Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
:siren: [supercross announcer voice]Welcome fans of supercross and motocross to the TWENTY SEVENTEEN something awful stupid fantasy thread thing[/supercross announcer voice] :siren:

2016 Thread in which I had a dominating performance leading to being in charge of this thread.

Sign up at https://www.rmfantasysx.com and stay tuned for our group details. The rocky mountain site seems to be the most popular / have the coolest prizes / require the least amount of skill.

Group Information
Join our group on the rocky mountain site

Group Name: AICA Goons
Password: goonstairs

Q: How does it work?
A: You're picking the top 4 finishers of the 450 main event and one wildcard position. If you pick the person in the correct spot, you will get that person's earned points for the event (1st 25, 2nd 22, 3rd 30, 4th 18, 5th 16, wildcard 25). If your rider is in the top 5 but not in the position you picked, you will receive 5 points.

Q: But what if I'm a big dumb baby and don't know who to pick?
A: Don't worry, only a handfull of guys are likely to even win main events. See below for the heavy hitters.

Q: I have an enormous boner for these guys and this sport, how do I inject this information directly into my veins?
A: This sport has a lot of coverage to guzzle down. Here are some of the main places for news and info:

http://www.racerxonline.com/
http://www.vitalmx.com/
http://motocross.transworld.net/
http://pulpmxshow.com/

PulpMX is arguably the most popular podcast, headed by cargoshort and food enthusiast Steve Matthes. He puts out about 8 hours of podcasts weekly during the season and will cover pretty much everything going on in the sport. I personally like his stuff, but not everyone is such a superfan. DMXS is probably the other big moto podcast, I listen to it as well.

2017 Season Preview :shlick: :fap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg0rqZstQQ

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
450 A Group
Here are the guys most likely to do well in the 450 class in a loose ranking (in my opinion).

Ryan Dungey - Back to back supercross champion the past two years and just the most apple-pie golly gosh darn good guy, gee wilikers. Last year Dungey was dominant and earned his way onto a cereal box and into ESPN the body issue. I'm not sure if he or his wife is better looking. Hot take: I'm betting he's going to win his third championship in a row and retire.

Ken Roczen - Ze German, though everyone forgets that because he speaks English better than us natives. Moved to Honda this year after a dominant season (winning 20 out of 24 races) in outdoor motocross. Hot take: Roczen's only issue for me is can he be as consistent as Dungey? I'm guessing it's going to come down to the wire and he'll finish second in the points.

Eli Tomac - Kawasaki's #1 dude had a real ho-hum 2016 supercross and motocross season. He won a few races, but most of the time was buried in the pack and had to settle for top 5. Hot take: More of the same, might get a win or two but overall not up to Kawi's expectations.

Marvin Musquin - Frenchy McFrench Guy had a really good rookie season in 2016. Should have won a race and had some good results. Has been dominant in off-season supercross races this year, which isn't really a big deal but I think could be promising. Hot take: Gets his first main event win at Anaheim 1 this year. Battles with Tomac for 3rd in the points.

Jason Anderson - Husky's #1 had a strong 2016, if by strong you mean good at pissing people off with his aggressive passes. If he keeps that up he's going to get his clock cleaned. Hot take: I put him right in the mix with Tomac/Musquin.

Cooper Webb - All aboard the bandwagon, Cooper Webb, rumored to be God's favorite son (what with the sacrificing Jesus and all), has arrived at factory Yamaha. I'll be honest, I don't see him having the year everyone sucking on his balls thinks he's going to have but I could be wrong. Hot take: A deep 450 field, a bike that has not had much success in the class, and his (at times) mediocre starts make me think people will be ready to hit the panic button after a few rounds. Bold prediction: Doesn't finish top 5 in points.

450 B Group
Cole Seely - Natural on a dirt bike, having picked up racing really late. He can get really good starts and lead laps, but one of the main guys usually reels him in without much trouble. Jason Anderson's favorite rider to piss off.
Trey Canard - If there were ever a man more golly gosh gee-wilikers than Ryan Dungey, it's Trey Canard. He's fast and agressive but crashes and gets injured a whole lot. In my super novice opinion that's worth nothing, I think he tends to over-ride his bike and if he were a bit smoother in the corners he could make up some time. Trey's my guy, but it's a bit like being a Cubs fan between 1909 and 2015. Trey's moved to the factory KTM team, leaving Honda for basically the first time in his career.
Justin Brayton - This guy is a big time supercross sleeper in the top 10. Been racing a long time, had a great off season running away with the Australian supercross title and some other offseason races. He's on a backmarker team, but is getting some works suspension support from Honda and I expect him to be a solid 5-8 guy, maybe a podium if the stars align.
Justin Bogle - Like Seely, he can get good starts and lead laps, but gets overtaken often and usually settles into a top 5-8 place. Moved to Suzuki for this year.
Justin Barcia - Hot take: Speaking of panic buttons, if he can't turn it around (team had a late switch to Suzuki this year) this season he'll be lucky to get a contract for 25% of what he's making now. From what the experts say, he is the epitome of over-riding the 450. You're not supposed to ride a 450 like a 250, and that's argueably what Barcia can't stop doing.
Blake Bagget - El Chupacabra, a 250 nationals champion (I think). In 2016 he showed vast improvement in supercross, but had some injury issues. One of the smartest guys out there in that at the end of his contract with Suzuki immediately went out and got a ride, likely taking a big paycut in the process. As I touch on down below, there are not enough rides to go around.
Chad Reed - The old man is still at it, he's Webb's teammate on factory Yamaha. He shows flashes of brilliance, but didn't have a great year in 2016. Not sure when his contract is up, but if he doesn't have a good year I could see Yamaha

450 'Where the gently caress are the rides' Group

James Stewart - Quite possibly the fastest man ever on a dirtbike. Had an abysmal 2016 racing season after being suspended in 2015 for banned substances. No one knows if he even wants to race anymore, so he doesn't have a ride.
Malcom Stewart - James' "big" little brother. Fast on a bike, won the 250 east title last year completely out of the blue and like his big brother, doesn't have a ride for this year. It's a tough tough year for riders looking for a team. Great time to be a team owner to get really quick guys
Dean Wilson - Another really solid guy without a team. He's been plaqued with injuries since moving up to the big bikes (past 250 champ). He'll likely get a fill-in spot once some riders start getting injured and he's rumored to be doing A1 as a privateer, which I think is smart.

250 Persons of interest

Austin Forker - Fighting Cooper for the second coming crown, to be honest. Everyone is expecting him to clean up. He had a very impressive rookie outdoor season this year, so his debut in supercross is coming up. People are expecting him to clean up.
Adam Cianciarulo - Wrecky McInjuryface, also known as the most winningest amatuer racer of all time. Poor Adam, such promise but constantly injured. As he's recovering he's also growing a foot. He had a solid outdoor season, but not great. He's only raced in 5 supercross races but he's won 3 of them. If he's healthy and ready, he and Forker could be really battling it out (assuming they're racing the same coast).
Joey Savatgy - Strong 2016, was in the points lead for a while. Outdoor season was also in the points lead for a while but then completely fell off a figurative cliff. There were rumors that he might have epstein barr or something. If that's true 2016 SX might be looking pretty bad for him, especially on his team, holy poo poo.
Jeremy Martin - Love this guy, but he's not great in supercross. He made some progress last year, one point was the points leader, but got buried in the mud in vegas for a good representation of his supercross career so far. He switched from Yamaha to Geico Honda this year.
Alex Martin - "Troll" is Jeremy's older brother. Racing for a long time as a privateer, got on the Yamaha team a few years back and had a good couple of seasons. He was also in the hunt for the supercross (and outdoors) title in 2016. Moved to TLD KTM.
Justin Hill - On pro circuit kawasaki with AC and AF and JS, he's a fast dude but is almost always injured or having a mediocre race. Could be a contender if he could figure poo poo out.
Christian Craig - "Jager's dad" won a race last year (maybe two?) but for the most part, in my opinion, wasn't much of a threat. Good in the whoops. He's working with David Vullimen as a rider coach this year, interested to see how that goes. Rumored to be running the East coast.
Phil Nicoleti - Really not sure how Phil's going to do, in a bit of controversy he's "moved down" to the 250 class after racing in 450s for years. He's good friends with the Martin brother's and I like those guys so I just wanted to mention him. Go Phil! He will fill in for Peick / Barcia on the 450 team if they are injured.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 17, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Reserved for results or something

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You think Musquin and Tomac over Anderson?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm looking forward to this. My girlfriend got us tickets to the race in New Jersey, so want to make sure I'm still following the series by then.

Are there any good videos out there that explain how the series works? Like the different classes and heats, semis, mains, etc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
braaaap, cant wait to come in not-last again!

builds character posted:

bro did you even watch redbull straight rhythm?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I always like being contrarian so I think Marvelous Marvin is going to shake it up over Kenny.

Great OP!

EDIT: Apparently there was a preview show today according to this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTIcMrT32Q

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 19, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I always like being contrarian so I think Marvelous Marvin is going to shake it up over Kenny.

Great OP!

Yep, here's the full thing. I didn't get to watch it yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg0rqZstQQ

Deeters posted:

Are there any good videos out there that explain how the series works? Like the different classes and heats, semis, mains, etc

450: 2 heats where the top 4 qualify for the main, 2 semis where the top 5 qualify for the main, 1 LCQ where the top 4 go to the 450 main.
250: 2 heats where the top 9 qualify for the main, 1 LCQ where the top 4 qualify for the 250 main.

If you wanna be a super fan you can actually watch the 2016 races on youtube, thankfully the rights holders seem to at least somewhat embrace technology.
Monster Energy Supercross Channel

builds character posted:

Just a gut feeling Marvin will do well this year and Tomac NEEDS to be in front of Anderson. But it could really go either way. I think those are the top 5 talents in the sport right now in whatever order you put them in.

I think Anderson has the highest likelihood of losing spots due to his aggressive riding, chances are he'll have beef with a rider or 3 this year and they'll constantly be taking each other out. I'd like to see him go at it with Cooper as a welcome to the 450 class, but that's just me being a jerk.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Two important facts about 450B Riders

Canard is an ordained minister, and therefore has god on his side. Hasn't seemed to help so far, but maybe its time for some biblical smiting.

Barcia is the weirdest person alive, I tried to find it, but in one of the 2015 videos about one of the European supercross races Barcia is walking around a market in a black turtleneck and a public enemy sized giant silver cross around his neck. He also seems to yell a lot for no reason.

I wish Dungey was crazier.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Two important facts about 450B Riders

Canard is an ordained minister, and therefore has god on his side. Hasn't seemed to help so far, but maybe its time for some biblical smiting.

Barcia is the weirdest person alive, I tried to find it, but in one of the 2015 videos about one of the European supercross races Barcia is walking around a market in a black turtleneck and a public enemy sized giant silver cross around his neck. He also seems to yell a lot for no reason.

I wish Dungey was crazier.

I hate to say it, but if Canard can't get some good results on the KTM, which is probably the best bike right now, his hopes for more wins is effectively over. He needs to watch Dungey through the turns, so smooth and fast. Canard has the tendency to get on the power too early (don't listen to me I haven't even ridden a dirtbike) which gets the rear out of line and kills momentum.

There is some hope for me, others have said the Honda's were (not sure about the '17s) twitchy in the handling department, and the KTM steel frame may really suit his riding style better. I would be so happy if Trey could get a win or two this year.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

braaaap, cant wait to come in not-last again!

bro did you even watch redbull straight rhythm?

Yes, that's how I know js7 is winning everything forever and an electric bike is going to finish 4th.

Great OP!

:sad:

dreesemonkey posted:

Just a gut feeling Marvin will do well this year and Tomac NEEDS to be in front of Anderson. But it could really go either way. I think those are the top 5 talents in the sport right now in whatever order you put them in.

I think Anderson has the highest likelihood of losing spots due to his aggressive riding, chances are he'll have beef with a rider or 3 this year and they'll constantly be taking each other out. I'd like to see him go at it with Cooper as a welcome to the 450 class, but that's just me being a jerk.

I just don't see what's changed from last year w/r/t Musquin or Tomac that would suggest they can consistently beat Anderson. Otherwise, yeah I think it's Dungey/Roczen at a clear 1/2 and then Anderson 3 with Tomac and then Musquin and those three rotating around in the bottom half of the top five with the occasional Chad Reed appearance. Extra laps is just going to make Dungey and Roczen even more better than everyone else.

Last year, nobody could catch Anderson even if they were mad at him. I really hope that he does something to make Cooper mad because when Webb sees red he doesn't care about anything else and switches from race mode to search and destroy mode and that would be hilarious (and well deserved). But, I agree that he's not going to do as well as everyone seems to think.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

I just don't see what's changed from last year w/r/t Musquin or Tomac that would suggest they can consistently beat Anderson.

I don't think anything has necessarily changed, I just can't abide the molest-stache he's constantly rocking, so I choose to downplay him.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I don't think anything has necessarily changed, I just can't abide the molest-stache he's constantly rocking, so I choose to downplay him.

You should join the Webb-Anderson deathmatch bandwagon, then.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

You should join the Webb-Anderson deathmatch bandwagon, then.

Definitely. I mean either Roczen or Dungey will run away with it, so watching two youngsters try to murder each other every corner should be awesome.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I watched the preview show last night. Feld has really got these things dialed. Slap that into the OP bruh.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I watched the preview show last night. Feld has really got these things dialed. Slap that into the OP bruh.

Done, fellah

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Pls don't diss our Lord Eli tomac

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Some more youtube previews from the racerx guys. I'm slightly salty about this because I see some similarities between my hot takes and what they're saying. I typed this up weeks ago I swear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOuVuwBXXLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeG0q8HVWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgFtuWeG818

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Has a group been made yet? Rocky Mountain is open as of now

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EX250 Type R posted:

Has a group been made yet? Rocky Mountain is open as of now

Just made it now:

Group Name: AICA Goons
Password: goonstairs

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Dungey
Roczen
Tomac
Anderson
Musquin
7-Reed

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ugh

A-1 seems to always have a weird podium.

I'll sign up tonight

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Ugh

A-1 seems to always have a weird podium.

I'll sign up tonight

Yea A1 is always a little weird, it seems. I'll probably wait until closer to race time to make my picks, but I do like builds character's picks if it were a non-weird A1.

I'm wondering if the new time format shakes things up. I don't think it's going to matter for the top tier guys since they will always be in top shape, but might help lovely starters like Canard come through the pack with slightly longer mains.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I noticed last year that I was able to get a few good results by just copying the final qualifying order. It just sucks that you basically have to wait to the last minute to do that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Yeah, I just have no idea who's going to come out strong so I figured Dungey was going to be pissed about all of Roczen's good publicity and missing outdoors so he'll want to prove he's still the champ. Then roczen is just good. After that? No idea.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well it won't be Justin Barcia, he's out with a wrist injury http://motocross.transworld.net/news/justin-barcia-start-2017-sx-season/#EsZBPPh0MbyXJKSm.97

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Bummer. I always enjoy weirdy-beardy Barcia.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Interesting to see Weimer fill in for Barcia and not Phil!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Interesting to see Weimer fill in for Barcia and not Phil!

Apparently Bisceglia has some ankle injuries and can't ride 250 west now so Phil is going to be riding 250 west. I'm glad to be seeing Weimer back on a bike though, cool for him and honestly his finishes probably won't be that far off Barcia's :v:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A1 press conference is going to be live today at 3PM if there are other desk-jockeys like me who feel like pretending to work

http://racerxonline.com/2017/01/05/...+Racer+X+Online

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
1 Roczen
2 Dungey
3 Musquin
4 Tomac
5 Canard
-----------------
7 Brayton

I may or may not take a peek at practice to see where I should put anderson. Yay supercross!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Results after A1:

Random thoughts on the race:
- Track was poo poo, there was very little on-screen passing, especially in the 250 class. Very follow-the-leader.
- Roczen lookin' real good.
- Webb didn't look very comfortable on his bike. He'll get better, but I got a smug sense of satisfaction for him having a very pedestrian debut.
- I guess Reed and Peick were going at it, with Reed's radiator getting punctured. I don't particularly like Reed either (though I hope he out-scores his teammate this year), so this was pleasing to me.
- :siren: Tomac panic button :siren: Started off in 2nd and faded back on a basic, easy track.
- About ready to hand in my Canard fan club membership badge :emo: Holeshotted his heat race and went down in the second corner. Just squeaks in via the LCQ and then doesn't start. What the heck. I guess he went down hard in practice and hurt his shoulder.
- Milsaps - strong showing from the guy no one ever talks about.

I give A1 a C+, pretty boring race all around.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Well, I got the top five correct, just all in the wrong order. Musquin, if you go sucking now you're dead to me.

Roczen looked great. I think it'll be tough to pick anyone else for first unless something goes wrong. Maybe if Dungey can get a better start he'll be more competitive, but it seemed like Roczen just pulled away this race and then kept pulling even when he and Dungey were both out front alone.

No surprise that Webb isn't setting the world on fire. It'll be interesting to see if he gets top 5 better or if he gets podium better because in 250s he did kind of just outlast people and here he'll be hard-pressed to do that. Why would you ever fight with Peick? Come on now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwNmNo5ce0

re: milsaps - nobody except the most popular internet radio show ever about supercross...

e:
RIP Canard. From the racerx preview:
Trey Canard: The rub with Canard is well-known—he’s ultra-fast, can win races, and can challenge for a championship as long as he’s able to avoid getting hurt, which has been an issue for him in the past. He’s on a new team now—Red Bull KTM—but recording 17 solid rounds needs to be the primary focus.

oops.

e2: a three piece suit has a waistcoat/vest. That's a regular suit.

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 9, 2017

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

F the race, did ya'll see Roczen's 3 piece suit? What a nut.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Don't pick Canard for anything the week, he's out with a shoulder injury (trying to carry the load of my expectations, no doubt)

I admit I never saw the original, but Honda had Kenny recreate MC's "Terrafirma" video using the same bike and wearing MCs pants. Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hUQdr8aYk

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Don't pick Canard for anything the week, he's out with a shoulder injury (trying to carry the load of my expectations, no doubt)

I admit I never saw the original, but Honda had Kenny recreate MC's "Terrafirma" video using the same bike and wearing MCs pants. Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hUQdr8aYk

fiiiiine

Roczen
Dungey
Tomac
Anderson
Musquin
11-Webb

Now I'm rooting for Webb to get good enough so he can catch up with Anderson and they can fight each other to the death.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

fiiiiine

Roczen
Dungey
Tomac
Anderson
Musquin
11-Webb

Good picks

builds character posted:

Now I'm rooting for Webb to get good enough so he can catch up with Anderson and they can fight each other to the death.

We should be best friends.

Other scenario: Peick and Reed's feud from A1 carries over, somehow Webb gets caught up in it and Peick sends him into the stands.

I'm really hoping one of these weeks Dean Wilson is the highest finishing Yamaha rider.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
For now:

Roczen
Dungey
Anderson
Tomac
Musquin
11: Peick

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I went with
Dungey
Roczen
Anderson
Musquin
Tomac

But after that first heat, maybe I should have put Tomac higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I took Roczen, Dungey, Musquin, Anderson, Seely, and T Hahn and I was really on the fence about Roczen / Dungey or Dungey / Roczen but im happy with 3/6 correct rider in the correct position

• Locked thread