Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There's a lot of love clearly put into this game despite it looking harder than Isaac which I'm pretty bad at without any kind of cheese.

Now if only there was something like this LP for Nuclear Throne...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

Sorry for the delay on new episodes. I've been going through the holidays and business and other issues and the absolute loving worst ~relationship drama~. This LP isn't on hiatus but I've got to get myself in the right mindset and I'm not there.

We'll still be here when you're ready to go on. Take care of yourself first.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Another pun if you missed it: Pilot's friend is literally a wing man.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

A good example of Isaac being fairer is that the first floor's guaranteed item doesn't require a key.

I mean gently caress, I played this game for a bit and continuous deaths across the first two floors just ended any desire to continue. Stuff like "Never spends keys on Brown Chests" or "Don't spend keys on a floor until you make it to the shop" (or what was the formulation? keys don't spawn at the shop if you open a chest?) seem like really counter intuitive things too, as correct as they turn out to be; I want to pop chests as soon as I find them to help myself progress, in Isaac or whatever if I come across a shot for a new permanent item you drat well can be sure I'm going to grab it ASAP.

Having said all that watching someone just demolish the game is providing me with a lot of enjoyment.

You can spend the keys on non-brown chests, you just can't pick any up until you hit the shop; still unintuitive, but not directly gimping. Really what's weird to me is that keys aren't considered precious drops that R.R. would steal like the ammo boxes, there may be relatively bad guns but if they're better than the sidearm in any way besides marking secret walls that's still another ammo pool so I'd have thought either both would be precious or neither of them would be.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Man, every time I get a good gun I blindly sidestep into bullets.

...every time I get a bad gun I blindly sidestep into bullets. This game is a lot easier when I'm just watching.

Thirding this. Scruffy is really drat good at this game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

After dying to a Blobulon while holding the Dark Marker (I was trapped against a table and already almost dead okay), my next run got me like 5 half-hearts of health with no hits before I made it to the Bullet King and I took him down with one full heart remaining. Then I died to an Iron Maiden on the second floor.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Glacier's actually automatic believe it or not, for a C rank and 45 casings base price it's really quite nice especially if you find it on the first floor. I don't know if you'd have gotten the Wallmonger on the ammo you had for it at the time but it deals 8 damage base + 6 for the explosion which is actually 5 more points of damage than the Void Marshal. It's 5x slower to shoot, sure, but you might not have taken that hit thanks to bullet destruction.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Oh yeah, one thing you didn't show off is stealing from the shop with the grapple hook. It ruins the main shop for the rest of the run, but if you're already near the last floor anyway, might as well snag something extra right? Alternatively there's other items you can use to steal from the shop that don't have a guaranteed chance of resulting in you getting caught and the shopkeeper removing all his wares from future floors.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

For Gungeon's sake you can make the Klobbe work if you have the Cog of Battle. Spread disappears and damage is multiplied by 10 through that synergy. Not sure how you'd make the Unfinished Gun work though.

Also I once found a black chest in the Lair, but I'm not even sure I opened it before dying. Such is life.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

There is a 'gun' that I wish could be used in a special Hotline Miami-esque challenge mode for a whole run. No secret room reveals or long range shot options without some luck would be rough but I imagine good plays of that would be pretty awesome to watch.

Skippy Granola posted:

What about stuff with bullets that bounce, like the Brick Breaker?

C-constant damage?!

There's another bullet type that makes every gun like that. It's extremely rad even without Remote Bullets and as long as you don't do something dumb like let the enemy actually have line of sight on you or constantly aim poorly it'll make every room that isn't wide open a joke.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Supply drop has made this game much more charitable, I think that the devs took their critics' words to heart

What Master Rounds has Scruffy turned in so far?

He's gotten all of them except one for the Hollow, I think. He's never gotten all of them in the same run for sure.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

What kills you on the second floor? Seems like it's probably regular enemies, is there one in particular that is causing issues?

I hate the Lead Maidens, they usually hit me at least once if I don't have anything a lot better than the crossbow and Gunsingers don't help any. The other real rear end in a top hat when he shows up is the Shadow Magician. Otherwise it's just attrition from bad play.

e: I am at least slowly improving to the point I've got the H shop open, the level shortcut guy and some other weirdo with a bucket freed. That last guy is a total jerk for not telling me what his deal is so I kicked his bucket down into the depths, maybe whenever I can actually get down there I'll find out what he's good for.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 2, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

With the elevator repairman, do you need both the master casings and whatever he is looking for?

You need everything he's asking for at that moment. If he wants 3 keys and 120 casings, and you go short on the casings to get the keys, you're outta luck unless you still have rooms to make up the difference.

e: In other words, if he wants a master round, keys, and casings and you're short on any of them, he won't take whatever you've got and you'll have to either make up the difference on the floor or do it another run.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 2, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Right, but what I've seen he doesn't ask for master rounds specifically. He'll say "To fix this I need X Keys and X casings" and then, if you have a master round on you he says "Oh, you have a level 1 master round! It's just what I need! Can I have it?"

From that wording it sounds like he would still fix it with the Keys and casings, and giving him the master round would be an extra.

Looking it up on the wiki, everything except Hegemony credits can be given to him before he asks for them, so if one of the things he needs is keys and another is casings and you have the casings, he'll take them ahead of time; if it's a package deal of keys and casings, though, you need both of them in the right quantities whether or not he's asking for them right now.

Also I now know that the bucket I kicked off was actually a helmet. I should feel bad for Ms. Goblin but knowing how continuing to be a jerk to her ends I don't.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hunter's the best for affording the key/casing requirement I think; Junior adds a lot of casings and keys to a run if you're lucky so you can still get chests without feeling a squeeze from not buying anything at the shop. I think Junior once found 20 casings for me from a room on the first floor.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The badness of most brown chest guns is outweighed by how funny they are and how nice the few decent ones can get with the right passives. I'll take even the blunderbuss and bouncy bullets any day over one extra key.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah it's really good as starters go. Best non-secret starter gun might actually be the cultist's; the spread is equal with the marine's, it outranges the other guns, deals as much damage per hit as the convict's, and it shoots/reloads almost as fast as the convict's. It'll never knock anything into a pit or get any respect though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

I don't know if your still taking challenge run suggestions but if so I'd like to suggest a Never Back Down challenge. Which has the simple rule of when you find the boss room you have to fight the boss right then.

Pretty sure that was already suggested, but I have some ideas.

Melee-only: This is only possible after the caped bulletkin-related secret character is unlocked and probably only sane after Casey is too, but the only boss that's got a real time limit with the starting melee weapon alone is the Wallmonger as opposed to the endurance limit of every other boss. That said I can't fathom how exhausting trying to kill the High Dragun or Lich would be with just 14 damage a swing and dodging perfectly all the time so probably don't attempt this unless you see Casey in the shop on a run with the secret guy.

Jester: Anything that a person off the street could say is definitely a gun just by looking at it cannot be used on enemies. Anything else is fair game (even bows, but the sillier, the better). Lots more options here for boss killing so it shouldn't need any caveats.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Think you'd need a second opinion for the sake for fairness on that run. Just someone to to go yea or nay on whether it's ungunny enough to use.

Oh sure. I feel like an older parent would be ideal but whoever works.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

57 deaths, only gotten to floor 3 twice, never gotten a master round. Feels bad.

The Glacier is how I got my first master round against the Bullet King. I think I can master Gatling Gull with a pillar if I just focus on taking absolutely no risks and can maybe do him without one if I practice dodging at close range enough with him.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Managed to get master round on treadnaught on my first go (yay!) - Had Shades' Pistol as a drop, so that was cool

Where does it keep your record of all the times you've died? I didn't see it in the ammonomicon.

It's in the book that opens after your run ends under the skull heading. I wish there were a more detailed record of what specifically killed you on runs though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Just unlocked the elevator to floor two, and...it seems like kind of a misstep. I mean, yes, I'm guaranteed to start at floor two with full health and at least one key...But also with no weapon or good item. I guess if I get good at beating the level 2 bosses now with the starting pistol, it won't be so bad.

But it does in a way seem like starting at level two is shooting yourself in the foot, if you'll pardon the pun. It's at least one less weapon chest, one less item chest and one less shop to visit, any one of which could get you something good. Not to mention the idea of possibly getting the master round for an additional heart

On a similar note, what would most people rather do, go straight from floor 1 to 2, or stop in at the oubliette instead for the extra chests and casings? I mean, if I was really good at the level 1 bosses and could guarantee a no hit run, and I had an embarrassing amount of keys, I'd just do both. And I don't think I've seen anything of lower value on oubliette than a green chest yet.

Starting at the second floor does kinda suck for anything other than practicing the enemies there, yeah. You still have to set it up if for no other reason than unlocking the Robot, though also you can't unlock later floor shortcuts without it and those do start giving you extra freebies. As for straight from 1 to 2 vs. Oubliette, definitely go to the Oubliette if you can beat it; it's the only way to get to the Abbey and choosing more stuff over less is never wrong if you have the time, patience, and skill for it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I am getting better at the game; I only took one stupid hit from Gatling Gull earlier in his library arena when I assumed he was not jumping on top of me but would have easily gotten the Master Round otherwise, corner shooting is so good when you can do it. Later that run I took plenty of hits from Gorgun but the Jolter was still quite effective. I rescued Cursula who showed up on the third floor immediately and I bought Wax Wings and the Shotgun Full of Love from her. The only reason I didn't make it to the boss was a stupid Gunzookie bullet, I had a bunch of pretty nice guns.

Here's a question though: Gun Friendship or Double Vision? I don't have a creeper to make this easier.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ach, you passed up the Monster Blood. Giant pool of poison creep comes out of you on hit, you become immune to poison, AND you get an extra heart. What's not to love?

Plague Pistol is not super awesome but it shoots fast and can do a surprising amount of extra damage through poison despite its low base; that said it's not nearly as great as other stuff you could buy.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Stealing from the store isn't poo poo per se (One item you only have to pay one curse for and don't lose anything else over) but yeah that's all it and the explosive decoy are really good for. Hypothetically the grappling hook is more useful but in practice it's not even good at stealing since unlike the decoy, box, and other items you're guaranteed to get caught outside rumored shenanigans.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Even if you are not playing the secret character in question you can't actually die by taking spice, you'll only have the one heart container but you can still keep eating spice. Shot spread continues to increase as you eat spice which dampens the extra damage somewhat if you don't have the right types of guns but the practical limit to a maximum spice playthrough's spice consumption comes from curse - an enemy we haven't seen yet only shows up once you hit 10 curse and simply put it makes the entire rest of the Gungeon extremely unsafe on top of curse's effects on chests and item drops. You can't eat more spice if you're dead after all!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The chance to get items after clearing a room goes down by 1% per point of curse but the chance to get ammo after clearing a room goes up by 5% per point. Multiply 1 by both of those and you get a ~132% chance to find ammo after finishing a room for 9 curse (this is before the bonus for not finding anything after clearing a room, which stacks, factors in). Hunter is of course the best choice for an intentional curse run partly for starting with a gun that actually takes ammo but also because the crossbow paired with the silver bullets deals an extra 50% damage to jammed on top of the 225% extra damage you get out of silver bullets to begin with (for a whopping 337.5% more damage, more than enough to obliterate their extra health). That said it wouldn't be nearly as deadly exciting as watching you clear a cursed run with the Pilot so people probably aren't going to vote for it. :v:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Definitely desynced and stayed that way around that point, but that was a drat fine run all the same. Also whoever is hating on your co-commentators needs a life.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I finished the shortcut to level 2 with the help of the railgun. That gun is incredible and just ruins bosses. Sadly even though I beat the Oubliette I didn't make it to the Abbey because I took a stupid hit on the floor long before I got to it. I still made it to the mines, but the Shell was not enough in spite of being a very funny gun that's also pretty decent for room clearing. Thankfully in addition to finishing the shortcut I also freed Frifle so now I have murderquest goals I can make on my long road to stop sucking so much.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Spudd posted:

Ohhh Heckblaster is a reference to Earthworm Jim's gun, I don't know if you mentioned that in the video. God thinking about that show/game takes me back.

I don't think they mentioned it but the way they said "Whoa Nelly!" a few times for good measure was close enough for me. Good times for sure.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

White Coke posted:

Is there a key-gun though?

Yes. It's pretty great.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Great to see this back in action with a drat nailbiter update. Hopefully you unlock Casey next run so you can show off the glory!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I think Scruffy's earned a break from the robot. He can always do a hell run with it later which will probably be enough.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

On that note, there's two other types of chest we haven't seen yet which definitely ought to be opened if that's the first time they show up in the LP (because that may be the last time we see them given their spawn chances).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Other good blue chest weapons: Glacier (this saw Scruffy through a boss or two the run before last), Barrel, Mahoguny, Poxcannon, Banana, Siren, Sniper Rifle... there's more good/decent blue chest weapons than bad ones and even the subpar options are still better than the average brown chest drop (i.e. the Sticky Crossbow is still usable by comparison to the Unfinished Gun, Lower case r, or Klobbe).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Does the robot only take a curse penalty from taking spice? What happens when you get to 10 curse or more? I would think there isn't much difference between jammed enemies and normal enemies for a robot besides how many shots they take and all the money they drop.

Yes, Dwarf Fortress FUN! happens, and maybe but I'd expect the Bullet or Hunter would be better for a maximum curse run due to said FUN. I mean, Scruffy did just kill the Lich as the Pilot, but that'll get old and needlessly cruel real fast.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Scruffy never bothered to wait on opening a chest to use the chest teleporter though. Might as well have sold it and bought bullet time for all the good he let it do him.

e: Of course it's the last floor before he dies he gives it a shot.

e2: To contribute a little more, teleported chests either show up in the starting room or boss foyer - the boss foyer is where it'll be upgraded, otherwise it stays whatever rank it had been. On the plus side, chests with broken locks courtesy of Trusty Lockpicks that get teleported will be fully opened on the next floor.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 25, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

Don't shops spawn on every floor? I'm asking because I'm currently in the middle of this latest update, and you kind of brain-fart on the shop. I just wanted some clarification on this.

If that's the floor I'm thinking of then that shop required a key to get in and he was keyless at the time.

Also, the Shadow Magician can appear anytime on floors 2-5. His appearance has nothing to do with the Bullet's past being finished or not (I've seen him and not even unlocked the Bullet yet).

I don't know if you've unlocked the gun for it yet but one gimmick that would be very viable by itself would be roleplaying Samus for a run.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

White Coke posted:

Do the starting weapons have any synergies?

The only basic guns that have synergies are the Cultist's Dart Gun and Blasphemy. The Dart Gun's damage goes up by 25% when you get the Mega Douser and Blasphemy gets a permanent damage buff if you get Cog of Battle's reload right even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

Just picked this up, apologies if it's already been asked/explained earlier, but: is there any sort of rubric for when/where secret rooms show up, like in Binding of Isaac? Or do you pretty much just have to spend a lot of ammo checking walls? (Related question, but will things like the Flare Gun and Crossbow still crack walls just like normal bullets?)

This page indicates something like that but unlike BoI there are several ordinary rooms that can be the sole secret room attachment too so without that possibly non-comprehensive guide handy it's not nearly as easy to reliably find. And yes, any gun with limited ammo can find secret rooms; that's one saving grace of stuff like the Klobb or lowercase r, you no longer have to waste ammo for your actually good guns.

• Locked thread