Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kilano posted:

I dont think the poor are privileged regardless of their race. I grew up poor and i'd take virtually anything else over being poor.

Wait, so you don't think there are problems that non-white poor people experience that white poor people don't? Because if so you are demonstrably wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kilano posted:

No, that's not what I said.

I said being poor is one of the worst possible situations you can have. If you are both non-white and poor, that's an even bigger disadvantage.

I do think it's ridiculous to say people living in poverty, even white, are "privileged"

Well then, what would you call it when one group of people doesn't have to worry about certain difficulties that other, similar groups do?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

This. To a person who doesn't spend their day worrying about social injustices, "privileged" means "is a rich gently caress with a Lambo parked in front of dad's 10000 sqft holiday home", not "slightly less oppressed than some other poor fuckers".

Ok, so what other word should we use instead?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

For the record, I don't think its a bad term, just that recent usage has been poisoning it.

Which usage, and by who?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

Like I mentioned in the previous post, it's been exploited by those who wish to silence or supress the concerns of the impoverished. This puts it in an unfavorable view to all parties; fiscal leftists, alt-right (who tend to have deplorable social views and reasonable fiscal), and centrists.

It's a solid term for explaining how black americans are at an inherent disadvantage, but its recent usage as a battering ram against other leftist topics are making it less acceptable by others; in this sense those who wish to cultivate leftist infighting are just as guilty of regressing social causes as any right-wing movement.

Where are you actually seeing this happen?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

The issue is that you can't just turn your nose up and denigrate them for choosing survival over virtue. A lot of dems are opting to double down on shaming these people for not voting ir voting trump, rather than considering the idea of presenting both social and fiscal leftism.

Social and fiscal leftism was presented. Huge portions of Clinton's speeches were about her plans to shape fiscal policy. Stop spreading this lie.

quote:

It happened constantly during the primary (when it seemed like Hillary could win without respecting poor voters), then happened quite a bit after the election, and now is only brought up in places without dissenting voices.

I don't remember ever seeing a single instance of the concept of privilege being used to silence and rhetorically bludgeon people. Since it apparently happened so often, could you give me specific examples?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

It was a minor point at best in her campaign. She actively ignored the states and towns most ravaged by the current state of affairs, and downplayed fiscal topics the moment the primary was over. As Chuck Schumer said: “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

I'm really not sure I know how to effectively argue against somebody who doesn't seem to share the same reality I do. Seriously, she had an entire speech this last August on nothing but economics in Detroit. But please, tell me more about how she ignored places that have been hurt by the economy and how she never spoke about economics during the general election.

quote:

You never encountered the constant arguments that New Deal's outcome meant that fiscal leftists couldn't be trusted to support social leftism? What about "Breaking up the banks wont end racism"? Jokes about 'economic anxiety' early after the election whenever it was suggested that racism didn't sweep trump into the office? Damning rust belt voters who didnt turn out as being privileged/racist for not bein energized and enthusiastic about the idea of voting for Hillary whenever anyone suggested she was at fault?

If you don't have examples just say so.

Edit:

silence_kit posted:

I assume that social justice proponents' vision of an ideal society would be that everybody would get treated the way rich/white/male/etc people are treated now. The new normal at least would be more like that than having everyone be treated in the same way that poor/black/female/etc people are now. It could be argued that 'privilege' isn't a great term because 'privilege' shouldn't be a privilege and should just be normal.

If you're going to talk about "optics" and words/phrases being antagonistic you should probably not suggest that we instead imply that being poor, non-white, or a woman is abnormal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

silence_kit posted:

IMO, privilege is an effective term only if you think it is effective to shame people into acting in different ways. Whether that's effective is debatable. In your defense, it is used in many sects of Christianity and is at least somewhat effective.

This is just more of that George W Bush thinking: "you're either with us or against us."

If someone saying you have privilege causes you such intense feelings of shame then that's a problem with you, not with the word. Tons of people don't feel any shame at all being told that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

silence_kit posted:

Lol, your reading comprehension is certainly below normal.

Or you're very bad at effectively communicating. It's definitely one of the two.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

You keep making a point of asking why you should moderate your language, but I ask you why you don't. What is it you think the word gets across that cannot possibly conveyed in a less antagonistic or patronizing sense? Effective language, and all.

Why does being told you have privilege make you feel attacked?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

This is a perfect exaple of how insulting 'check your privilege' has become:
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/12/check-your-privilege-cards-are-the-best-gift.html

The cards say, "Uh-oh, your privilege is showing" "You got this card because your privilege allowed to to make a comment others cannot agree with or relate to"

Apparently they are supposed to be given out if someone says something 'privileged'. The article even says 'the gift of self-awareness is forever'.

This is the sort of thing that infuriates people, saying something, and then getting 'check your privilege' as a response, as if that ends the conversation in any meaningful way.

Who says it's suppose to end the conversation?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rush Limbo posted:

The DM, because they failed their saving throw vs. basic human interaction and therefore are unable to speak or mount any sort of defense or dialogue with the person who gave them the card. It's not their fault that they're unable to engage in a meaningful discussion, the card's +10 to dampening was just too strong.

You know I've always felt that "Socially Well-Adjusted" was a blatant feat-tax.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

I don't want those people to take the 'privilege' of avoiding police brutality away from me.

Then work to give that privilege to everybody.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

That is at odds to

Hmm, maybe your theory of privilege doesn't mean the same to everyone on even your side of the equation.

Do you think that not getting shot be the police is the only privilege white people have?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Here's a suggestion why don't you ask some white male workers at walmart working the night shift if they feel privileged.

Whether or not you feel privileged has no bearing on whether or not you are privileged. And those white guys undoubtedly have a privilege that the non-whites that Wal*Mart would never consider hiring do not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

The underlying problem is that Privilege's common, non-academic definition is so negative that being labled 'privileged' in the common definition is insulting.

I have never once seen "privileged" used as an insult and I have no clue how you would even do that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

Well using the word 'Privilege' implies super-special opportunity no one else can have,

What? No, seriously, where the hell has this definition ever been used by any mentally sound person? When my parents said playing video games were a privilege I never for a single second thought that it meant I was the only person on the entire planet that was allowed to play a video game. This definition is insane.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

Tell that to the white people employed at wal-mart, and see how they react.
I bet you are going to get a bunch more Alt-right people if you do that.

And how would you change their minds, pray tell? By ignoring that there's a problem that ever needs to be addressed? If not, how are you going to address it without insulting them?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tesseraction posted:

Bullshit. I demand to know what question or phrase I need to ask someone in order to make them a Communist.

He said that they didn't become alt-right, they were alt-right to begin with.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Call Me Charlie posted:

Can you seriously not comprehend how divisive this line of thought is? People struggling to eek out an existence should feel ashamed because they have the privilege to be exploited and abused by a multinational corporation.

Where did I say they should feel ashamed? That'd be news to me, considering I've explicitly said the opposite more than once.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

Answer my question. In my scenario is the white guy or the black guy more privileged? If this is such an accurate academic term it should be easy to answer this.

Wh]ch weighs more, infinite bricks or infinite feathers? If kilograms are such an accurate academic term it should be easy to answer this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

No, I am attacking your perception of privilege as a white man thing by asking you to think about dichotomies that challenge that association.

Quote one person who said only white men have privilege.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

You guys might want to communicate to the alt-right that being white doesn't necessarily make you privileged anymore. Because that is actually news for probably quite a lot of them.

Edit after BarbarianElephant: Scrap that, maybe it does after all! You wacky liberals.

Is English not your first language or something?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^^
I don't think you actually know what that smilie even means.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's a loaded term that's used to marginalize a person's struggles. And you can try to claim that's not the way you meant to use it but it doesn't change that fact.

That's not a fact at all, actually, and you simply claiming it's a fact with nothing to back it up doesn't make it so.

quote:

To call people who are stuck in a minimum wage job at part-time hours privileged (because of the color of their skin or the genitalia between their legs) is beyond ridiculous. Of course they'd react badly to that statement. You're belittling everything they're going through.

I'm actually not, but I suppose that I can't control what unnecessary baggage that people bring to the table for literally no good reason.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

So saying that a white guy is 'fortunate' 'lucky' or 'advantaged' just because he could get a minimum wage job is not supposed to be insulting? Because to that person, you are telling them that their position as a position as a poorly-paid worker is somehow a privilege he has that Ben Carson or the hispanic guy who owns his own business do not have.
Yeah, he should feel thankful for the 'Privilege' that gave him the only job he could find, its too bad all the other minorities he sees in the media have better jobs than him, they dont have his massive privilege at all, what with his lovely car and minimum wage job this 'privilege' got him.

Yes, that would indeed be very insulting if I said that. Good thing I'm not saying that and you made that up whole-cloth out of nothing. If you ever want to address something I actually said I'll be here.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yes, and? Use your words, honey, you can do it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

Who What Now, I really loving despise you for not seeing how insulting everything you are saying is for white people with minimum wage jobs.

Telling them that their lovely situation is the result of privilege is not going to make them suddenly thankful for any 'privileges' they have, real or not. It is going make them tell you to gently caress off for saying they should be aware of all the other people who never got the opportunities to be in their lovely position and they are somehow advantaged because they are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with a lovely apartment.

The point isn't to make them thankful for the privileges, you moron.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

But their not going to care, if their life is lovely.

So?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

No the point is for you to feel smug about being woke.

No, that's merely a pleasant side-effect. The point is to get people to realize that their situation sucks but that other people in similar (this qualifier is very important, so don't forget it) may have it even worse due to arbitrary conditions out of their control like their race or their gender or their health condition. It's to get them to think "Wow, my situation sucks, and it would probably suck even worse if I were black, or a woman, or trans. I should work together with them to raise us all up."

Unfortunately people like you aren't willing to put in the slightest amount of effort into understanding and would rather throw women, minorities, and LGBTs under the bus to focus on your "no war but class war (and specifically the class wars that affect me personally)" ideals.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Okay, but now imagine that you're speaking to actual human beings.

Normal human beings are capable of introspection, though, so what he said is good there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah or maybe I do want to stop police shootings

You don't, though.

E: Let me be a little more clear. I'm sure you probably think you care about stopping police shootings, but if your only plan to address it is to ignore it because black men being murdered in cold blood just isn't important enough to address right now in lieu of the petty problems you personally face then you actually don't give a poo poo about it at all.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 2, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BarbarianElephant posted:

I've never heard it except sarcastically.

You should probably get off the Internet once in awhile and venture into the real world then.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nerses IV posted:

Where exactly is your "real world," in which you hear terms like "check your privilege" used with absolute seriousness?

Where are you hearing it otherwise outside of your made up scenarios you posted ITT?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't know. Telling the dumb assholes at Walmart that their white privilege allows them to work such a terrible job can't go wrong. If they have some sort of baggage (like crippling poverty) that won't allow them to take a simple statement in stride, they probably weren't going to be an ally anyways. :shrug:

If, after taking the time to properly explain to them what the phrase means and how it applies to them and ensure they actually understand it properly, they still get angry and defensive then yeah, they weren't going to be an ally anyways.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fados posted:

There is only so much space for dumb idetity politics and the right are surely better at it

Tell us more about how black men not wanting to get shot to death by the police for literally no reason is "dumb idetity(sic) politics". I'm sure your thoughts will be well-reasoned and insightful.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Not getting shot to death by cops for no reason is one of the privileges that should be checked, though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fados posted:

The ones that have no practical function other than to censure arguments and gain the moral highground

Such as...?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

What's it like, living without a sense of humor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fados posted:

Every race in america is victim of police brutality tho, everyone should be able to get on board with that, so even in that case they are doing themselves a disservice by framing it as a race problem.

Really? Would you like to post those stats that show police brutality is visited equally upon all races?

• Locked thread