Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I decided to pick this up and try it and as it turns out, I am nowhere near as good at this game. :v:

Got owned by the gorgun on my first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Does anyone else find the second floor bosses easier than the first floor ones? Maybe it's me, or maybe I have better weapons by then. but I tend to find the Beholster or the Gorgun easier than the Twins or the King. Which is weird, because I have way more practice at them, what with them being the first bosses.

Ammoconda can eat a dick though.

Nah, its about having a good gun. If you have a lovely run, where the best gun you get is tshirt cannon, or god-forbid, that laser cube thingy, floor 2 bosses are still hard as gently caress... as opposed to first floor, which I can mostly reliably clear out with basic gun.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

pumpinglemma posted:

I think Gorgun is fairly easy to clear damageless with the basic gun. Beholster is a lot harder but still sometimes doable, and Ammoconda is pretty much impossible because you don't have enough damage output to kill the pellets.

I admit I faced gorgun only once so far, and that was before I had any idea what she can do, so my strategy of keeping back to have time to react backfired. Also I got caught in the scream thing. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Agent Interrobang posted:

I do think taking an armor hit in a boss fight shouldn't count for Master Chamber qualification, though. That part actually is kinda dumb.

Word.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Well, I think I managed to unlearn not using blanks.

Now I need to unlearn over saving ammo, losing HP in room fights. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am still playing along, albeit nowhere near being able to finish when multitasking, and just got Corsair... thats definitely a gun, allright. :v:

Also is it just me, or is Dark Marker bugged? According to wiki it should have a chargeshot, but it just shoots normally instead.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
With Gatling Gull I have to always remind myself not to dodge roll into his spray of bullets, because there is always one that is going exactly where you will recover from the roll. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Agent355 posted:

. You can use the number buttons to swap weapons just like any ole FPS game.

:aaaaa:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
As I am playing along, I just managed to kill the first past, Hunter.

Special thanks to holster (fire another round on reload), 100 spent on the multiple bullet blessing, mental cannon and hexgun... Did you guys know, that multiple bullet blessing can trigger of the holster fire? That + mental cannon meant that every room on 5th level was cleaned out before it even started. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Speaking of jammed bosses, I just fought jammed high dragun. Thanks to ultra lucky drops, it wasn't even hard (if I didn't forget I had blanks, I would even get easy master round). :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Overcursed run, because yesterday I found out that having too much curse makes... interesting things happen and I want someone better at this than me to face it. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

senrath posted:

Actually, once you kill the past with a character there's a guaranteed option to get high curse on any future runs with that character, so it's not as random as it could be.

One is enough? I found it after I killed all the pasts, but didn't try it in the meantime. Also I don't mean just using that, I mean using that and then pushing the curse higher. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

It's totally possible! The second secret area is reliant on reaching the first secret area. I will probably try and show it off in the next video, and probably fail because it's actually really hard to reach the second secret area for various reasons.

At least you are good at the game, I only made it there because I lucked out and got really good dungeon layout after many runs.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

How feasible would a 'no Dodge Roll' challenge be? Outside of Dragun, that is.

At some points you literally cannot progress without dodge roll, pillars have a pattern you cannot evade and some rooms you cannot clear out without dodge rolling over pits, so...

No dodge roll outside of bosses or unless neccessary might be possible though, I did something very similar today (there is an item that drops from your inventory if you dodge roll and I was afraid Id leave it behind otherwise).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:siren: The supply run update is out! :siren:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Eye of Beholster carried me through most of my successful runs, not sure why you don't like it. :v:

----
Also having fortune's favor + potion of lead skin is pretty funny -- just remember to use them (scruffy!) and you are pretty much invulnerable.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 1, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

I know for sure I've gotten 1, 2, 3, and 5. I may have gotten 4 on one run, but I haven't gotten them all in a single run for the LP yet. There's a special unlockable for that.

As for the elevator, it requires a lot of money/keys so I'm trying to get through the secret floor to build up more money first.

Why not a cursed run? :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Hunter is really stable because she has a weapon that lets you easily clear floor 1/2 boss and if you luck out into better boss killer, it still clears rooms nicely.

Marine is better if you have some luck in the run, as his passive makes stuff just that little bit better, but does not help that much if you don't have good guns for it to improve.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Lazy Bear posted:

EDIT: Another possible idea is that Scruffy has to change guns every time the magazine runs dry, using the same rules as before.

Literally a possible effect from the challenge run guy (not yet unlocked in the LP). :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I decided to try blessed run. The RNG was taunting me the whole game, with the first chest dropping Unity and then getting Blank companion ring from boss, but not a single active use item in shop or from chests :v:

Even so, it went pretty well until Dragun (ok, at one point I got that light square gun against boss, but I got through that), where I got klobbe, squirt gun, klobbe and then a loving alien engine :suicide:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Also just opened up Boss Rush, and inside got Charge Shot, Jetpack and Ring of Triggers.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Olesh posted:

While Bullet Hell and the Lich are extremely intimidating the first few times you get down there, generally speaking, if I've got a reliable and efficient room clearer like the Mega Hand or its big sister, Bullet Hell is generally worth the attempt as a kind of victory lap. If I'm short on ammo and I think I'd be reduced to relying on bad guns or my starter pistol just to clear rooms, I'll do the Past instead. Sure, you don't "get" anything out of doing it after the first time, but it's fun so long as the floor isn't a slog in the process. And it's not like you lose anything by dying.

I do Bullet Hell just for enemies for hunting quest, because there is ton of pretty much everything :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Started bullet shark hunt and found one (1) in 5 runs.

gently caress you too game.

CzarChasm posted:

So, apparently Gun Reaper can get jammed. That's neat. I mean, I know anyone can get jammed, but to see it...

I have a question about two things we haven't seen in the LP yet, specifically, but it is just item stuff. Does the Rad Gun synergize with the Cog of War?

For those who haven't seen it yet, the Cog is a passive that adds a little tick mark to your reload bar. If you click reload or fire when the line gets to the mark, you get a bonus to damage and possibly fire speed (and a faster reload too, I guess). As long as you keep reloading and getting the timing right, you keep the bonus

The Rad Gun is a gun that wears sunglasses and a backwards baseball cap. It has this gimmick baked into it, but each successive good reload increases the bonus. I don't know the numbers, but it does get faster/more powerful up to at least 3 levels. The bonus timing also gets faster as you go up in levels.

It's not great for boss fights, as I tend to need to focus on other things like not getting hit, but if that stacks I can only imagine the bonus.

Not sure about them stacking, but Rad Gun is really good room cleaner -- if you do 4 reloads before going into a room, you get magazine full of one shot kill for 3 or 4 floors and it has enough ammo that the 4 bullets don't hurt your supply much.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, it counts both. 6 runs (2 all the way to bullet hell), 2 sharks -- 1 large, 1 small.

This is getting dumb.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dragun Rage + High Stress.

The dice roll run does not even pretend to be fair. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That sounds like it works quite a bit differently with K+M.

Anyway, almost got 5 master rounds, thanks to lucky AU gun find on floor 2, but I hosed up Dragun's 2nd phase. :suicide:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bruceski posted:

You had another chest, Scruffy. When the d-pad runs out of ammo it spawns one.

Came here to say this ...

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I cried a little inside from all those unstolen items when you had the box and the ring of mimic friendship

... and this :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

How loving long does it take to unlock all this poo poo!?

Also I loved how winning this run was mostly using a super soaker and an ice dispenser.

Does everyone get to use the Robots Left Arm?

IIRC yes, it gets unlocked as regular drop, same with other characters' specials after you kill their past.

e:
About to watch the video, but I hated Rad Gun until I figured out I can reload it ~4 times when I have the time in an empty room, and then use it to one shot pretty much everything in the next room, at low, low cost of 3-4 wasted rounds out of 250. :getin:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 16, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Sadly not unlocked yet (its unlock from one of the hunting quests).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's also arguably not much of a a challenge since most mimics aren't that hard to kill and it means that you basically don't need keys except for the Oubliette and the occasional locked door.

Also you can get an item that makes them friendly and open without fight. For some reason, I usually see vendor selling both at the same time :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also, Crown of Guns + Remote Bullets (coincidentally both Blue Chest items) is one of those combos everyone ought to experience at some point.

Yesterday I got Crown of Guns + muscle relaxant + scope. Quickest and easiest lich so far :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Rolling into enemies to dodge is completely legit if you have armor of thorns :v:

edit:
You are pilot, you can have potion of gun friendship AND double vision (side effect of using both at the same time might include maniacal laughter)

Xarn fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 19, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think blood brooch actually gives you half heart per bunch of damage dealt, not as a chance per kill.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Less game breaking but weird is zombie bullets + bait launcher interaction...

You can just shoot wall in a corner of room and have basically infinite tigers maul everyone :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Only had time to watch the first floor, but wanted to say that Winchester rifle feels like one of those non-explicit synergies weapon. It is (or at least feels like) super accurate, so even after picking up the eyepatch, it shoots pretty much where you point it. It also has nice range, so on my recent run where I picked up both eyepatch and bouncing bullets, I could use it to do some real trickshots.

It still wasn't actually good, just nice :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

SnakesandScorpions posted:

without getting hit by his stupid 360 attack

At one point it felt like I figured this one out, but then I stopped getting him, so... :shrug:

SnakesandScorpions posted:

and his ringing bell attack.

Be completely above or below him, depending on if he moved up or down on the bell transformation.

Special run suggestion:
Play bullet, cheat in armor of thorns, kill enemies with dodge rolling through them :v:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Some of the hunting quests are bullshit (finally I have only dragun to kill), but for general gameplay "git gud" is enough, no grinding required.

OTOH, challenge mode is bullshit

• Locked thread