Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

these numbers really tell a love-hate story

Peru giveth, Peru taketh away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

What the gently caress is this post

Neuro is somehow a more obnoxious poster than me

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
someone adjusted the contrast to see what a Red/Gold coloring would look like and its a lot better
https://gfycat.com/DaringDarkBetafish

why would valve rig the vote if the Jugg arcana took 8 months to make and it still looked like poo poo :thinking:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
is gullin actually still alive on the internet? I thought he got assblasted into nothingness

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, death balling definitely came about because of the come back mechanics, that definitely weren't introduced the year after newbee won ti4

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

JollyPubJerk posted:

The death of ratting was step 1, but the game was salvageable from that point. Newbee wasn't deathball, it was early-game cores that ganked at 5 minutes into super early push that was very dependent on certain cores to accomplish.

Then they added comeback gold and it was over.

Beforehand if I was having a miserable game because I knew my teammates were stupid and awful at least I could go solo rambo enemy carry and give us an opportunity to win the game. Now if idiots aren't all efficiently 5 man farming every camp every 3 minutes with perfect rotations to support the cores farming the lanes followed by a 5 man deathball, you'll just lose to the other team who is doing it better.

I think the argument regarding the current style of newbee's deathball and current deathball is a minor one. The nb style brought about deathball optimizations into what it was and the way games played out during the major deathball meta period the game went through was cancerous as hell. Games being won or lost at the 15 minute mark is bad for the health of the game almost entirely. Having that style of game once in a while is alright, it just can't be the meta style of play. Comeback gold was the most immediate and most balanceable way of fixing this issue. It's a number that could be easily tweaked simply by changing the calculation formula. It was certainly poorly implemented at first but I think for the most part it's at an acceptable state right now. If you find yourself dying at 15-20 minutes and giving up 1k gold to someone then that is 100% a death that should not have happened. Sure there are some possibly cheesy stances but for the most part, early gold swings like that should be avoidable if you play smart.

Regarding rat playstyle, maybe I'm in the minority but I've been under the impression that DotA is a team game, a 5v5, so I find it weird that people think rat should be a powerful strategy that can win games all on its own. The idea of a team game playing out not as a 5v5 but rather as a 1+4v5 seems like bad design. Yes, in this day and age rat can certainly work but it requires the enemy team to misplay, as in they have to literally not look at their minimap for it to be a viable strategy. Rat not being good anymore isn't a sign of bad balance, I think it's rather a sign that the playerbase as a whole has just gotten better and they know now how to deal with it.

I'm not 100% sure of what the meta is right now simply because I'm not an active player or spectator anymore, but maybe if the game doesn't appeal to you anymore stop playing? I'm not trying to word this as a "uninstall noob" kind of flame, I think that maybe you just don't like how DotA plays anymore. I played nearly 1500 games of league of legends and spent an autistic amount of money on that game and I've barely touched it in the last year, sometimes you just have to move on to greener pastures and find your next passion. Not all games are meant to be played 'til time immemorial.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Minorkos posted:

yeah except this is dota and you can't really be expected to keep all 5 of your heroes alive. there's just too much damage/stun going out. even an invoker with a massive gold advantage still dies to a lina with an euls + 1 other dude, so you're basically bound to lose at least 1 of your cores when you push high ground. also there are a ton of heroes that often die as part of their initiation.

you know what happens when you make high ground pushing extremely risky with arbitrary game mechanics like comeback gold and tower armor auras? no, games aren't going to be more even, they're just going to stretch out because the leading team does not want to push because it has a very high chance of instantly undoing any lead they have. so in practice, it's better to just lame it out and keep farming until your entire team can withstand a tactical nuclear strike, and then push. or rather, just wait out in the enemy jungle until the defending enemy sniper gets bored of waiting and walks out to die.

I agree with you in the sense that there are lots of ways to output a high amount of damage very quickly in DotA but I still feel that those types of deaths (barring cheesy poo poo like SD smoke into disruption into 5 man gangbang or some other similar poo poo) you still have to misplay to die to them. Like yeah Lina can walk up on you with Eul's and W>R>Q you, but usually for something like that to happen she'd have to either smoke or take a weird path to sneak up on you during night, and in both of these examples the invoker player should probably be aware that Lina isn't showing and hasn't shown for probably 10 seconds. Like with the rat example, the misplay here is not having the presence of mind to look at your minimap. I don't want to say that the optimal way to counter this strategy is to just group as 5 because then I'm gonna see "lol idiot that's just deathballing" but is it really? In the kinds of cases where these massive swings happen its usually because one dude gets caught out instead of jacking off with his team, but when you have one dude who is really stacked and wants to punch towers then the correct play is going to be to play around that guy because he is going to be what wins you the game.

I agree with you (at least based on what you said I think this is an opinion we share) that shrines are dumb as hell. I like the idea of the towers gaining additional armor but I think it's done poorly in this case. I think that change should probably only apply to T1 and maybe T2's, but certainly not T3's because it just adds to the issue of "going highground is a game losing move". I'm fairly certain that since we have them and they were a pretty defining feature of 7.xx, shrines probably aren't going anywhere so I think the change there would be to either lower it to only one base shrine per lane (so 3 rather than the 5 that are currently there, like what the gently caress?) and the regen on the ones in base should probably be slashed in half. Personally I'd like to see it go down to only one Shrine in base (but it maintains its current regen amount) since we're stuck with 'em for the time being but it's never gonna happen. Past that I'm not sure what else to subtract away before we just get left with what we had before. The game has to innovate somehow, if it didn't then playerbase death was assured. With the changes that we have now, at the very least you'll have people both old and new sticking their head in the door to see what all of the fuss is about. Number tweaks can only go so far to drive interest in the game.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

gangnam reference posted:

teemo just first blooded our sona

you should join the league of legends discord so you can call us shitters there too

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

yeah but that gogey isn't you, that's Number #1 North American League of Legends Positional Coach Strong who just so happens to be Number #1 Worldwide Gogey Fan. now out urself dumbo

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

JollyPubJerk posted:

but unless the whole if you feed too hard you can never come back thing goes away it's not going to be enjoyable to play.

Is this worded wrong? I thought you disliked the come back mechanics

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Give sheever your energy😞
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmazonianExpensiveGrasshopperChefFrank

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Companion cube bad, Alpine Ursa good, valve are a load of clowns

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
optimization is here at last

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
What about your teammates though

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Jpj: I just spam chat to taunt my opponents!
Also jpj: *sprinkle liberal use of the friend of the family word*
Also also jpj: "I'm not racist, you're insane!!!!"

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the numerous times people were able to grab your IP from the client, effectively allowing someone the ability to ddos their way to wins

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

VikingofRock posted:

The best LoL lol was when one of the champs had a moving ult that was implemented as a unit spawning in place, then being killed, then spawning slightly next to it, and then when that champ was on a team with another champ who gave bonus gold for last hits you got like infinity gold every time you ulted.

That was due to the old riot philosophy of "code everything as a minion" and most of lols major bugs in the past came as a result of this

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Ambivalent posted:

there used to be champion skins with different stats

the only instance I can think of this happening was one of yasuo's skins having a longer windup on q than the base version, or pulsefire ezreal q being like a pixel shorter or longer than normal ezreal q

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Tbf we had the ability to use html in steam names for a while so I can't really knock riot for that one

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

Wheres gogey with the sf ult bug tracker

what did that end at? some 800 odd days or did we cross the threshold in 900 or (dare I say it) nearly 3 continuous years of sf ult bug tracking

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Ada posted:

Monkey king still fun and good. 100 games straight with a 70% winrate. Don't buy echo saber on this hero it's actually bad gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

What about my DotA hero sing sing, who builds it most games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Is jpj a racist in the pro thread too

• Locked thread