Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Tias posted:

Hello D&D! I'm not in the US, and don't really know what sources are good, so I'm going ahead and asking you:

I always were of the impression that Bernie Sanders didn't really care about non-white workers back when he was Senator. I was told this by a friend who usually knew her poo poo, and so I didn't question it.

Now there's a lot of arguments for and against, and I can't really find a good analysis. I see that the NAACP has given him a 100% score on civil rights, which implies he's done right, but does that factor in workplace legislation at all?

Note that I'm not interested in a general debate on Sanders merits, merely if it's true that his work only benefitted white workers. Thanks in advance!

this is a great question

recent studies have shown that the economically disadvantaged are disproportionately people of color

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/27/news/economy/racial-wealth-gap-blacks-whites/

quote:

The report found that in 2013, white households in the U.S. had a median wealth of $144,200 -- almost 13 times the median wealth of black households at $11,200. But here again is an example where the gap is not significantly narrowed by education. White households headed by someone with a college degree have a median wealth of $301,300 compared to college-educated black households, which have a median wealth of $26,300.
Related: Black wealth not protected by homeownership
One of the biggest ways to amass wealth, especially for people of color, is to own a home. Yet the homeownership rates for blacks is just 43% compared to 72% for whites.

with statistics like these, it seems that policies that target the working class in general would actually be better off for people of color, not for white workers exclusively, as i have also heard.

i am also curious to hear an explanation for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread