Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Regarding the wheechair bound person earing me talk bout running within earshot example, I feel it's realy condescending to restrain myself from talking about some thing I love for fear that i'd be making some guy feel inadequate about his inability of doing that same thing. I would assume most mature people are able to deal with their own inadequacies and don't have the need to be constantly sheltered from bad feelings especially when these aren't being caused be insults or direct verbal attacks of some kind.

Furthermore I reckon that if I was physically disabled myself I would definitly prefer that people would just treat me like any other person, and i can't imagine asking for some kind aditional attention or restrain for issues that could somehow remind me of my disablity, because I feel that admonishing people like that would infact actually be reinforcing my feeling of inadequacy, instead of some kind of normality I would be striving for, and I feel that would be a bad symptom of my emotional intelligence and stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

This insistense to keep disparaging people's opinions based purely on some random personal feature and not by the strength or their arguments is why the far right is so strong on the internet and will probably also be 'in real life' soon enough

There is only so much space for dumb idetity politics and the right are surely better at it

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Tell us more about how black men not wanting to get shot to death by the police for literally no reason is "dumb idetity(sic) politics". I'm sure your thoughts will be well-reasoned and insightful.

Hey there cowboy, take a deep breath before you hurt yourself.

Some identity politics are justified, others are just dumb. 'Check your privilige' falls to latter category

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What's the difference, in your mind? Which identity politics are dumb and why?

The ones that have no practical function other than to censure arguments and gain the moral highground

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/12/check-your-privilege-cards-are-the-best-gift.html

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

I thought privilege was actually a real and serious matter that one calls to be checked so to require a sober analysis of one's own social advantages.

Luckily one can now easily do it for 5$ a pop. Maybe not so easily cause apparently they sold out.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Every race in america is victim of police brutality tho, everyone should be able to get on board with that, so even in that case they are doing themselves a disservice by framing it as a race problem.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Really? Would you like to post those stats that show police brutality is visited equally upon all races?

I admit my sources amount to the first 5 hits of "black lives matter statistics" on google but i'd be happy to get your input on this.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

khwarezm posted:

People often use humor as a way to draw attention to troublesome truths. It is interesting to me though that in this case SJWs aren't taking an issue seriously enough rather than vice versa, for once.

You do have a point here, if the meme functioned mostly in this way it might have a positive function instead of the sanctimonious narcisistic tool it actually amounts to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Yeah I'm having difficulties parsing that post without the poster's privilege rating. Please provide the relevant context next time, ty

• Locked thread