Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

In order to propagate the idea it is not necessary to convince people who have already decided they hate it, it is necessary to convince people who are actually interested. And for them the term is quite functional. There are always reactionaries to any challenging idea. I see no reason to listen to them when they come "concerned" that the idea is too radical and if only it were phrased in nicer, less challenging terms it would gain more traction.

Of course it might, but then it wouldn't serve the goal it needs to. Many other ideas have faced the same challenge and have succeeded in overcoming it by the efforts of their proponents. I see no reason to believe the proponents of intersectional progressivism will not succeed as well.

Yes but curtailing the misuse of this concept would be helpful in getting people who aren't actively hostile to it to have an open mind. People on the left have been using the concept of privilege as an argument for too long.

I've had a number of discussions with people who are right-leaning that ended with them agreeing with the concept by describing it without using the word privilege until after they're sold. Many people hostile to it have a completely warped view of what it actually means. Some of that is bad faith nonsense from the right, but having a bunch of loud assholes on the left willfully owning the straw man isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rush Limbo posted:

There is no judgmental aspect to privilege, no. There is quite an interesting aspect to the kind of person who takes such a milquetoast concept so personally that they're deeply offended by its very existence, though. What exactly is it they have a problem with?

I mean, i'm aware that the food chain exists. It's existence, and it being pointed out to me, doesn't cause me to feel deep feelings of shame or anger. If it did, I'd probably want to figure out why that is, because it's not a normal response.

In what sort of bubble do you live that you actually believe this? Like I get that it's not supposed have those connotations but we can't even get the left to reliably understand that nevermind the actual poor white people who are having it thrown at them.

It just strikes me as the gooniest thing in the loving world to say something dismissive and divisive and then act like "well they shouldn't be offended if they were as woke as me". It's doesn't matter what the concept is supposed to mean if you can effectively communicate it, what matters is the message that actually gets received.

Edit: phone post typos

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of that and I'm stating my disagreement with that argument by giving examples of how the phrase is commonly used by normal people, and using his examples to illustrate my own point. Do try and keep up.

Your examples were of examples of what's he was talking about, it's shutting down someone's concerns by saying someone else has it worse.

I'm "pro-privilege" as a term but their objections are completely valid and should be considered when deciding when and how to introduce the subject to someone.

I mean didn't any of you every have any sort of instruction in dealing with people in crisis? You don't tell a depressed person that someone else has it worse. Same idea.

• Locked thread