Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Hateful assholes are just more visible online because there's no real social consequences for it. This isn't just a right-wing thing, it's just that the neo-Nazis and MRAs draw more attention because they're willing to engage in prolonged harassment campaigns of someone just because that person said a bad thing about their movement or has a Jewish-sounding last name or whatever (because, again, they're hateful assholes who often have nothing better to do with their lives). Also, the left tends to be more focused on attaining actual change and thus tends to be out there volunteering and stuff rather than wasting their time on pointless poo poo like vote brigading online polls or flooding news article comments sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Forceholy posted:

This is kind of true. 75% of Freshmen in High School finish in four years, if at all and only 30% of the US population above the age of 25 have a Bachelor's degree of any kind. However, that doesn't explain how educated elites like Richard Spencer and Peter Thiel can have extremist right-wing beliefs.

Why not? Educated people can be racist or selfish too. There are plenty of Nobel Prize-winning scientists who fell into crackpot horseshit like UFOs or homeopathy afterward. People like to think that being intelligent and educated means they're too smart to trick, but in reality it often just means they're too self-assured to accept the possibility that they might have been swindled by an experienced fraudster.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I guess I'll bite. Who are "they" in this scenario, what's "their" agenda and what motivation do "they" have to silence opposition?

Do you have evidence to support your claim that Politifact has "lost their credibility" other than your opinion?

"They" are anyone who disagrees with him, their agenda is the destruction of this country and everything he holds dear, and their motivation is that they were bribed by the evil globalist one-world Clinton conspiracy.

Aside from making fun of Call Me Charlie, that is a serious point - gatekeepers no longer work because people who are determined to believe fake news would rather believe that the gatekeepers are liars. By pointing out blatant lies over and over again, all the gatekeepers and fact-checkers have really accomplished is convincing a significant portion of the country that they're unfairly biased against Trump or conservative news.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Talmonis posted:

News sourced from "right wing" media needs to be independently verified before it can be trusted. Like normal news, but with the added caveat of "can't be by another right-wing source".

This is also true of news sourced from "left wing" media, as well as "center" media. Really, people - regardless of their ideological bent - should just post their sources if they're going to take an argument virtually verbatim from another site.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eimi posted:

All the Overwatch characters are hot. Tracer isn't the most attractive to me but she is super cute so...:shrug:

She is also the mascot so her being gay is huge.

Roadhog is extremely sexy IMO

Of course, criticizing all progressives because one single person said a thing on Twitter is about as silly as criticizing all conservatives based on the words of a white supremacist UFO maniac (there's gotta be one, I just know it), and the only reason we're hearing about it is because that person is somehow related to a person that Gamergaters and other alt-right types stalk and harass obsessively for dumb reasons.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

After reading this thread, I'd say that I've been convinced that far-right people aren't as big of a problem as they seemed to be when I made this, or at least the alt-right. I still have a big problem with how poo poo like Reddit and Twitter and Google are awful at preventing right-wingers from gaming their systems, however. It seems like they cannot deal with people spamming fake and/or right-wing biased news to the top of the site, and are generally unwilling to deal with terrible fucks like Milo Yabadabbadoopolis unless they piss off a sufficiently famous or rich person. Not to mention how 4chan is able to organize flash mobs to harass people and the site owner does nothing to stop it.

My thoughts now are what exactly can be done about this stuff. How do you effectively pressure these omnipresent sites? No way you can loving boycott Google or Twitter or whatever now, there's way too many users, so hitting them in the wallet isn't an option. And how exactly do you get somebody who runs a site like 4chan to realize how ruinous it is to let their users do whatever idiot thing pops into their head?

The one and only possible answer is strong anti-harassment laws allowing for actual legal consequences for poo poo like death threats and online organized harassment brigades. There are already laws against in-person harassment, but those laws don't really bridge the gap to modern-day harassment and law enforcement is generally reluctant to intervene in cases of harassment from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kilano posted:

In order to implement these things you would need a way to identify online users. Currently they use things like IP addresses to find individuals, but this requires a significant amount of resources. Which means we would need enhanced identifying procedures from ISP's. I'm not saying it's the wrong direction, just that it would be a very large change and a lot of people aren't comfortable with the government tracking their internet usage. And by laws, are we only discussing US users?

The government already has the ability to identify people who break currently existing laws using the internet. It's not really that hard. Also, notice that I did not say "anti-online harassment laws", I said "anti-harassment laws" - things like threatening phone calls often go unaddressed as well.

• Locked thread