Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
I don't mean this as a sweeping answer to your question, but a huge part of the problem is claiming that an idea, just because it's bigoted or stereotypical related to the right, creates this illusion that there simply a "team 1" and "team 2."

I figure most of us have very leftist-friends (and ourselves) who we would easily identify as "far left." But that doesn't mean they couldn't have a belief in any of the following:
Pro-life (Lots of catholics are liberals!)
Pro-war and occupation in the middle east.
Pro war against North Korea.
Pro-bombing North Korea.
Anti-Islamic (I know TONS of coastal Leftists who are anti-Islamic while preaching religious tolerance, just as the rights in funny youtube videos do)
Distrusting minorities.
Wanting tighter immigration.
Believe 9-11 was an inside job.
Suspicious of gay marriage.
Hates the homeless, wants them in prison.
Wants weed smokers in prison.
Wants any drug users in prison.
Hates government handouts.
Despises free college.
Demand lower taxes for all including corporations.
Mens-Rights.

This list could go on and on and on. And I know if we thought a bunch about our liberal friends, and especially family, we could see a ton of these ideas being supported in our own lefty social circles (assuming you have are in one.)

All the points above don't even equate a "right-leaning" or "right" person. They're just hateful ideas that people of all creeds and class believe in.
These ideas are what people are getting behind, right or left. These ideas come from bigotry, ignorance, and in my opinion the giant broken USA class system.

edit: I really feel like I see a lot of people, particularly here, really banging their head about the "right" problem. But the hate is all around us, and a lot of it is in us.

edit edit: and I understand that we can say "oh but hey maybe most rights/Republicans believe in these things!!!" but do we see the similarities in beliefs across political parties, or within class and other institutionalized groups.

Also only 2% of Americans don't have access to internet, as as we all know the older people are most involved in politics and have (gasp) older and outdated ideas and just post post post.

Final edit (sorry): The above examples are things I personally are using that are claimed to be "traditionally" right and calling them bigoted reflects on my own personal values - I include them for demonstration on what are some popular ideas that I believe get attributed to being solely "right".

Rushi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

SaTaMaS posted:

The far-left is also quite good at using the internet and social media to sway opinions, but we aren't allowed to criticize them in order to not alienate them. Anyway, I'm sure the Democratic party will eventually come together for the good of the country when it matters most. Any day now.

I love that "someone might disagree with me on the internet and hurt my feelings and maybe even say something stupid to me" was too much of a mouthful so now people just say "we aren't allowed to criticize [the x]."

I can't decide on stormfront, free republic, or even the largest media organization "Fox News" as my sarcastic example of places where you "aren't allowed" to talk bad about the left. (And yes, there are tons of places for the left to trash whoever. There is no shortage of places to trash people on the internet.)

Edit: Sorry, as quoted below I said [the left], and did not edit it quickly enough to make my point that I think this idea that "x group" is not "allowing" people to post to me seems quite ridiculous, I'm not really one to agree with "Bernie Bros" but that does not mean they have any power whatsoever to "not allow" me to criticize them if I so felt like it. People disagreeing on private internet forums, including Facebook is not "not allowing" you to think anything. There are plenty of places to criticize the left as there are plenty to criticize the right, gays, blacks, straights, whites, whoever. And that plays into what I said about the point of the opening post. It's not just one group, everyone's splintered and putting each other into groups and then making claims that there freedom of thought is ruined by any-one-of-a-fuckton of internet media outlets (which is the secret cabal uprising one).

Rushi fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 18, 2016

• Locked thread