Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
People are complaining about how the game handles difficulty but it is actually one of the things that I absolutely endorse. What you need to understand about difficulty first and foremost that it is always relative to player skill, a beginner might have trouble with the most basic things while a pro will just breeze through the game. The second thing to keep in mind is that player skill is not static, players will be getting better and better as they play, making the game feel easier with time. By rewarding players that are doing well and giving them more resource what you are doing is amplifying the learning curve effect. Not only is the game easier because the player goes up in skill but the game also gets easier itself in response to that. This creates a much bigger sense of progression, creating a breaking point where the player is suddenly making tons of progress with each run where as before he would barely be making it to the second floor.

The fact that scruffy mentioned a "click"moment in one of his videos is no coincidence, Gungeon was designed for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
Here is my challenge is this: Every time you pick up an item you must pause the game, open the Ammonomicron and read its description out loud. The same goes for beating bosses and the first time you kill an enemy belonging to one type.

Yea I know it's not a real challenge but seeing you completely ignoring the Ammonomicron makes me sad.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
The trick to beating maidens is that you need to play balls to the wall. If you are trying to hold back against them at max range you are putting yourself at a disadvantage because their bullets have two stages. The first one is easy to predict, the second one is a lot harder. You can dodge the first phase since it is always the same pattern and then once they start to converge on you, if you are close, you will have a much greater chance to find your perfect escape window.

Now this bit of advice isn't perfect. Obviously it does not work in cramped rooms, which to be fair is really a minority of Lead Maiden encounters. Most of them happen in big open rooms specifically with that sort of thing in mind. The other thing to keep in mind is other enemies but you won't need to worry about that until the lower floors most of the time.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011

Trick Question posted:

I love the convict's starting pistol, it's actually pretty competitive if you get some accuracy upgrades. Definitely my favorite starting character, it's hard to deal with the other starting pistols after using her.

+1

I think the convict has the best sidearm out of all the starting characters. That being said I kinda wish she had the Cigarettes as her active item instead of the Molotov Cocktail. I mean, you can see her smoking in the breach if you hang around for a bit, it only makes sense! In more mechanical term it would have made for some fun synergy with Enraging Photo and added some interesting risk vrs reward management.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011

MJ12 posted:

I feel that it would be much better if there was some way to start a run with a certain item using Hegemony Credits, because it's definitely an item which seems like it would only be good when you got used to the unique mechanics.

Just going to chime in and say that I've wanted a feature like this for a while. I've got a whole truckload of these credits at this point and nothing to spend them on other than dice runs.

Dice runs are... well we will get to it when we get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
We finally got to my favorite gun in the game. Which is not actually a gun.

Blasphemy is the most busted thing in the game. It puts most guns to shame and there is one simple reason why. Guns generally don't provide you with very many defensive options, being more offensive tools. Usually you have your passives and active items for that. But Blaphemy is both decent offense and amazing defense. Cutting through bullets makes the game feel like you suddenly have a riposte button, just swing when the enemy is about to hit you and not only do you nullify the attack but you also deal damage in the process. If you want to do a no-items run, this is the "gun" to do it with.

• Locked thread