Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we stopped paying songwriters more than performers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

and this gets to the problem of midi, that it sounds like 1980s tech and always will

The reason you think it sounds like "80's tech" is because studio engineering has been simultaneously enhanced in precision (so we have better resolution than the 31,200 bps midi pipe) and devalued as a trade (so you can make interns line up samples to the 96k sample for $12 an hour). We pay people slave wages to carefully perfect the sequencing and production.

that sound was humanity in the machine, and it is now 'quirky 80s nostalgia'.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well yeah but when am i ever going to miss a chance to crank out a smooth sax solo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
#neatfacts

my bloody valentine's Loveless' drum tracks are all sampled drum hits from the drummer, then they quantized the entire loving thing and ran his drums into the sample bank, this is why Loveless sounds like a studio demo with a Boss drum machine

• Locked thread