Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love me some roguelites. Is this better or worse than Crypt of the Necrodancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jade Star posted:

I've never played Gungeon, and I'm terrible at Necrodancer, but I don't think that's a fair question. That's like asking if madden 20xx is a better sports game than fifa 20xx. They're both sports games, but that's where the similarities stop. Necrodancer is all about rhythm. It's on a grid and all you do is move up down left or right. There's a couple items for gear or bombs etc and that's about it. Just from the first video Gungeon looks more like a Binding of Issac style. You freely move in any direction, you aim 360 degrees with the mouse, you've got a major inventory investment in a plethora of guns and (i presume) passive items and bonuses. So they're both rouge-ish, but how they go about it is wildly different from each other.

That's fair to say, I always played CotN with the non-rhythm character because I have no rhythm, so it was just an arcade-y rougelite to me. I forget that the movement and experience of the game is so fundamentally different for 99% of the other people who played it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

That would be good, but also good would be getting guaranteed money drops from enemies. I hate that money can fall down pits and disappear, and the shop feels actively unhelpful sometimes due to the randomized nature of my income.

One of the best things about Necrodancer is that the shop always has at least 50g in it to bomb out, so even if it's the first room you find, it can still help you. That one detail helped me learn the game than more anything else, and the shop being so bad in this game is really disheartening. Also, a shooting range in the character select area with unlimited ammo would be nice, so I can test out a gun I picked up on any of my runs

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Trick Question posted:

If the money falls down the pit you just get it instantly as opposed to it having to float to you. It'll pop up over your duder's head.

That's not made clear at all! But it's good to know. It took me 17 runs to get to the second boss, so I believe the Steam average.
Also, take all of the time that you need to, we'll wait

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't think that there's much else that you can do to make the LP more informative or helpful towards newer players, you're already explaining mechanics and strategies that the game itself is completely mum on, which is extremely helpful. The only real question I still have about the game is about the mechanics of coolness, but after the first couple of runs, most other things need to be practiced and the boss fights definitely help

I think a good deal of the frustration being expressed in the thread is because when we see the video, it looks much, much easier than it actually is. This second one may not be true for everyone, but we have also learned optimal play strategies, like avoiding brown chests and purchasing keys before picking up drops, which can take a bit of the joy out of the game.
Like, my biggest gripe in learning this game was about money and the shop. However, I'm upset at the shopkeeper because he basically only sells me keys on my runs, not because he's actually unhelpful. I know that it's better to use him to get a key and gamble on higher level chests rather than to buy most items he has for sale on the first or second levels, so finding him isn't exciting like I know that it should be

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Should have waited to pick it up, Oh well

SkyTalon2314 posted:

This is very true. There's another roguelike-ish game that got LP'd recently, Darkest Dungeon. Tried to load that back up, and... well... yeah. I uninstalled it shortly thereafter. Like, I could LP Guild of Dungeoneering and make the game look far easier than it is, just simply because I know the mechanics well enough. In fact, I sort of experienced that when I convinced one of my friends who streams to do the game one week. He was not thrilled at that.

That said, I'm still probably going to grab Gungeon. It looks to be an action game I can enjoy, even if some of the mechanics are bullshit. Or should I say bullshot?

Don't let a little salt dissuade you, it's a very fun game, but it is not forgiving

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Teledahn posted:

You're trying to use low hormone levels and superior vision as an insult?

I don't have a link to any specific case studies, but the demographics and genetic factors are fairly clear. 8.3% of (human) males have some sort of colour deficiency, while the rate is only 0.5% for females. The kindergarten explanation is that males (XY) are more vulnerable to genetic damage and defects than females (XX), as the X chromosome contains all of required genetic information for a human being and the Y mostly modifies that being into an emotionally stunted, overly muscled, generally hairy being. Two X chromosomes means a second chance if one has a nonfunctional gene. It's also exceedingly rare for humans to have serious deficiencies seeing blue light generally, being unable to distinguish the green shades from redder hues is much more popular common. Generally these people can see red just fine, but simply don't have eyes equipped for sensing much green. As for anything more specific, I'd be interested myself in seeing (ha!) something more conclusive on blue-spectrum superiority of a sort. I can't imagine bloodshot eyes (being a surface feature) would change much. Light is still coming in through the pupil, any stray incoming scattered through the tissue of the eyeball would be heavily red-tinged anyway (as there's plenty of blood flow in an eyeball) and I find it hard to believe that visible bloodshottedness would affect the blood-to-tissue ratio much.

Anyway.
Enter the Gungeon is also neat.

E: Well there's a heck of a post for the top of a new page.

On top of the lower instance of colorblindness that a second X chromosome brings, there are some XX women and XXY men who have a fourth color sensitive cell that detects a wavelength of light between red and green, and can somehow strengthen night vision (color sensitive cells aren't particularly good at detecting low levels of light, which is why nocturnal animals are generally colorblind). Some estimates put it as high as 10% of men and 50% of women that have 4 color sensitive cells instead of the standard 3 colors that the majority of people perceive.

Oddly enough, only about 3% of women with the extra color sensitive cells have been found to have a functioning 4th receptor, and no men have ever been documented to have a functional 4th color receptor.

I don't know how this came up in the Gungeon thread, but I like genetics and physiology a lot

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

For men, I don't think there's ever been a recorded instance of the 4th cone cell actually doing anything, but they can have them present in their eyes. Even for the majority of women, there's very few recorded cases of the person being able to perceive the 4th color, despite so many women possessing the extra photoreceptor
The last time I really researched this topic, the going theory was that the ability to see a color in between red and green was utilized so little during childhood development that the neural connections were almost always pruned by the time that a person with the 4th receptor cell reached adulthood. There was also some debate over whether or not the brain could even interpret the additional information that an extra cone cell sends, so it's possible that a second mutation is necessary to be able to both detect and process this wavelength, which is why it's so rare

This talk reminds me of the Mantis Shrimp hype a few years ago; how they had like a dozen unique photoreceptors and people assumed that what they saw was an unimaginable kaleidoscope of beauty. It turns out that have really lovely color vision, and save for the ability to see ultraviolet light, they're somewhere between dogs and humans in what they can actually see. The huge volume of unique color sensitive cells was due to the fact that each cell could only detect a very narrow wavelength. If they didn't have a ridiculous amount of them, they wouldn't really have color vision at all.

I want to discuss Gungeon more, but I got super butthurt about it a week or two ago and haven't touched it since. :v: I'm still stuck on floor 3 and I don't have time to mash my face against this game now that school started. I wish I did though, this last LP run felt more like one of my misadventures and that made it extra cool to see

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Supply drop has made this game much more charitable, I think that the devs took their critics' words to heart

What Master Rounds has Scruffy turned in so far?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

You know, I thought it was a hyperbole about how good higher level chests can be until I had 2 brown chests and no guns in the shop. I mistakenly decided to gamble on the contents therein and almost died to basic enemies
I opened up my brown chests to find the Lower Case A and an ammolet. The LCA is a gimmick weapon with ~1k rounds that sends out streams of letters that spell out "BULLET". Amusing, but it does significantly less damage than the starting pistols, which I didn't realize until I beat Gatling Gull and got a few rooms into the second floor and was having knock-down, drag-out fights with shotgunkin

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Eh, I knew I should have just called it "The Dumb Alphabet Gun" instead. It was hilarious to use at first and it carries an ungodly amount of ammo, but I was spending so much time pulling the trigger that even the "BLAM" that pops out of bullet impacts started to lose its charm. I think finding out that it did so little after fighting Gatling Gull may have been what soured me so much, though...

Gatling Gull and the Beholster are the bosses I have the most trouble with right now. 65 deaths and I'm almost ready to take on the 4th floor bosses. And probably ragequit for another week or two after mashing my face against them
As for characters, I used to love the Pilot for his money and lockpick shenanigans, but the better I got, the more I started to like the Hunter. I feel like she's the most effective Gungeoneer, despite the Marine looking better on paper

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Mix it with scattershot or rocket propelled bullets, you've got a killer

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Does glitched include rainbow? Because rainbow chests kick rear end

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kemix posted:

Not sure if it's been pointed out yet, but I -believe- the Wind-up gun is basically a 1-to-1 recreation of the same guns seen in the Futurama episode War is the H-Word where Fry and Bender (and Leela under disguise) are drafted into a war on an alien planet. The gun is basically the same one that Fry and the others use on that same episode. youtotallycan'ttellilovewatchingfuturama :thesperg:

Cool, someone else's autism snapped before mine. I kept hearing, "You've got the only wound-ed up positron shooter, Fry!" every time Scruffy reloaded

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

If you want a super OP floor clearing combo, the Raiden Coil and metronome vaporizes everything

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Without this video, I'd never realized that there were legit consequences for getting too cursed besides fighting Jammed enemies, despite running into this bastard once :doh:

generally I prefer posted:

This happened to me as well the other day, and it freaked me out since I'd never seen it in the LP or generally in gameplay. I was wondering if it was a curse thing, maybe? I think that was the one run where I had the Fightsabre.

Same! I had the Yellow Chamber that spawns and despawns charmed enemies with stone tentacles. I thought that the reaper was summoned because I was protecting the charmed enemies to see that cool despawn animation, but I also had the Huntsman, the Fightsabre, Cursed Bullets, I bought the YC from Cursela, and I had prayed at the winged bullet statue...

The only thing that I can't decide is good or bad is that he's untouchable, as in bullets don't touch him. So on one hand, he can't be frozen or charmed or made to slow down, but he also doesn't tank your shots for other enemies

And hey Scruffy, does this still work post Supply Drop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUflIq_4gNs I don't have a second controller to test it, and I'd love to see if the Cultist has a past. That exact video was actually the first I'd seen of the game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh, you hadn't talked much about the cultist before, so I spoiler-tagged it, but I can definitely see why you didn't say much... There just isn't that much to say

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What would be super cool is a singleshot run: Alpha/Omega bullets, Hip Holster, Cog of Battle, Backup Gun, and only use guns that carry one round in the magazine

Grayshift posted:

Don't forget the Battle Standard for the companion army. That'll be Ser Junkan, Super Space Turtle, Wolf, Space Friend, R2G2, Wingman, Badge, and Chicken Flute

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm really liking the concept of the Fellowship of Ser Junkan. Get every companion plus a level one Junkan, then go on an epic quest to level him up and defeat the Gungeon. Also, you aren't allowed to fire your gun! :v:

Don't forget Junior II and maybe Blank companion? I think the only gun you should be able to fire is the Eye of the Beholster

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I think that the issue of all the challenges being a little same-y is because there's not much of the game left, save for grinding and a few little things that just need to show up. I'm at the stage where I want to see the game snapped in half by insane builds if it's mostly grind left

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Too lazy to make a different reload animation :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Hey, not all of the starting pistols do the same damage!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I'm gonna repeat my run idea since I actually had it the other day and it was super fun

Faster than a Bullet

Give yourself heavy bullets, bloody eye, and a couple speed ups. It's super fun!

I just like the idea of adding Gundromeda Strain and Liquid Valkyrie to the mix, while playing as The Bullet.

Blasphemy has given him the strength to destroy the Gungeon

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What are the "beneficial" modifiers supposed to be?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I suppose it could be considered good, but with any creep related modifiers, it's a couple enemies frozen in place and a bunch of jammed enemies that you don't always have eyes on.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It really seems like some bullets (specifically from the cannonballrog) aren't stopped by guon stones at all, which is bullshit. The game breaks its own rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Especially for a bullet-hell rogue-like, I can't complain about ~30 hours of high quality LP. Thank you sir, and I'm definitely someone who bought the game because of this LP

• Locked thread