Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

Lol this is totally wrong. Just look at blowfish's avatar. Right-wing Internet users do not have a monopoly on getting worked up and lobbing personal attacks against other internet users.

The association of politeness with left or liberal politics in this thread is extremely weird. I don't think anybody would confuse me calling someone a moronic Nazi for either right-wing or civil speech.

Likewise, it's possible for a racist Stormfront poster to interact civilly with black posters on a hobby forum or a news article where they agree (i.e. "local man arrested for jerking off at preschool"), or for someone on the economic far-right to condemn overt racist posts.

This discussion is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BarbarianElephant posted:

There's different sorts of politeness "I hate Nazis" is very different from "I hate Muslims." Both sides are not the same!

I understand that and agree, but both are provocative to certain audiences, and both could be and are used to attack people and to troll.

Liberals are just as capable of saying mean things to and about people as conservatives and fascists, and often do. Whether or not those things are more fair or accurate has little to do with whether or not they're "nicer", or less likely to provoke a fight if you say them in the right place.

• Locked thread