Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've got 100+ hours in both gungeon and isaac and my hot take is that my worst gungeon run is still better than my worst isaac run.

The base pistol is 100% capable of clearing the first 2 floors easily (except the pilot who has the most horrible gun ever), and even after that I'll regularly keep using it to clean up later rooms after the harder enemies have been eliminated.

The bosses are horrible bullet sponges if you're stuck with only trash level guns but that is a really rare occurrence and even then they still feel more fun than isaac bosses in the same scenario.

I clear the dragun most runs in gungeon and don't bother resetting the first floor if I don't get anything good, while in isaac I"ll straight up reset forever until I get an A-tier drop from the first secret room because even the first floor can be an unfun slog. I've quit runs before I found the secret room just because I got into a very large room with 12 spider enemies and I didn't feel like spending 90 seconds chasing them down.

Also I didn't know about the key/shopkeeper interaction until I saw this video and the 'don't open brown chests' is hardly some super secret top level strat, you'll realize after a few runs that keys are rare and valuable and brown chests generally contain junk. It won't take long until you decide it's better to save your keys for chests more likely to give you good rewards.

I was real surprised to find out that the internet seems to take so many issues with gungeon as I had nothing but fun when I played it. I still haven't quite unlocked everything, the hunter quests we'll see later in the LP I'm assuming are complete horrible garbage and never should've been implemented as they are, but I definitely played through it enough and still feel like it has the most fair runs of this sort of roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I find isaac way more of a slog than gungeon, enemies on the first floor go down in only 3 bullets and only 4 bullets on the second floor. The pistol is more than capable of handling that. There are a few tougher enemies, the big knight dudes on the first floor take 20 shots right off the bat I think, but thats about it.

Enemies in isaac take more than 3 shots from the get go and you shoot slower and it's harder to control/can't shoot diagonally so you spend longer in each room even though the rooms are smaller.

I think the biggest thing is people undervaluing the pistol. Especially the better pistols like the marine's and the criminals (one of which is very accurate and holds more bullets, the other of which has much higher dps at the cost of needing to be closer because of it's inaccurate nature) which I regularly use just to preserve ammo of the more valuable guns.

I can't speak for how other people experienced the early game of gungeon but my experience wasn't like scruffy's. I didn't clear the dragun on my tenth run, I'm pretty sure I didn't even SEE the dragun for 20+ hours of playtime, but I made incremental progress constantly, I was regularly getting the master round for the first floor before I was reliably beating the third floor and unlocking guns all the while.

Just the exploration of not knowing what crazy gun you're going to find next made the game more than fun enough while I was exploring.

And while I'm sure this is not an opinion many people share after playing gungeon I have no more desire to play BoI. If I want to play a randomly generated run around and explore/shoot things I'm going to play gungeon. Sure they are very different in alot of ways but at the end of the day I'd rather never feel pressured to reset on the first floor and not experience that absolutely insanity inducing slog that late game isaac becomes if you haven't found anything good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Something I think is worth mentioning that I haven't seen in the videos or thread yet. You can use the number buttons to swap weapons just like any ole FPS game. You can also drag and drop weapons in your inventory to set up the buttons the way you want making it very easy to swap weapons on the fly without even opening the menu.

I pretty much always have a pistol on number 1 just so I can switch to it and finish off weak enemies and save ammo.

E: I misremembered, you can't easily drag and drop weapons but you can drop them on the ground and pick them back up to reorganize, I do that alot with empty guns to put all the empty guns at the far end of my inventory and all my loaded guns together.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just finished this run (had to get the picture before the actual end of the run because I was going to kill a past)

This is the most poo poo I've ever had in a single run by a large amount. Just crazy amounts of stuff.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Clone run combined with ring of chest friendship + mimic teeth necklace.

So I was spawning a chest every few rooms that I could always open since mimics are never locked. The overall quality of items was relatively garbage, I didn't get anything better than a green chest all run, but drat is that alot of stuff.

E: also with no need to buy keys and a fair amount of coolness I was buying out the shops on every level just for the hell of it.

EE: and man my next run starts with a floor 1 seven leaf clover. It's a beautiful day to be a gungeon. And a mimic tooth necklace on the next floor.... unlimited black/red chests if I'm willing to fight super mimics... sure I'm game.

EEE: This was my very first winning (the entire gungeon) run. Turns out 100 golden bullets and a doodad to stop time makes it pretty easy. That last boss though, wow.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 31, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I know one of those awkward guns that I just super love seeing is the alien engine. Extremely short range and super awkward to use but it absolutely tears through your normal rooms, with a bit of practice you can use the recoil from firing it intentionally well and do it and run attacks fairly safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats an old gun you filthy casual!

• Locked thread