Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Call me James Stewart because I never even showed up. I also would have picked Tomac if I remembered it was an early race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ya'll taking the wind from my sails

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well I put some actual thought into it, took it seriously, and still only got 30 pts. But I regained the lead (temporarily)!

My advice might not be worth much at this point, but Tomac almost has to be a lock for the daytona win. He's a bad dude outdoors and this track looks big, I expect him to win by 35 seconds.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Current standings

Even though the racing wasn't that great, it was a pretty exciting weekend. Between AC winning again, J mart leading for 10 laps, Dunge buried in the pack and Eli closing the gap to 17 pts, I thought the results were exciting. I'm not sure if Eli can keep up the pace and win the championship, but hopefully it'll be close at least.

I finally had a decent week with 51 points. I picked Eli to win, and got Seely's position right in 5th, and had Anderson and Dunge out of place in the top 5.

Daytona points:
Me - 51
Deeters - 35
brenda - 31
VTnewb - 20
buildscharacter - 20

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Two weeks in a row now, Reed has crashed while the announcers are busy complimenting him. I need to stop betting on Reed.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Tomac
Dungey
Seely
Anderson
Musquin
9 - Reed

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I put Musquin in front because I enjoy pain.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Best part of last night: http://i.imgur.com/heBKQOH.gifv

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Standings after Indy:

I had a pretty poo poo week (15pts), but I'm pumped that the title is tightening up (the motorcycle one, not our fantasy league).

Tomac is on a serious tear, I hope he can end up winning the championship but I still have to think Dungey has to be the favorite at this point even though something is definitely up with him.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Musquin
Tomac
Dungey
Seely
Anderson
11-Baggett

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Tomac
Musquin
Dungey
Seeley
Milsaps
11 Canard

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Tomac
Musquin
Dungey
Seeley
Milsaps
11 Canard

you were 2 points shy of winning some boots!

The 250 main event was amazing this week.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

shacked up with Brenda posted:

you were 2 points shy of winning some boots!

The 250 main event was amazing this week.

Ahhhh, I know. I crushed it this week. I forget the ordering of my picks (other than Eli and Canard) so I ran to the computer after I was done watching. I'll take some poo poo luck, thanks very much. I guess the people who beat me must have had 1,2,3,4,11 right where I had 1,2,3,5,11.

You're right, the 250 race was really exciting. Kinda bummed for Osbourne, but if he comes back to win it, it'll be really impressive. I would have liked to see AC win again (he looked great in his heat), but it was just not in the cards. Ferrandis may be a force to be reckoned with in the coming seasons.

Dungey's lead is down to 7 points. Wow.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

You're right, the 250 race was really exciting. Kinda bummed for Osbourne, but if he comes back to win it, it'll be really impressive. I would have liked to see AC win again (he looked great in his heat), but it was just not in the cards. Ferrandis may be a force to be reckoned with in the coming seasons.

I loved the interview with Savatgy on the podium (2nd). He explains his washed front wheel as "the lord working in mysterious ways".

I'm super happy with this season. We haven't gone a main event cycle without one of the 250 or 450 classes being super tense.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My picks so far. Let's see if I can recreate last week's magic

Canard is out for the rest of supercross. I have a feeling he might be done done. I speculated on twitter that my conspiracy theory is that he's going to take Wil Hahn's old position at GEICO Honda.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I have ascended

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Hot drat, that's a good week in the books (you rear end in a top hat)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I'm like the chad reed of this fantasy season.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

I'm like the chad reed of this fantasy season.

I honestly think I nailed (jinxed?) it when I called myself dungey earlier in the thread

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I wonder if Reed will suffer any longer term popularity issues from (apparently spitefully) preventing the fans from having the battle they wanted.

It really took the excitement out of the race.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I wonder if Reed will suffer any longer term popularity issues from (apparently spitefully) preventing the fans from having the battle they wanted.

It really took the excitement out of the race.

Yea I dunno. I didn't really like him before so it's hard to say, but it chapped my rear end pretty bad. Way back in the day when I watched supercross casually he was the guy who would be in 3rd place until Ricky and Stew crashed going 4 seconds a lap faster than Reed.

It just seems to me that was a line you shouldn't cross as a veteran of the sport and racing. Fair game if he was legit in front of Dungey, but he was in 15th place getting lapped. Get your arrogant rear end out of the way, shithead.

The drama around Stew doing this last year at Atlanta for like 3 turns was bad enough, and Reed does it for over a lap for the points leader in 2nd place (having let first place by no problem). Petty move. I was hoping Dungey would punt him off the track somewhere.

But how do I really feel?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Reed got fined for it.

But boy, Dungey has seemed awfully whiny recently.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

Reed got fined for it.

Definitely more than usual, but usually he's winning so I think it's understandable that he's getting more frustrated with stuff like this. Plus, this seemed pretty bad to me. That said, I definitely prefer less whining to more.

I think it's fair that Reed got fined. He was just ignoring the blue flags and can you imagine what he'd have said if someone had done that to him a year or two* ago?

*okay, ten.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If Reed was in his prime, I wouldn't have been surprised to see him block pass him hard to get by.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I think both Dungey and Reed are looking for excuses. Something is up with Dungey, he's definitely not on form this year. Burn out, hiding something physical, maybe mental? I dunno. Kinda sucks to see him struggle, though it is keeping things interesting. I think he's going to retire this year and I'm going to miss him, it's so easy to forget just how freaking good he is.

I wish nothing happened to Reed, 5pts and $5k is nothing to him. He's wealthy and not even remotely in the title hunt, so neither penalties is in any way meaningful. They should have black flagged him during the race if they were going to do anything.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/03/chad-reed-fined-docked-championship-points-for-actions-in-st-louis

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pretty good summary of the rule there. Bolding is mine.

SX rules posted:

4.17 Flags and Lights

It is the rider’s responsibility to be aware of their surroundings at all times while on track. Safety is a main priority and the riders must obey all official signals and directions given to them. Any rider failing to do so may be penalized.

Solid Blue Flag:
Indicates you are about to be overtaken by faster riders.
When conditions allow, move out of the fast line.
Hold your line (do not ride erratically) and do not impede the faster riders progress.
Riders disregarding the blue flag may be black-flagged at the discretion of Race Director.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

250 West is back

Jimmy dddddddddd

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

1. Tomac
2. Dungey
3. Musquin
4. Seely
5. Anderson
7. Baggett

I really wanted to put Reed in there somewhere because he's going to be riding with some kind of incandescent australian rage but I just can't do it because he's been so bad this year.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I was pulling for Jimmy D for yinz guys. So close :(

I think both mains were good again. Lot's of excitement and drama in the 450 class with Dungey going down early. Man Tomac is beastly, if it weren't for his crash he probably would have won the drat thing. Was happy to see Webb eat poo poo and get swallowed up by Anderson and Tomac.

I was happy to see Dungey and Reed patch things back up, but then I got pissed again. Dungey initiated things, and then Chad's lukewarm interview excuses. What a shithead.

Had another crap week in fantasy, 15 pts. Brenda's leading the way still.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

I was pulling for Jimmy D for yinz guys. So close :(

I think both mains were good again. Lot's of excitement and drama in the 450 class with Dungey going down early. Man Tomac is beastly, if it weren't for his crash he probably would have won the drat thing. Was happy to see Webb eat poo poo and get swallowed up by Anderson and Tomac.

I was happy to see Dungey and Reed patch things back up, but then I got pissed again. Dungey initiated things, and then Chad's lukewarm interview excuses. What a shithead.

Had another crap week in fantasy, 15 pts. Brenda's leading the way still.

Sheesh, picked musquin to win the past two weeks, went back to tomac this week and ahhhhhhh

If Dungey had gotten a better start he might have given Tomac a run for his money (assuming he started in front of Tomac). Webb going down was great, but man he looks like he's going to be pretty fast. That block on Tomac was pretty great too even if he just couldn't keep up.

Pretty clever of team yamaha to hold up dungey twice in a row now. They know KTM is their biggest competitor for bike sales, so they've sent Reed and Webb out with orders to slow down Dungey at any cost. :tinfoil:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

Sheesh, picked musquin to win the past two weeks, went back to tomac this week and ahhhhhhh

If Dungey had gotten a better start he might have given Tomac a run for his money (assuming he started in front of Tomac). Webb going down was great, but man he looks like he's going to be pretty fast. That block on Tomac was pretty great too even if he just couldn't keep up.

Pretty clever of team yamaha to hold up dungey twice in a row now. They know KTM is their biggest competitor for bike sales, so they've sent Reed and Webb out with orders to slow down Dungey at any cost. :tinfoil:

Hah, I don't think Webb really held Dungey up did he? Dungey got by after Webb's crash, I think. Maybe in a heat? I dunno.

He held Tomac up for a bit with the block you were talking about, I wasn't pleased about it but he has every right to do that. I agree with you, I don't particularly like him, but I think he's going to be fast too.

Dream MXoN team right now: Dungey, Tomac, Justin Hill (Though I'm not sure how good he is at motocross)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Hah, I don't think Webb really held Dungey up did he? Dungey got by after Webb's crash, I think. Maybe in a heat? I dunno.

He held Tomac up for a bit with the block you were talking about, I wasn't pleased about it but he has every right to do that. I agree with you, I don't particularly like him, but I think he's going to be fast too.

Dream MXoN team right now: Dungey, Tomac, Justin Hill (Though I'm not sure how good he is at motocross)

I meant this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjTcw2F2NM&t=120s for Webb-Dungey. Reed even knows it's coming and goes right over it! CONSPIRACY!

That'd be a great team. Not sure anyone could compete with it if they were all actually trying and Roczen's still not 100% (or out).

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Race format chat:

I really dig the 2 heat/LCQ format, but the 450 semis are just not interesting to me. It makes the middle of the night stale. I'd like to see 450's mirror the 250 setup, and have an overall shorter event.

I also wonder what's barring the popularity of SX. Even in this forum we can't squeak out more than 5 people in this thread. The flamethrowers and Monster Energy Girls are a bit eyeroll inducing, but I'm not sure why its not more popular.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

also: holy poo poo

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSqlx14gS8z/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Race format chat:

I really dig the 2 heat/LCQ format, but the 450 semis are just not interesting to me. It makes the middle of the night stale. I'd like to see 450's mirror the 250 setup, and have an overall shorter event.

I also wonder what's barring the popularity of SX. Even in this forum we can't squeak out more than 5 people in this thread. The flamethrowers and Monster Energy Girls are a bit eyeroll inducing, but I'm not sure why its not more popular.

1. There aren't very many motorcycle riders.
2. Nobody grows up riding supercross. Few enough people grow up riding motorcycles as is.
3. It's in the dirt so that's an even smaller segment of folks who would naturally be interested.
4. People don't generally like racing. Look at the popularity of any motorsport vs. other sports.
5. It's not exciting unless you really care about it. It's a bunch of dudes riding in circles. The jumps are cool and all but they're not like x games jumps.
6. It's on Saturday night and isn't enough of a cultural touchstone that folks can be like "nah, I'm watching supercross" instead of doing out with friends.
7. Folks who don't ride don't understand how ridiculous what they're doing is.
8. It's really broed out. Whether or not there would be more women watching if it weren't, I don't know. But it's definitely not helping in terms of broad market appeal. I would guess it's 13-25 yo male demographic appeal is pretty decent but that's also a relatively small demographic.
9. Video games. I don't know how, but somehow.

ow.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

1. There aren't very many motorcycle riders.
2. Nobody grows up riding supercross. Few enough people grow up riding motorcycles as is.
3. It's in the dirt so that's an even smaller segment of folks who would naturally be interested.
4. People don't generally like racing. Look at the popularity of any motorsport vs. other sports.
5. It's not exciting unless you really care about it. It's a bunch of dudes riding in circles. The jumps are cool and all but they're not like x games jumps.
6. It's on Saturday night and isn't enough of a cultural touchstone that folks can be like "nah, I'm watching supercross" instead of doing out with friends.
7. Folks who don't ride don't understand how ridiculous what they're doing is.
8. It's really broed out. Whether or not there would be more women watching if it weren't, I don't know. But it's definitely not helping in terms of broad market appeal. I would guess it's 13-25 yo male demographic appeal is pretty decent but that's also a relatively small demographic.
9. Video games. I don't know how, but somehow.

ow.

This is a cool and good summary. Mostly I think dirtbikes are somewhat of a dying breed. I've never owned one, but I guess tracks are less and less common now due to liability/noise.

It's a bummer because I genuinely think it's one of the best forms of racing. I also follow F1, but that is a race to find what team can throw the most money into a winning combination.

You could put Dungey or Tomac on a non-factory bike (assuming it's setup how they like it) and they would still be right up there. I like a racing series that you can tell who the best rider is, this year it's been Tomac (or Roczen). Furthermore, there is more racing (heats/semis/etc) and everyone still lines up at the same gate, regardless of qualifying position. Lot's of potential for drama and excitement. I think I even like the outdoors even more just because it's "more" racing with two motos per class.

I'm not sure how the future looks for SX in terms of numbers, it's a shame more people don't follow it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

This is a cool and good summary. Mostly I think dirtbikes are somewhat of a dying breed. I've never owned one, but I guess tracks are less and less common now due to liability/noise.

It's a bummer because I genuinely think it's one of the best forms of racing. I also follow F1, but that is a race to find what team can throw the most money into a winning combination.

You could put Dungey or Tomac on a non-factory bike (assuming it's setup how they like it) and they would still be right up there. I like a racing series that you can tell who the best rider is, this year it's been Tomac (or Roczen). Furthermore, there is more racing (heats/semis/etc) and everyone still lines up at the same gate, regardless of qualifying position. Lot's of potential for drama and excitement. I think I even like the outdoors even more just because it's "more" racing with two motos per class.

I'm not sure how the future looks for SX in terms of numbers, it's a shame more people don't follow it.

fwiw, I think electric bikes are going to be great for SX/MX because they'll dramatically increase the availability of tracks by removing what seems to be the biggest complaint. That said, a 50% increase in a small number is still a small number

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
buildscharacter you could always come up to the farm and work on indoctrinating your next generation in the arts of off road dirt biking but the 50cc rental bike price is your have to soil your lawyer fingers breaking a trail :V

also 420pts lol nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

fwiw, I think electric bikes are going to be great for SX/MX because they'll dramatically increase the availability of tracks by removing what seems to be the biggest complaint. That said, a 50% increase in a small number is still a small number

Electric bikes seem really promising if and when the prices come way down. But I think you're right that the small increase is still small. Not to mention concussions and things we're just now getting more scared about.

I'm kinda bummed about the off weekend, but the riders definitely earn no airplanes for a week. I'm still shocked that Tomac is riding coach. Pretty cool dude. It's an F1 weekend, at least so it's not a total racing drought for me.

• Locked thread