Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I think one big takeaway from 11/8 is that internet comment sections are not significantly divorced from reality.

The idea that people will say things online that they wouldn't say in real life or that they don't actually believe them is an outdated myth. Facebook in particular has bridged the gap nicely between a person's "online opinions" and their real identity. The answer might be as simple as "there are a lot of far-right minded people in the US."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think lots and lots and lots of people have very bigoted core worldviews but are well meaning and nicer about it than nazis.

Yeah, this is was what I was getting at with my earlier post. You don't obviously see most people expressing it like neo-nazis, but discussions about public assistance, protests, police issues, etc often get people revealing some of their more nefarious views. Groups like "common sense conservatives" may not be readily labeled as "far right," but they're a hell of a lot closer to the far right than even the center left. I've even seen a few people who self-identify as a democrats expose themselves on topics like drug testing for welfare or "riots" by certain groups.

As far as the original question goes, I don't think the far right dominates online discourse in the sense that places like stormfront are controlling the narratives, but I do think a significant portion of the population holds views that are in line with those of the far right just beneath a thin veneer of civility. Social media is the perfect medium to bring it all out, though.

• Locked thread