Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SaTaMaS posted:

Congrats on being incredibly pedantic, but you're still missing the point. The left does have a group that's just as dominant on the internet. Yet the far right was able to translate their dominance into actual power. Could it possibly be because the far right used everything OP described to criticize their opposition and get people riled up to vote, while the far left used the same techniques to criticize their own party and get people discouraged enough to stay home?

Lol

Discendo Vox posted:

A factor in the toxicity of online communication is paid propaganda, which is A Thing that Russia funds and does. This effects both extremes (Russia tries to destabilize US political discourse by feeding conspiracy and conflict at both ends of the spectrum), but it's had more success in that from the Right in recent years, precisely because we had a Democratic president.

Russian propaganda isn't very good. It's mostly related to RT and Assange (latter being dubious). Israel has a far more effective system than Russia's which crowdsources to people who genuinely hold their beliefs and directs them to highly visible areas. If we're going to start xenophobing there's way more significant targets than a frozen slab with drunkenly scribbled roadlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
just like "yas queen", yelling "kill all white men" doesnt actually display solidarity or a cultured mind, it just makes you look really embarassing and unwilling to confront yourself about why you're so hilarious in-the-wrong-way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is bullshit though. Lots of social norms that used to be universal are universally mocked now.

That wasn't achieved by shaming people expressing those social norms

like, if MLK, Huey Newton, and Malcolm X just wrote on bulletin boards how they thought people were better than this, they would have achieved far less progress

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

porfiria posted:

Teenagers overwhelmingly can't vote, and those that can don't.

a movement that loves to say "just wait until the conservatives die of old age" should not be saying "who cares about the youth, they dont vote"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, it literally was. That's the core function of nonviolent protest.

Except that there was more to the civil rights movement than nonviolence. You are discounting a lot of important historical figures with this cold take.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Talmonis posted:

It's one tactic of many. It also worked well with the target demographic.

One tactic of many is a large difference from hinging your entire efforts on shame. It was effective because MLK was a great orator who sold people on the idea that there should be no sides just equality, and because Newton acted as the "bad cop"; accept the nonviolent movement, or risk setting off a powder keg.

Getting pop stars to talk about how racist and sexist someone is just won't cut it alone.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Are you saying that nonviolent protest was not an effective, primary method of the civil rights movement?

No. Active resistance was equally important, and nothing would have been accomplished without it.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, but it's a start. We don't have a leaderful movement yet, we have BLM and the dregs of Occupy. Widespread, coordinated protest doesn't show up overnight, and mass action was a thing before MLK was involved on the national scale.

Point was that shame did not end vile social norms, as was claimed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hollywood posted:

The Civil rights movement included active resistance. That resistance just wasn't violent. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If your point was that revolution is equally important, the course of history would bear that out. However, the government isn't susceptible to revolution here. It just doesn't work in advanced societies with strong central governments.

Most people would say that toting guns with the threat of violence if the cops pulled anything around them is, in fact, violent resistance.

There's more than just revolution and shame.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hollywood posted:

That is, and it formed a very small portion of the civil rights movement that opponents disproportionately focused on and that ultimately did more harm than good. What great societal modification came from it?

holy poo poo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hollywood posted:

I qualified that with the word "great." It had an effect, just not one that moved the cause forward.

Neurolimal posted:

holy poo poo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Russian propaganda is not mostly RT and Assange. Setting aside all the other media the government directly controls for domestic use, or the various other foreign dissidents and fringe groups the Russian government supports, there are several outfits whose whole job is to troll and/or flood messageboards and comment sections on conventional media. We know the locations of a couple of these outfits because the media have publicly reported on them, and people who worked for them later did interviews.

Literally every country, company, or individual worth more than 10 million dollars has people hired to shitpost. This isn't a stunning display of competency.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Outside the point (which is that blocking your opponent just gives the impression that he "won" to others), it's extra silly because sexy characters aren't inherently sexist, Overwatch has a variety of body types, and liking to feel sexy isn't unique to straight people (source: im bi).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Unless he tells the cops he's probably lying for attention. See the theses of my friend Wi-- ...oh. Hmm. Awkward.

You uh, get what hes going for here right

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I cant articulate it well, but I feel like theres a deeper underlying problem at play responsible for frustraded men and women not finding love and polarizing them that I'm worried could blindside us. It concerns me because I feel like its responsible for a lot of the recent surge in MRA's.

I think a part of it has to do with public expectations and inflated standards due to stereotypes and memes perpetuated by our society. Men are made very noninteractive and distant due to the pressure to not be the passive-aggressive 'nice guy' nor the violent sexist pig, resulting in a loss of passion and individuality. Meanwhile women are given the impression that they are liberated and progressive, which is proven wrong when they display how tightly the double-standards of sexism still cling to them when they exhaust the entirety of their personal bios listing everything they dont want or are afraid to admit wanting (resulting in the already impersonal and timid partners to become even more monotonous and bland). Ironically, the emphasis on suppressing subtle personality reduces some to the caricatures MRA's present, being left with nothing to judge individuals on but their looks and accomplishments.

It also helps that both parties are hilariously awkward and nerdy, adding another clumsy layer to the whole thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You don't think that our society discourages or shames women for admitting that they might want flirting, hookups, and sex?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

stone cold posted:

It totally does, which isn't what you said. You said

Which,
a. sounds like you're blaming women for sexism
b. sounds like you think all women are bad at sex
c. sounds like you have women issues
d. sounds like you think knowing what you don't want in bed=what you are afraid to admit wanting in bed, which, is not only incredibly gross, but a very bad misunderstanding to make. knowing your partners limits is good, and projecting your sexual hangups onto them is frankly, really disgusting
e. please don't refer to women as timid
f. maybe they aren't monotonous and bland; maybe you project a menacing aura or a bad aura and that has resulted in bad sex for you

hope this helps

:tipshat:

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but:

A & B aren't really what I wrote or intended. None of the post intends to shift blame, rather that we figure out why it spreads and if there is a deeper issue. I'm not sure what bad at sex entails; so long as everyone's having a good time I don't think someone is "failing" at sex.

C is kinda weird. There's not really a way to discuss this topic from a male point of view without resulting in coming off as strange like that. It's the result of how extreme MRA pundits have poisoned the topic of male double-standards.

D isn't the intention whatsoever. The point is a combination of 1. The effects of sexism resulting in these strange anti-profiles, where the participants have less of an active positive understanding, but instead a minefield of off-the-table subjects. As for the "afraid to admit" part, its less a fear and more the "have your cake and eat it too" issue where someone has a Hot Person list and an Ugly Person list. Knowing from personal experience (hashtag humblebrag hashtag narcissistic) a lot of these lists dissolve (often at the writers own choice) if you're attractive enough. It's an issue where people intend to sound sophisticated and above carnal passions, while still wanting that (which is entirely fine). It sets up an average person for failure because they dont know anything about you and are coming across and guarded and cold, while favoring older richer men (which isn't a bad thing to be into, mind) who get to walk past those limitations. It's just a lack of honesty that results in meeker partners getting their hopes up.

apologies for the skeevy site, but its not a new experiment and its laid out simply using modern resources . The TLDR is that if Generic Model can ask to gently caress you and get a positive response, then whats the point of wasting your profile establishing a list saying "dont ask to gently caress me" beyond draining any sort of emotion from you and your partner?

E is a misundeestanding; the timid is used to describe the man.

F is entirely possible, though I haven't really had to deal with that since I got fit, so vOv

In the event that this gets personal, I'l go ahead and lay out my background 100%: I was overweight and depressed until I was 20 (and as a result didnt date), then I got on appropriate medicine, lost a ton of weight and picked up a lot of hobbies, and decided to date; on the gay side I had a lot of success and fun, meeting cool people my age and finally getting out of the house. On the straight side I didn't have much luck, which slowly wore me down; I was constantly ghosted after multiple dates where we were clearly having fun, which just left me confused and even more depressed (thinking that there was something wrong with me that nobody would tell me. Yay ghosting). Things looked up when I cut myself off from dating again, got in even better shape, and got a better job, and now I have a partner I really love.

So, yeah. Not really MRA material. I just have experienced what average straight people, gay people, and above-average/attractive people deal with WRT dating. There's very blatant problems with straight dating likely as a result of our culture and double-standards, because they are pretty nonexistent in gay dating.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 30, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Talmonis posted:

There is though. One of the current theories regarding radicalization of young western born terrorists is that it's largely due to social isolation. Specifically a sense of purpose and identity and a feeling of self worth.

Yeah, its kind of really silly to pretend social isolation doesn't create radicals. I mean, you'd have to think arab people have secret Terror Genes to believe it applicable in one extreme situation to arabs but not applicable in a way less extreme situation to white guys.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But it's also silly to think social isolation is the only cause of radicalization. Make someone live in a society that is terrible for them and you'll end up with people that want to smash that society.

But on the flips side if you make a society cater to one type of person they will also radicalize if they see that as threatened. It's not the 'losers' of society that are becoming alt-right, it's the people (white men) that are.

Two things come to mind:

1. A lot of rejection that white men are privileged comes from their current class situation. They may not have it as bad as black poors, but white poors certainly dont believe they are privileged (and ot would be difficult to make such a case considering the sorry state of America and the UK at the moment). That's not to say that what you said can't -also- happen, just that it isn't wise to make a blanket assumption.

2. There's no reason what I've said cannot coexist with what you said. There could even be crossover in the form of well-off kids not knowing how to leverage their wealth to hold better odds at dating/socialization.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also privilege isn't really even supposed to be a dollar value thing. If you are poor the advantages you get outside of terms of money are the big ones. anyway.

Even outside netary value and purchase power, wealth and a lackthereof grant or deprive invaluable social benefits.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The issue is of priorities; even if you consider the high-earning to be terrible in the same way, it's objectively true that they are not the architects nor perpetuators of the extreme inequality we see today. In fact they are often used to scapegoat for the elite. Not to mention that it will be easier to make them accept a unified quality of life with the workers than the kind of people who accumulate millions of dollars to then rot in a bank.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The issue isn't really the concept of a poor minority being less privileged than a poor white, its more that:

1. In the current state of affairs for anyone below upper-middle class, its an unfortunate word to use because their quality of life is low enough that the idea that they're having an easy life (which is what is commonly associated with privilege) is offensive. In political junkie terms, it's bad optics.

2. It's been recently abused to shout down the concerns of poor americans in general (not even specifically white), as well as used to put unreasonable burden on the class least qualified or prepared for it (These poor people dared to vote for the person who at least told them that they can make things better for them, what horrific selfish racists!

If it weren't for the completely manufactured social vs. fiscal leftism quarrel, and the fact that americans in general are in a rough state, there'd be no controvery over the use of the word privileged.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For the record, I don't think its a bad term, just that recent usage has been poisoning it. Sort of like how the phrase virtue-signaling calls to mind MRA's even though its usable without referencing them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Which usage, and by who?

Like I mentioned in the previous post, it's been exploited by those who wish to silence or supress the concerns of the impoverished. This puts it in an unfavorable view to all parties; fiscal leftists, alt-right (who tend to have deplorable social views and reasonable fiscal), and centrists.

It's a solid term for explaining how black americans are at an inherent disadvantage, but its recent usage as a battering ram against other leftist topics are making it less acceptable by others; in this sense those who wish to cultivate leftist infighting are just as guilty of regressing social causes as any right-wing movement.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

khwarezm posted:

If you're referring to this:

Then we have a massive problem since those poor Americans chose to vote for somebody who loudly and openly stated his intention to victimize non-white or non-male people. Like it or not the fact that they could go out and vote for somebody like Trump with little expectation of getting anywhere near the negative consequences of others as a result of his administration is pretty much the whole point of privilege theory. There's no wide ranging class consciousness at work here, it boils down to a specific segment of the population, even if they aren't well-off, having undue influence that means they can just ignore or even heighten other people's problems without much repercussion.

The issue is that you can't just turn your nose up and denigrate them for choosing survival over virtue. A lot of dems are opting to double down on shaming these people for not voting ir voting trump, rather than considering the idea of presenting both social and fiscal leftism.

These people dont see it as "being privileged enough to not care about Trump's policies", they see it as "being desperate enough to support anyone willing to acknowledge them, or just losing all hope and not voting at all".

quote:

In any event anybody who uses the language of privilege but is hostile to the impoverished (as opposed to some of the things that some impoverished sectors of the society might support) is basically a fraud who's not being intellectually honest. Its like trying to use the theory of evolution to argue in favor of young earth creationism, you're basically having to ignore what your chosen theory actually says and cutting out parts at the core of it to make it work. In either event its ridiculous to put the onus on either Evolution or Privilege theory if they're being misused so blatantly.

I agree that they're frauds, but the issue is that they try to retain respect by, rather than saying "gently caress poor people, I'm not poor" they craft a false history of fiscal leftism suppressing social progress. They abuse and tarnish the term Privilege when doing this.

Who What Now posted:

Where are you actually seeing this happen?

It happened constantly during the primary (when it seemed like Hillary could win without respecting poor voters), then happened quite a bit after the election, and now is only brought up in places without dissenting voices.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Social and fiscal leftism was presented. Huge portions of Clinton's speeches were about her plans to shape fiscal policy. Stop spreading this lie.

It was a minor point at best in her campaign. She actively ignored the states and towns most ravaged by the current state of affairs, and downplayed fiscal topics the moment the primary was over. As Chuck Schumer said: “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

quote:

I don't remember ever seeing a single instance of the concept of privilege being used to silence and rhetorically bludgeon people. Since it apparently happened so often, could you give me specific examples?

You never encountered the constant arguments that New Deal's outcome meant that fiscal leftists couldn't be trusted to support social leftism? What about "Breaking up the banks wont end racism"? Jokes about 'economic anxiety' early after the election whenever it was suggested that racism didn't sweep trump into the office? Damning rust belt voters who didnt turn out as being privileged/racist for not bein energized and enthusiastic about the idea of voting for Hillary whenever anyone suggested she was at fault?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 1, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ATP5G1 posted:

The problem is that the data doesn't support your rhetoric. Survey after survey has demonstrated racial animus to be a primary driver of Trump voters. And analysis of Clinton's speeches and rhetoric demonstrate they were overwhelmingly about jobs and fiscal policy. The issue is how her campaign was covered--i.e. significantly less than Trump's, with more consistent criticism compared to her primary opponents and an overwhelming focus on emails.

On racial animus, see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and a big summary article here. I mean, you can feel any way you want to about Trump supporters, but just because you feel their primary interests are economic anxiety doesn't mean it's true. In fact, here and here and here discuss that Trump supporters themselves tend to be more well off than those around them. They just feel like everything is terrible.

As for coverage of Clinton--you only need to read here and here for analyses of the media coverage to understand how little Clinton's actual words and policy proposals had to do with what was reported about her.

The first part is a nonsequitur to what I said, and doesn't take into account those who just didn't vote.

As for the second part, what were you expecting to happen with a media blackout? Sanders got his message out easily by interacting with the media, Trump got his slogans and larger stances out easily by interacting with the media, why are we supposed to be outraged that the media didn't put in extra footwork to cater to her?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

From what I can parse from your posts, you seem to believe that poor / disadvantaged people are unwilling to care about anyone else, and that asking them to consider the problems of other people will anger and alienate them. Is this true? Why do you believe this?

It's more that the plight of other disadvantaged people is constantly brought up as some sort of counter to their own problems, whenever the idea of them pursuing a solution to their problem is brought up.

It's not hard to notice by following this conversation: people brought up that opposition to the term is a result of poor optics and attempts to bludgeon other issues with it, they get insulted and eventually its used to bludgeon other issues. For the past two pages it's been like so:

One side: This term doesnt work well for convincing others

Other side: It's not meant to convince others or be applied to shame or persuade, it's just an intellectual term

Other Other side: check your privilege is an important phrase to shame and persuade others. They must know their privilege even though I will admit that they lack privilege in other areas.

Who What Now earns a special mention, since they decided that this was a debate arena instead of polite conversation, and intentionally ignored replies in some effort to "win"

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 2, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rush Limbo posted:

Just to clarify, there may indeed be a judgmental aspect tacked onto such a statement, but that's the personal preference of the person making the statement, and not actually implied in the fact the statement has brought to light.

For example, "Climate change is real, you loving cretin"

In this particular statement, the person is asserting that climate change is real. It is. It's existence doesn't actually lend any character judgement on anyone, though, that's entirely on the person who is adding such judgement on.

Likewise, "You're privileged, you rear end in a top hat" is potentially bringing to light the existence of a lack of introspection on that person's privilege, and is making a judgement.

The "You're privileged" doesn't actually say anything about them as a person. The "you rear end in a top hat" is what does that. "You're privileged" on its own would have been just as sufficient, but the initial statement has a greater amount of expression, and we wouldn't want to stifle that, would we?

The issue with this is that it's possible to imply something without outright stating it via context. If I see a weelchair-bound person nearby and start loudly talking about how much I love running, most people are going to intuit that i'm an rear end in a top hat, for example.

Similarly, if someone is talking about how important fiscal issues are, and someone else says "you're privileged enough to be able to talk about that instead of my problems", the people reading aren't going to go "huh, hes pointing out that privilege exists and affects our focus and goals", they're going to think "this person doesn't like this other person airing out their grievances or theories, and wants to shut it down".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

In the first example, one might well say "hey I think you're being a bit insensitive, seeing as I can't walk. You might wanna check your privilege."

In the second example, one might well say "hey I can't really relate to what you're talking about to be honest. You might wanna check your privilege there, me and my friends and family can barely afford rent."

I don't see how either is controversial. If either person gets offended by those statements, the fault is not on the person who called them out.

Now, if you say instead "Wow, how elitist are you? Check your privilege, you ableist, one percent piece of filth," then you're obviously the rear end in a top hat. It doesn't matter what words you used, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

It's passive aggression, is my point. The first example isn't me not noticing the crippled individual, its me passive-aggressively making fun of them in a way with plausible deniability. Similarly, in the second example the person responding to the first doesn't think that the first would appreciate an intellectual lesson its saying "my issue is more important" in a way that is the verbal equivalent of "im not touching yoooouuu".

• Locked thread