Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Not optimistic about this OP. It screams boring western horror game to me. I hope it turns out good though.

it's going to be cool and you will look like a fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Footage Ive seen makes it look like PC Exclusive Horror Release #1014 so Im a little wary OP.

The stuff I've heard from people with review copies is it's closer to remake resident evil, in first person view. Item boxes, rotating items in 3d to find puzzle clues or hidden buttons. That sorta stuff.

I won't know for sure until I play it myself though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjOFd0YNo0

They did it!! They really did it.

It seriously is that mix of classic adventure game with action set pieces that early resident evil was defined by, just in first person.

You're exploring a complex of rooms and hallways for clues to what is going on and items that let you solve puzzles to progress. There's specially coded locked doors requiring themed keys, there's combat but often times just avoiding enemies is the best way forward. There's a limited inventory and safe rooms with special music and item boxes to store junk in that carries across rooms.

The biggest change up besides the shift to first person is the stalker characters that hunt you throughout the estate while you are trying to do all this. Sort of like Alien Isolation once they are activated they stick around and patrol the environment. You can put them down but it takes resources and they'll get back up again.

The sound design is phenomenal too, the house is old and creaky and makes so many noises that surround you and keep you on edge, especially since every noise might be a tell for danger in another room.

I'm still early but I love it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There also seems to be lots of secret special triggers that change how scenes play out, me and my friend started at the same time and during one of the first big encounters I ended up in a situation that he never saw at all and it blew my mind.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Of course not.

I'm going to Redbox this on the weekend because I'm still on the fence. Really hope that it's good

It's really drat good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the safe room music is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPr6Oq2x4PQ

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

im itching to play it right now but i want to wait until its dark out again so I get those classic horror gaming feels

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frank.club posted:

This honestly might be one of the best resident evils. It's tense and really goofy at times. It feels as good to play as REmake and the boss design so far has been super strong.

i really appreciate the evil dead inspiration because it gives the boss fights lots of personality

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

there was an interview early on after announcement where they said they had always designed their games based on the theme of 'biohazard' and all that entailed, which is why the plot started becoming focused soley on fighting bioterrorism and such. For this one to change it up they decided to focus on the resident evil title instead and part of the process ended up being watching a lot of american horror movies i guess

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Ive heard its short so I may rent it and thon it this weekend.

like 9-11 hours maybe?

i feel like im near the end but don't know for sure, and I'm at 10

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Me during the entire ending sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

finished in 10:27 and it genuinely stands up with remake and 4 as the best survival horror games ever

also theres a teaser after the credits for something coming out soon that sounds insanely crazy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frank.club posted:

it does take place after six, and one of Wesker's notes in the previous game mentions the protagonist of seven. It does but the way it does is pretty cool and all the way at the end of the game.

yeah it's really focused on itself and building up its own characters. To the point of almost a fault, the game doesn't even start with that really sick resident evil voice clip. Honestly if you popped this disc in without knowing what it was at all you wouldn't even realize it was a named resident evil game until you started solving door puzzles lol, I think the first time I even saw any of the other game's mentioned was like 5 or 6 hours in when I found an article on Raccoon City.

you can find a news article written by a character from outbreak earlier, they're pretty much all subtle references

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

one thing im sad this game is missing compared to original resident evil is the two stories/protagonists idea. They never were major changes to how the story played out but it gave a benefit to replay and try the game with different challenges (or less for jill

i bet they nixed it because so many people just play a game once and are done with it though, and that kind of feature means a lot of work

• Locked thread