Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rakosi posted:

Privilege is a really dumb term that should never have been coined. Like, men being privileged over women and whites being privileged over non-whites is a really dumb oversimplification if you really want to talk about the scale of "privilege" that goes on in the world. Why don't female non-whites living below the poverty line in the west walk around all day musing on the privilege they experience over the genitally mutilated 10 year old 3rd world child who is already being weaned onto drugs and is being trafficked for sex. There's always someone who has it worse. I would argue, actually, that the gap in privilege between men and women and whites and non-whites in our society, is far far smaller than the gap in privilege between those same repressed demographics and people suffering in other parts of the world.

Privilege is a diagnoses of irrelevance.

And even if we all accepted the notion, how is it actionable? What do you do with privilege exactly? Those who have it have to help more than those who don't? I don't think we should tell anyone what they ought or ought not to do based solely on the circumstances of their birth.

I hate this poo poo since it boils down to 'somebody else somewhere has it worse so shut up already'. Like this exact same sentiment is used to tell people after things like OWS or whatever to stop complaining about poverty or income inequality with the logic that by virtue of living in somewhere like America you were part of the richest of the rich on an international scale, but for people crushed by debt, poverty and inequality over the last several decades that's just being condescending to their plight and trying to divert attention away from real problems that exist by using 3rd worlders, whose problems will more than likely go even more entirely ignored by those making such arguments, as nothing more than a rhetorical bludgeon.

Even still it manages to ignore important appendages to privilege theory, particularly intersectionality which is all about trying to see how things like class or race intersect to victimize certain members of society more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Neurolimal posted:

Like I mentioned in the previous post, it's been exploited by those who wish to silence or supress the concerns of the impoverished. This puts it in an unfavorable view to all parties; fiscal leftists, alt-right (who tend to have deplorable social views and reasonable fiscal), and centrists.

It's a solid term for explaining how black americans are at an inherent disadvantage, but its recent usage as a battering ram against other leftist topics are making it less acceptable by others; in this sense those who wish to cultivate leftist infighting are just as guilty of regressing social causes as any right-wing movement.

If you're referring to this:

Neurolimal posted:

2. It's been recently abused to shout down the concerns of poor americans in general (not even specifically white), as well as used to put unreasonable burden on the class least qualified or prepared for it (These poor people dared to vote for the person who at least told them that they can make things better for them, what horrific selfish racists!

Then we have a massive problem since those poor Americans chose to vote for somebody who loudly and openly stated his intention to victimize non-white or non-male people. Like it or not the fact that they could go out and vote for somebody like Trump with little expectation of getting anywhere near the negative consequences of others as a result of his administration is pretty much the whole point of privilege theory. There's no wide ranging class consciousness at work here, it boils down to a specific segment of the population, even if they aren't well-off, having undue influence that means they can just ignore or even heighten other people's problems without much repercussion.

In any event anybody who uses the language of privilege but is hostile to the impoverished (as opposed to some of the things that some impoverished sectors of the society might support) is basically a fraud who's not being intellectually honest. Its like trying to use the theory of evolution to argue in favor of young earth creationism, you're basically having to ignore what your chosen theory actually says and cutting out parts at the core of it to make it work. In either event its ridiculous to put the onus on either Evolution or Privilege theory if they're being misused so blatantly.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Tongue in cheek gift cards make me angry.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fados posted:

I thought privilege was actually a real and serious matter that one calls to be checked so to require a sober analysis of one's own social advantages.

Luckily one can now easily do it for 5$ a pop. Maybe not so easily cause apparently they sold out.

People often use humor as a way to draw attention to troublesome truths. It is interesting to me though that in this case SJWs aren't taking an issue seriously enough rather than vice versa, for once.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

21 Muns posted:

I don't know, I'd really prefer to keep that "privilege" and extend it to more people, such as, say, everyone.

Not getting shot to death by cops for no reason is not a privilege; it's a right; a right that is violated for many groups in America.

Do you think the aim of people who talk about the privilege in the system that results in Black people being massively more likely to get shot to death by the police is to bring up cop shootings of other races to the same levels?

• Locked thread