Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Olesh posted:

Gungeon is charming. I like the concept and I like the art and sound and music. The problem is the gameplay scales in a tedious way.

It has many problems that aren't insurmountable, but the main problem is this: enemy HP in Gungeon scales the deeper you go. Not only do new (tougher) enemies show up, but enemies from previous floors gain HP depending on what floor you're on. This, combined with inherent weapon inaccuracy and limited ammo, means that every weapon gets less effective the further down you go.

Isaac can have bad runs, where you just don't get anything good or interesting, but has very powerful individual items - Brimstone is a good example of an item that essentially guarantees a normal victory. Gungeon just doesn't scale anywhere near as strongly. Guns can offer powerful and useful upgrades, but the ammo limitation means they're ultimately temporary and permanent passive upgrades range from almost completely pointlessly ineffective (Ammolets) to barely noticable (damage upgrades), with a handful of "good" upgrades that are by no means common or reliable. The hallmark of a "bad" run in Isaac is one where you get no damage upgrades, but this describes almost every run in Gungeon - and it's exacerbated by the enemy HP scaling, because your damage effectively gets worse from what you start with, not better. Even getting a damage upgrade or two only mitigates the problem.

It sounds like you need to git gud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Bought the game for myself and thankfully it runs very smoothly. It reminds me of the online mmo Realm of the Mad God; one of my all time favorites. But without the stress lag! Its thankfully just as hard and unforgiving as that game is as well.
Although I do have a question: I recall an enemy that would continuously spawn other enemies if left alone. Can this be abused for lots and lots of casings?

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 1, 2017

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Oh yeah the muncher is an incredible gamble. Not worth it at all I think.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I kinda want to know more about that cheat script.
Also that gif makes me feel better about my skill level but I still want to cheat

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
At 14:09 scruffy changes weapons and enters 'bullettime' slomo while the weapon wheel is open; why does that happen? It's never happened for me afaik

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
NO pistol run, so Hunter or Convict

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Scaramouche posted:

Pretty obvious, but if anyone was wondering what was up with Frifle and the Grey Mauser:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser

See also: Any novel by Scott Lynch (who rips them off hard)

Is Scott Lynch a goon? I bet he's a goon. Love his books.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Ugh Scruffy, now I need to hear you sing!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Scaramouche posted:

Pretty obvious, but if anyone was wondering what was up with Frifle and the Grey Mauser:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser

See also: Any novel by Scott Lynch (who rips them off hard)

Also Scruffy you missed a chance to say you 'had a bad feeling about this'
Great run!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Accidentally started firing in the shop and then threw the gun into the muncher; it did its thing and I was frozen in place while the shopkeep shot me to death
Jr.'s face just says it all; and the Hunter's is pretty great too.
Side note; I've been messing with my graphics settings, the ingame gamma, but I just can't get rid of that ugly fuzz on the text. It makes reading the ammonomicon impossible :(

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I just heard Scruffy say 'Yaaaaas' FLASH ahh ahhh 'poo poo never end' and 'sassy'. This was a good day.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Even Scruffy has his days!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Keep em comin' Scruf!
Hey its Skippy Granola! I remember his hysterical Magicka LP!
e Around 37:00 the audio seems to be a bit lagging, either on your end or Skippy's

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 23, 2017

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Have we seen an item that ups rate of fire?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Am I the only one disappointed in the lack of robotic choices in the poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I like to think that if he did use that combo he wouldn't have had space for that ration that saved him

• Locked thread