Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Zoig posted:

Okay I have to ask, I'm not the only one who noticed that the pilots bullets were flying at near right angles from the crosshair in that gif, right? Because I feel like its being glossed over and I know that's not normal.

I think the bullets are deflecting off of tables and bookshelves for that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I was thinking while you were talking about this game vs isaac, and it occurs to me that isaac has been around for YEARS now, and there are a lot of people who have been playing it for a very long time. I think their skill creep and unlock creep have both gone up enough that they're a lot better now than when they started, but it's been long enough they forgot how hard the game is at first for new players. You keep unlocking stuff that makes me think this game has a pretty similar difficulty curve to it, and if you can get the hang of the game mechanics, it's no worse to git gud with.

Also, I always love when you have those close calls that make you do the little high pitched giggle.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

At 14:09 scruffy changes weapons and enters 'bullettime' slomo while the weapon wheel is open; why does that happen? It's never happened for me afaik

It's happened every time for him that he opens the wheel. He talks about it in the very first episode.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This talk of synergies and people suddenly starting to get more interested in the game thanks to someone really good at it showing it off is really reminding me of the early days of Isaac, back around when Wraith of the Lamb came out for the original build. Like, people had stopped worrying about the "git gud" portion of strategy, and started learning how to have fun with all the weird things you could do in it. Honestly, this thread is starting to make me interested too, and I have such a full plate already...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So uh, when you got the second piece of trash, did it make the garbage cannon even stronger? Cause uh, you never tried it out again.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Seriously. Otherwise I'd just start blowing up chests willy nilly once I got it and make a super weapon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

JT Jag posted:

"Once you pick up a new weapon you can only use it until you either replace it or it runs out of bullets" is a really good challenge.

Xarn posted:

Overcursed run, because yesterday I found out that having too much curse makes... interesting things happen and I want someone better at this than me to face it. :v:

These two (not together) I second.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Felinoid posted:

"Use your most recent gun until it runs out of ammo" runs into the trap of stuff like having the pitchfork equipped when running into a fire enemy. Same for poison vs. unpoisonable. Should there be an exception made in those circumstances, or should he have to run the gun dry to use another one? If the latter, certain guns just become liabilities when they wouldn't otherwise be.

E: For that matter, what about bosses? Would be be obliged to empty out a t-shirt cannon against a boss before he can properly try to kill it?

I'd think that switching to a different gun for those enemies--and only those enemies, not any others in the room with them is an acceptable exception.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, you guys convinced me. With leftover wallet funds from xmas, I wound up buying the game for less than 2 bucks out of pocket today. I'll be trying it out for the first time tonight. Wish me luck!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

First session, I do alright as the pilot, only to get bad luck with guns (got the alien one) and because I'm new, died on the Gatling Gull. Second time around played as the marine, found his gun to be much better. Get homing bullets and the hegemony rifle. Also get the gull. Take it out alright. Decide that's enough for this moment and save and quit.

So far with hands on impression, it's not really any harder or more unfair than Isaac unlike what many have said. I dig it, and I'm sure I'll waste a lot more time on it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lazy Bear posted:

+3 Coolness. Because voting is always super cool.

Yeah, scruffs got one a few videos ago but didn't dwell on it. Probably because of its simplicity.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So far I've died to Gatling Gull twice, beat him once, and died to the bullet king.

The game excites me because it totally reminds me of how bad I was when i first picked up Isaac, and how much of the game is about learning skill slowly over time, tempered by a very finicky random factor. Scratches an itch not enough games do for me. In other words, I'm glad I bought it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

For the record, you tossed 6 guns into the grinder.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I looked up spice, and after the third use, the only benefit is increased damage, while still decreasing health and increasing curse. Interestingly enough, the other secret character apparently doesn't get affected health wise by spice. Seems like that might be a fun way to do the 10+ Curse Challenge...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

The big question is:

Is there a limit to how many times you can use spice?

Apparently not. As [REDACTED] doesn't have their health changed by it, if you don't mind the growing curse you can turn into a truly scary damage dealer if you just kept taking it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The real question is if the game features the upgrade-the Quad Glacier

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So I looked up some synergies since you mentioned you thought they were there. The Thunderclap does indeed synergize the BSG, making it fire faster, and increasing player speed slightly, so that's nice.

Also LOL, if you get both the Klobbe and the AU gun (get it? It's a James Bond joke) the Klobbe they actually have negative synergy, both getting reductions in accuracy!

Finally, now that he's unlocked, the Robot is the guy I was alluding to earlier as being the best guy for spice runs, as his health isn't affected either way by it, negating one of the major penalties for high spice counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MJ12 posted:

I assume that the Convict's failure in the past was that she didn't win the fight. She started it, but she couldn't win without the art of the dodgeroll that she learned in the Gungeon. So the way she doesn't change the past is if you fight her boss and lose.

Think about it. Changing the past means beating the cops. ie not arrested and sent to prison. She isn't a convict because she got away...

• Locked thread