Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
1) People with money tend to be rightwing so they can finance memes. For example, there was the Oculus Rift guy who got in a lot of trouble because he was funding super racist Pepe memes (seriously, I can't believe I typed that sentence). It doesn't take very many people to do this because of the viral nature of the internet.

2) Right wing people are easier to scam. Fake news content creators have tried to appeal to both rightwing and leftwing people and have consistently found that the right wing is easier to fleece.

3) "Cubicle culture" tends conservative. So the people with the most time to "like" and "spread" the memes are going to want self-reinforcing conservative content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Upper middle class white people.

This.

Edit: Also this:

Peven Stan posted:

All white people

It's also a trickle down from management (which leans very conservative, especially middle management). It's helpful to have the same politics as your boss if you don't have a union to represent you. Also, that means you can look at conservative websites with less risk. If you are wasting time reading Huffpo, your boss might be concerned about wasting company time reading a gossip site. If you are looking at Drudge Report, well, that is just keeping yourself informed. I've seen that happen with my own eyes. If you have a job with lots of downtime where you are bored and an acceptable outlet for your boredom is rightwing news, guess what you are going to consume? If you consume enough news eventually its message will worm into your brain.

Not a cubicle worker but a friend of mine doing field sales in the midwest has nothing on the radio except for talk radio. Her politics have shifted way to the right because she listens to a couple hours of rightwing propaganda every day. I've been trying to get her into podcasts.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 19, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like how people are saying the Left is too fractious when Republican office holders are legitimately terrified of being called "RINOs" and being primaried from the right. "No guys, what we need to do is move closer to the center and disagree less. We fall in love, they fall in line."

LOL

The Dems hold their base in contempt because what are you gonna to do, vote republican?. On the other hand, Republicans are terrified of their base because they can and will primary them to death.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

Lot's of "white people are the problem" up in here. I think that the left should double down on this rhetoric since it is working so well for them.

TBF, the white race does seem to have a reactionary position born of heredity.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kilano posted:

Yes! I think that would be great. Nazi Propaganda is hate speech and doesnt fall within the realm of protected speech.

What about saying you look like a fat monkey

should that get me banned?

Is the "you" in the scenario Michelle Obama? Because in that case, absolutely!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If a racist burns a cross alone on a black family's lawn, is he really a racist?

Policing the internet is hard. Policing the real world is also hard.

Since the internet is still loosely policed, I'd rather lay a groundwork where the people with ultimate authority seek to silence fascists as opposed to people who want to punish minorities because of their minority status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
May as well not do anything. Unmoderated areas like TorChan clearly show the market of ideas at its best.

• Locked thread