Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think you're a bit delusional if you honestly believe that OP. Do you think any mainstream discussion platform online that wasn't explicitly created for the purpose of discussing right wing politics had a population that preferred Trump over Hillary? (4chan is the only one I can think of and that's pushing the limits of mainstream, and the worst of it is in their dedicated right wing politics forum.) Can you tell me what sort of places you're talking about? What lead to this belief?

If your real question is "why are people on the right allowed to congregate on the internet at all?" then well, I'm not all that interested in the topic, but that's not what it sounds like.

Pretty much. Right-leaning platforms are a tiny minority.

They just seem common because left-leaning outlets will breathlessly repeat anything they say.

Take the KKK. They have about 5,000 members and 71,300,000 google results.

Or "Sad Puppies" Hugo thing. The most recent Hugos had 3,130 votes. But there are 36,200 google pages talking about the conservative attempt to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Once anonymity is involved, the only method of avoiding a flood of "Show your boobs!" or a bunch of racist or transphobic bullshit is moderation that isn't afraid of banning people for using slurs or engaging in harassment, or else the left is inevitably going to leave. There are concrete examples of this on this very forum.

This doesn't fit with the numbers I've seen.

Something Awful is heavily moderated. It's more male than the internet average: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/somethingawful.com

4chan is anonymous. It's more female than the internet average: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/4chan.org

It doesn't seem as simple as women are liberal, anonymity drives them away. Unless you're saying that liberals are driven away by hostile places, even if they're not the ones being attacked?

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I respect your experience here, but the moment people had to post with their real names in the Feminist Group, things changed. There was one individual posting under a pseudonym who followed a rape victim around demanding that, if she were really raped, she would tell her whole story. This was back when Facebook required a .edu address, and he would not have posted what he did otherwise, as openly stated by him, for fear of retaliation from university administration. There's a discussion to be had about what's too far in terms of "outrage culture," maybe, which could be related to the left turning against itself, vendettas, doxxing, and the like, but having your identity tied to what your write does make a lot of people adjust what they say - at the very least, they aren't flat-out going to drop the N-word if they're students or if they work for a corporation which has a brand to maintain.

The real-name seems less important than an inability to re-register after a ban.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is the crux of it, really. The truth is that center-left liberalism is by far the dominant social viewpoint on the internet, much like everywhere else. Far-right hysteria feels dominant because it's antagonistic to the norm. If the far right were really so dominant, we wouldn't bother talking about it, it would be normal.

I suspect this also why trolls seem right-wing.

Center-leftisim dominates. So, platforms that are vulnerable to trolls get filled with stuff that antagonizes center-leftists.

If different things antagonized people, we'd see trolls posting different things.

Bicyclops posted:

I think we're into a semantics debate about what "dominant" means, maybe. I'd say soft center liberalism is definitely the prevailing viewpoint in terms of subscribers, so to speak, but that far right ideology is the loudest and can dominate discourse. It is, I think, possible to have a group with both anonymity and relatively little administrative content management that allows for a far-right oriented conversation to flourish, while I do not think the same is true of the left.

Tumblr seems to be doing fine, as does twitter.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

We have already discussed Tumblr, but is it your contention that Twitter is a vehicle for the far left, or that center left liberal discourse dominates Twitter?

I'm disagreeing with this:

quote:

I think, possible to have a group with both anonymity and relatively little administrative content management that allows for a far-right oriented conversation to flourish, while I do not think the same is true of the left.

Left-oriented conversations can flourish on twitter or tumblr. The spaces aren't dominated by the far-right.

As a semi-aside: I'm not sure why the claim seems to be drifting from: "the far-right dominates" to "there is no equivalent far-left". Those seem like they're totally separable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Eimi posted:

I'd also say that going communist to center leftists is something that antagonizes the center left but there's very little communists in comment sections ironic or otherwise. I mean I saw some great mock ups of DPRK propaganda with Bernie edited in, but that was an exception rather than a rule. Instead there was a drive to distance/look respectable even on forums all for Bernie.

Basically there does not seem to be a far left like there is a far right.

Communists don't antagonize center-leftists.

New York Times: A Young Publisher Takes Marx Into the Mainstream

quote:

“Bhaskar’s a really remarkable — I want to say kid, but that sounds condescending,” said the MSNBC host Chris Hayes, who gave Jacobin a shout-out in Rolling Stone last June before inviting Mr. Sunkara onto his show. (Mr. Sunkara skipped part of his college graduation to appear.) “He’s got the combination of boastful assurance and competence of a very good young rapper.”

And, even when the center-left does get annoyed at the far-left, the response is generally divided between people going "Tone! Incrementalism!" and people responding "Punching Up! Vision!"

falcon2424 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 19, 2016

• Locked thread