Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

so basically Hugh Laurie is starring in a new series where he plays an extremely intelligent doctor who unorthodox methods to solve mysteries concerning his patients, with dire consequences and suspense and the show is titled after the monosyllabic last name of the character

here's the thing, it's not House

It's CHANCE

instead of being a Medical Doctor, he is a Medical Doctor of the MIND

the show is a Hulu exclusive and fairly new but I wanted to say.......

it's actually good, like really good. it's significantly better than House. the content is far darker and more mature, less cheeky and funny, the humor is more dark and dry than witty and snide, and it delves into some seriously F'd up stuff but i don't want to spoil anything

let's just say it's a much darker, much more hardcore, much better written Hugh Laurie series and if you liked House but are sort of over it now I think you would really like this

it's good suspense, thriller, mystery, psychological drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
thanks for the headsup. Does he talk like an american in this ?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
dr house is cyncical but he gets results. tune in next time when a personal flaw of his creates tension

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ive never actually seen house

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

buckets of buckets posted:

thanks for the headsup. Does he talk like an american in this ?

yes lol that was the first question i asked to when i was told about it.

it took a little prodding to get me to watch it but when i finally gave it a try i was immediately hooked. it's serious quality and content & very intelligent.

my wife and I both have educational and professional backgrounds in mental health and we both give it two thumbs up

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I was going to watch this but then I read a bunch of reviews that said it sucks, so I didn't.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Vastarien posted:

I was going to watch this but then I read a bunch of reviews that said it sucks, so I didn't.

i would say watch the first 2-3 before giving up, by then you'll know if it's for you

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
How much darker is it? I'm going to need to know in exact terms precisely how dark this show is. If it doesn't pass a certain threshold of darkness then I'm just not going to bother with it. There are other, darker TV shows that deserve my time and attention.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enfield posted:

Coulda fooled me! :v:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

How much darker is it? I'm going to need to know in exact terms precisely how dark this show is. If it doesn't pass a certain threshold of darkness then I'm just not going to bother with it. There are other, darker TV shows that deserve my time and attention.

well it's not the darkest but it sure is gritty AF

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Cnut the Great posted:

It's got the fat bald guy from My Name is Earl in it, he stabs people

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
drat I want to see this. drat I don't want to sign up for another streaming service and try to find a way around their geo-blocking to watch it.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

yes lol that was the first question i asked to when i was told about it.

At least he can mostly pull it off, unlike Jesse Spencer whose House character was believable but whose fake American accent ruins his character in Chicago Fire.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 17, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Does he still break into patients' houses? Extremely important

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

this is a NO SPOILER ZONE

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
hugh laurie should be starring in blockbuster movies, not more tv. i saw him in Tomorrowland and that's it. wt gently caress? he was all set for his career to blast off

he shoulda been Dr. Strange, not a netflix doctor

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

he is a seriously good actor maybe he prefers the long format of a series to really draw out the narrative

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

he is a seriously good actor maybe he prefers the long format of a series to really draw out the narrative

i guess but poo poo man what a waste. no one is going to watch this show

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Enfield posted:

Watch the first 5-6 episodes and you've essentially seen every single episode of the entire series with regards to the actual medical plots. The "House" plots are just him becoming a bigger and more annoying autistic rear end in a top hat until you can't stand the character and stop watching long before the last season.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

idk hulu and netflix are really taking steps in doing exclusive movies and series, and getting quality actors like hugh laurie and idis elba

i think this is the new trend these streaming services are giving networks a run for their money

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

the real question is, will YOU?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

the real question is, will YOU?

i would but im amish

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
op could tell me pie is delicious and i would still be pretty skeptical of his claims

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Gonna watch just to spite all the people giving the OP poo poo for trying to be helpful

OP stay strong pal I'm in your corner

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Capntastic posted:

Gonna watch just to spite all the people giving the OP poo poo for trying to be helpful

OP stay strong pal I'm in your corner

well you sure showed me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blistex posted:

Watch the first 5-6 episodes and you've essentially seen every single episode of the entire series with regards to the actual medical plots. The "House" plots are just him becoming a bigger and more annoying autistic rear end in a top hat until you can't stand the character and stop watching long before the last season.

it was annoying because at one point it seemed like maybe they were actually going to go somewhere with the character, and then "lol nope we're just gonna milk this baby for another few seasons"

i honestly kinda wanted them to get real dark and basically end the series with house dying of a drug overdose or something

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i honestly kinda wanted them to get real dark and basically end the series with house dying of a drug overdose or something

That finale was such a lame cop-out, where House and Wilson get to ride off into the sunset together (literally). Weak poo poo, man.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Jeeve's hangover cure of a spot of tea of the poppy always set me right as rain.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey OP thanks for the rec
I started this a couple weeks ago but got distracted so I just put it back on to finish the first ep

I read some reviews poo pooing it too but I'm not against schlock

I Deffo wouldn't gaf if it didn't have hugh Laurie in it

I finally finished house a couple months ago and it was a weird loving nightmare

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Vastarien posted:

That finale was such a lame cop-out, where House and Wilson get to ride off into the sunset together (literally). Weak poo poo, man.

Not any worse than the ending of "Dexter".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm curious but the op is a notoriously obnoxious poster

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This show is cool and good

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it was annoying because at one point it seemed like maybe they were actually going to go somewhere with the character, and then "lol nope we're just gonna milk this baby for another few seasons"

I stopped watching about 10-15 episodes after his behaviour/actions had jumped the shark to the point where they were not even believable in a comedic or animated series. . . so I think maybe season 4? They had options for real character development, but instead the writers just dialled House's immaturity/insanity up to 11 and said, "good enough", which I guess it was because people were still watching and the academy still threw Emmys at them.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Blistex posted:

I stopped watching about 10-15 episodes after his behaviour/actions had jumped the shark to the point where they were not even believable in a comedic or animated series. . . so I think maybe season 4? They had options for real character development, but instead the writers just dialled House's immaturity/insanity up to 11 and said, "good enough", which I guess it was because people were still watching and the academy still threw Emmys at them.

lol remember when house drove a car into a house on purpose to try to kill everyone? did he go to prison? i stopped watching after that episode

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finishing up ep 1

Hugh Laurie has still got it

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This show? It has a premise you like, a person you like, situations you like, and has other things you like. Do you like it yet?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like it. Honestly just hearing the house voice actually curse is nice for once.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Messed up the cool black detective from the wire who carved model house furniture owns a furniture store in this show

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

A misanthrope posted:

lol remember when house drove a car into a house on purpose to try to kill everyone? did he go to prison? i stopped watching after that episode

I assumed that you were joking, but just typed it into youtube for a lark. That loving show.

Did they also add a monkey to the cast?
Does House have an imaginary friend only he can see?
Evil twin brother?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
House got better when Cuddy left. The whole season before that was a loving mess. writers couldn't decide if house was gonna become better or not and he shouldn't have. He was awfully boring that entire season.

Season 8 was good IMO. Not a good final season, but it was pretty distilled HOUSE MD action. Too bad about season 7. And 4-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Blistex posted:

I assumed that you were joking, but just typed it into youtube for a lark. That loving show.

Did they also add a monkey to the cast?
Does House have an imaginary friend only he can see?
Evil twin brother?

our main character tried to murder people. do you think we went too far? nah
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_FcCzRW9fg

• Locked thread