Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Call Me Charlie posted:

All you have to do to understand a guy like Peter Thiel is read his wikipedia. It's not shocking that the anti-authority/angry young republican who created a major business and stumbled into investing in Facebook turned out the way he did. And he'd probably really resent you implying that his sexuality means that he has to support a certain group.

All he proves is a need for redemption centers for those against democracy.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

I think "liberals and conservatives are both bad and both on the same team of loving the worker" has more room to resonate with people than "this Semitic ethno-religious group is the secret cause of all ills but the Electric Jew stops us talking about it" if presented right.

e: Even if not presented right, really, because wtf. But the latter seems to be gaining ground in some circles.

Its really simple. "The financial elite" are loving you over resonates well with most people.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 1, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
The problem with arguing that everyone who voted fro Trump is a loving racist is that it actually ends up reinforcing the ideas of the 90s new democrats. Which got us here in the first place.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Do you think that not getting shot be the police is the only privilege white people have?

Here's a suggestion why don't you ask some white male workers at walmart working the night shift if they feel privileged.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Whether or not you feel privileged has no bearing on whether or not you are privileged. And those white guys undoubtedly have a privilege that the non-whites that Wal*Mart would never consider hiring do not.

Have you ever been to walmart? The Wlatons are evil fuckers who need to be 1793'd but of all the places I worked in my life walmart was the most diverse. Also not they wouldn't have considered their situation privileged outside maybe someone not in America like say a Syrian.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Is English not your first language or something?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Yes, that would indeed be very insulting if I said that. Good thing I'm not saying that and you made that up whole-cloth out of nothing. If you ever want to address something I actually said I'll be here.

Who What Now posted:

Whether or not you feel privileged has no bearing on whether or not you are privileged. And those white guys undoubtedly have a privilege that the non-whites that Wal*Mart would never consider hiring do not.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Refried Hero posted:

And yet that same white guy still has the privilege of not getting shot on his parents front lawn in a relatively nice area because he looked too much like a 'thug'. Don't be deliberately dense. He absolutely has privilege. Any interaction he has with the police or the justice system at all will be significantly more favorable for him than for any person of color. He doesn't have to worry about pregnancy or any kind of serious birth control issues that pretty much every woman has to deal with. He is significantly more likely to end up as the manager of that same lovely job that any other non-white dude. All of these things are part of privilege.

The privilege of not being shot is barley a privilege when your not getting by.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 2, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Refried Hero posted:

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. Just because your situation is lovely, doesn't mean someone else doesn't have it worse. Quite the opposite, in fact, if you are a white dude.

But their not going to care, if their life is lovely.

Pharohman777 posted:

Who What Now, I really loving despise you for not seeing how insulting everything you are saying is for white people with minimum wage jobs.

Telling them that their lovely situation is the result of privilege is not going to make them suddenly thankful for any 'privileges' they have, real or not. It is going make them tell you to gently caress off for saying they should be aware of all the other people who never got the opportunities to be in their lovely position and they are somehow advantaged because they are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with a lovely apartment.

Just want to repost this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

The point isn't to make them thankful for the privileges, you moron.

No the point is for you to feel smug about being woke.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

No, that's merely a pleasant side-effect. The point is to get people to realize that their situation sucks but that other people in similar (this qualifier is very important, so don't forget it) may have it even worse due to arbitrary conditions out of their control like their race or their gender or their health condition. It's to get them to think "Wow, my situation sucks, and it would probably suck even worse if I were black, or a woman, or trans. I should work together with them to raise us all up."

Unfortunately people like you aren't willing to put in the slightest amount of effort into understanding and would rather throw women, minorities, and LGBTs under the bus to focus on your "no war but class war (and specifically the class wars that affect me personally)" ideals.
Yeah or maybe I do want to stop police shootings but I know that the desperately poor are too poor at the moment to be able to concentrate on the horrible injustices right now. I also know that if you ever did act the way you do on here they would never listen to anyone who geniuniley wanted change again. Let me say this, whatever cause you claim to support, you're its greatest enemy. The best way you would help it would be to play warhammer and never ever talk about it because too caustic for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

From what I can parse from your posts, you seem to believe that poor / disadvantaged people are unwilling to care about anyone else, and that asking them to consider the problems of other people will anger and alienate them. Is this true? Why do you believe this?

Its more like this if you try to guilt and scream at them like Who What now is advocating then they will be turned off from the message. They cannot imagine that they are privileged. They have to be turned out by appealing not to think about someone as more disadvantaged but to their general humanity.

Who What Now posted:

You don't, though.

E: Let me be a little more clear. I'm sure you probably think you care about stopping police shootings, but if your only plan to address it is to ignore it because black men being murdered in cold blood just isn't important enough to address right now in lieu of the petty problems you personally face then you actually don't give a poo poo about it at all.

Actually it is. Its just that I don't think screaming at poor whites that their privileged actually helps. Sorry you cannot see it. Now pelase help the cause by playing warhams so it isn't hurt more.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Not to mention all those leftist candidates and legislation that lost big even in places Clinton herself did well.

You mean like how in red states they voted for minimum wage increases? Also jsut so you know having a lovely candidate like HRC can hurt downticket races.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 2, 2017

• Locked thread