Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Tias posted:

So I gathered, but to someone who isn't familiar with what acts have been important to labor and which one haven't, it's a bit hard to make sense of. Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

I'm going to take a risk here and believe this isn't a troll.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/27110/bernie-sanders#.WFbOU_krLcs

I mean long story short, if you go to that website and look at what he has voted for and against, even just reading the descriptions you can see what it's done. You can also click on the acts as well. But he has voted for a lot of things that effect people of all races, including whites which make up a vast majority (95%!) of his state. So anything he did representing his state was pretty much mostly for white voters as he was the ones he was appeasing - people who voted for him every 2 years since I think about 1992-2006 (excuse me if these dates are off). So if he did anything to favor the state that he was literally representing, then it can be possible that it heavily effected whites.

But I don't really see him ignoring minority groups at the federal level.

Just skimming on that page you can see that he has voted for things such as pay when you're sick from work. He has voted on bills that prevent American businesses from outsourcing and providing jobs here, projects expanding highways. So yes, these things did a lot for a very large amount of white (low and middle-class) Americans. But that doesn't mean ignoring minorities, he seems to target class instead of race, trying to equally uplift both whites and minorities that make up the low-middle working class. And these are just the first 3 random pieces of workplace-legislation I picked off from the link above. Sure you can probably find some things he voted on in there that might of effected the white working-class more than others but hey, welcome to the United States class system.

So in conclusion, I think you're friend is wrong and just skimming some pages on the internet helps show that. So maybe you are a troll :)

edit: Commie Ned Flanders post above mine is way more succinct.

Rushi fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Tias posted:

I ask because a lot of people here in Denmark are acting like Sanders is the second coming of social democracy, when it seems like he's more or less a liberal fatcat that talks the talk but won't walk the walk.

I don't agree with your friends, especially whatever this liberal "fatcat" means as he was fairly low-profile until the election. But as far as American politics go, he was pretty extremely left in a way we don't get to often here in the USA.

edit to avoid double post: As he only became pretty drat wealthy recently with his book, http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/04/17/what-is-bernie-sanders-net-worth.aspx shows that even compared to other senators he was "poor". He only became extremely wealthy in the last 6 months. But he was never poor in the way my broke-rear end would define it, but it's a pretty huge difference compared to other American politicians of equal standing.

Rushi fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 18, 2016

• Locked thread