Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grayshift
May 31, 2013
This is a real fine game. Haven't played it in a long while due to waiting for the Supply Drop update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The dog barks at mimics!

Scruffy got two really good drops that run. The Megahand is a room clearer par excellence, combining high burst, high damage, and high accuracy as well as a ludicrous ammo count if you're only using charged shots like you should. It's also decently common. It, and its bigger sister, are good signs for any run. Notice how many enemies got blammed out of existence before they could be shown off because it's real real good at removing the most dangerous guy in the room before they can act.

The other was the speed up shoes. There are a couple passives that will grant speed, but they're much rarer than in a game like Binding of Isaac. Simply being able to get away and outpace a danger zone is a far bigger defensive boost than anything the red guon stone did.

The Composite Gun is a nice, very high DPS weapon with no frills, but it suffers from a common affliction of nearly all the high DPS guns. Super low ammo count.

Very well played, though. Flawlessing Ammoconda and Dragun both is top class, especially with the dearth of ammo drops that run. I do disagree about brown chests in the case that you know it's not a gun. Even low level passives are often worth a key.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The only hard attack Gatling Gull has is the semi-random spray while walking toward you. The issue is that the origin point of his shots is so far out from the core of his sprite that when his direction changes enough for his sprite to rotate it will jump by at least a character length. So suddenly his threat point is much closer than you were expecting, and trying to circle tighter makes things worse. Basically he gains an unusual amount of ground on you when you have to make a corner if you're kiting him around the edge like you ought to.

If you get a good arena he's still easy to chump, but on bad arenas I'll actually stop firing to focus purely on dodging for that attack.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The MST3K reference in the Bullet's past did not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Lichy Trigger Finger.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I wish Gungeon was more amenable to modding. I was just struck by the idea of a "passive drops only" type run. Maybe start with one random gun and your sidearm, and see how far you can trick them out with mods. Could even the pilot's pistol/nailgun/lowercase r be made workable with enough passives slapped on to it?

Seeing those Binding of Isaac style gamebreaking synergies more often would be nice.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Don't forget the Battle Standard for the companion army. That'll be Ser Junkan, Super Space Turtle, Wolf, Space Friend, R2G2, Wingman, Badge, and Chicken Flute.

For the proposed Passives Only type run, I'd suggest:
1. Give yourself an array of lovely guns at the start. Nailgun, Klobbe, Pea Shooter, Molotov Launcher, Dueling Pistol, Lowercase R, Unfinished Gun - anything that you'd normally feed to a muncher just to get it out of your inventory. These are the only guns you can use for the entire run.
2. Whenever you leave a chest item for the resourceful rat to take, give yourself a passive of your choosing. Probably preferring the ones that change the actual bullet properties.

Some other fun synergies to show off.

Crown of Guns + Remote Bullets
Ring of Triggers + Compass + BSG + Blank's Companion Ring
All the table techs. Maybe not include Table Tech Money, since it flips all tables at once.
Cormorant. That's something I've never managed to acquire.
All the Ammolets + Owl

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I had a thought regarding the two AWOL NPCs. They're both credit dumps, so it could be possible their appearance is linked to having bought enough items from the various merchants. So they show up just as you're running short of new things to unlock. Whether it would be just the acquisitions department progress or all credits earned/spent, no idea.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
All Guon stones but no dodge rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
More fun runs now that I've gone and installed Mod the Gungeon myself.

Pray & Spray: Scattershot, Helix Bullets, Eyepatch and Double Vision. Stormtrooper style. Pretty crazy with beam-type weapons if you add in Bouncy/Angry Bullets too.
Deadeye: Scope, Laser Sight, Muscle Relaxant. Makes shotgun type weapons interesting. Basically the opposite of the above.
Nothin' Personal Kid: Super Hot Watch + Bloody Scarf

Iceman: Ice Cube, Heart of Ice, Frost Bullets, Frost Ammolet, Ice Bomb, Crestfaller, Glacier, Cold 45, Frost Giant, Snowballer, Freeze Ray, Ice Breaker, Heavy Boots.
I'm sure fire, poison and electricity themed runs are all equally possible.

I'd love to see some clever uses of Duct Tape. I've gotten it rarely and most of my fusions have been duds.

• Locked thread