Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So... There's a lot fewer rules this time around. Does that mean we can reuse old assets by any chance? I was intending to make everything from scratch but the usual artist doesn't have much time this time around, so if it's kosher I might use some of the characters and graphics from what.exe etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Off with their peels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Se7OmIlm-U

Edit: NEW AND IMPROVED GAMEPLAY VIDEO!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD_JdVkIoTk

kukrunkarmaskin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 5, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Things are really shaping up now.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
In a week you've all accomplished more than hyperdevbox has well... basically ever done. :hfive:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I fell into the "Minigames are great," trap and don't think I had the best theme adherence with the last idea. I might revert to a simpler idea where you are on fire and run around because it amuses me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jo posted:

I fell into the "Minigames are great," trap and don't think I had the best theme adherence with the last idea. I might revert to a simpler idea where you are on fire and run around because it amuses me.

Is it really a trap? I'm not a game jam expert at all. My understanding is that you should always try to make mini-games for game jams because they require the least effort to get to that MVP status or whatever, which leaves you with the most time possible for the polishing stuff that realistically takes up so much time and will eventually end up being decent enough that you can put it on a resume or whatever. Again, though, I am retarded.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
PANIC JAM: DAY 3 :derp:

I did a lot of cool things today but a lot of it is just code, so please enjoy this gif of me cycling through characters.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Day 3 done, basic work behind worldbuilding underway. We're working to create 'tiles' of obstacles which we can use to make random levels for our runners. Originally each tile was a prefab in Unity, and we would randomly load one after another. The problem with that is you can't have 'prefabs of prefabs'; if I wanted to update one of the obstacles in a tile prefab, I couldn't just update the obstacle's own prefab (because each instance of that obstacle in the tile prefab would be unaffected). Tomorrow our levels will be created by tiling scenes of obstacles, which we create and test ourselves using a scene which randomly generates roads. By loading scenes for our tiles, we can keep each obstacle in the scene as a prefab, and updating one prefab will update all instances across all tiles.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is it really a trap? I'm not a game jam expert at all. My understanding is that you should always try to make mini-games for game jams because they require the least effort to get to that MVP status or whatever, which leaves you with the most time possible for the polishing stuff that realistically takes up so much time and will eventually end up being decent enough that you can put it on a resume or whatever. Again, though, I am retarded.

It means less reused resources and more schizophrenic gameplay. Rather than getting one mechanic that feels good, you can end up with a lot of half-assed mechanics.

Day 4: I have a player that moves around a space. I'm thinking if I can make throwing stuff feel good I might make a game about quickly cleaning your apartment. Similar to other idea, but instead of minigames, top-down controls. As a twist, maybe not enough time to clean up completely so you have to move stuff around the apartment as your girlfriend moves around the apartment before going to bed.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jo posted:

It means less reused resources and more schizophrenic gameplay. Rather than getting one mechanic that feels good, you can end up with a lot of half-assed mechanics.

I might have the wrong understanding here.. aren't game jams supposed to help you go from scratch to playable game quickly? I thought that it's [almost] always encouraged to start from scratch.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm feeling good about our algorithmic atoll generation.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Love Stole the Day posted:

I might have the wrong understanding here.. aren't game jams supposed to help you go from scratch to playable game quickly? I thought that it's [almost] always encouraged to start from scratch.

I think you are misunderstand each other.

I think he means multiple minigames, which would require assets for each games compared to a single game requiring one set of assets.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Now scaled back and with distinction between jungle and sandbank:

e: More land inside for gameplay reasons:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 5, 2017

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I did literally nothing on Day 3 :(

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'll just go ahead and assume I can reuse some old assets then. Hope you liked Turbo Voynich Manuscript!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Writing a PSG instead of game code is probably bad, but don't forget to spend time panicking all of the players senses.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Starting to look a little more like a game. Today's agenda is to stop messing with display stuff and start making some actual gameplay.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I'm judging so not an official entry, but I'm going to try and make something stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8qovowws0&hd=1

real stupid

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
It's something.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

It's adorable. :3:

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

It's something real cute.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Jo posted:

It's adorable. :3:

LeFishy posted:

It's something real cute.

<3

(supposed to be a wig but goddamnit i put poop on a head again)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

More soothing than panic so far, but I like it anyway. :kimchi:

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Mo_Steel posted:

More soothing than panic so far, but I like it anyway. :kimchi:

It's all physics-based and the blocks keep moving at slightly different speeds so timing your jumps and keeping your balance is p stressful. Gonna add different block shapes and sizes to hopefully make it feel more panic-y!

Haven't done a jam in forever, really loving being a part of it again, especially to kick off a new year!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Stuff looks real interesting so far, I'm looking forward to play these games. Keep it up!

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
My game now has something resembling gameplay! Interactable doors!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I added a leopard! I took way too long to animate it in spriter, but it beats anything I could animate frame by frame.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Day 4 progress.
Had an hour tonight to play around with this a bit.
Still trying to make my prototype fun, not quite there yet but soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPza9YzFhQ8

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Only took 12 hours of screaming, but our main character for team PUNCH FIGHT is finally low polyd and textured, now I can sleep.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I've finally come up with an idea to use for the jam, and though most of it isn't concrete in my mind I at least have the line I wrote down when planning:

"Master dead or diarrheaing"

... so I'm pretty well set.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Keket posted:

Only took 12 hours of screaming, but our main character for team PUNCH FIGHT is finally low polyd and textured, now I can sleep.

Whoa that's awesome

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Day 4: I passed my exam so now I can devote more time to... whatever this is:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I think I a hunting animals simulator will be more fun to do :D

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
A hot reminder that these are the current judging categories:

Most Fun

We just couldn’t put you down.

Best Use of Theme

You cleverly used the theme better than all the rest.

Best Narrative

Stories you wove enthralled us. Narrative for days.

Best Audio

We hear you loud and clear. For SFX and Music.

Best Style

That's so punk rock.

Game of Jam

You made the best thing. Good work.

:siren: Hottest Mess :siren:

Your game is functional and fun, but why is Waluigi here? Did Sonic The Hedgehog just suplex Pikachu? Why does this look like a 15 year old’s Game Maker nightmare? At least you got it all out of your system before the summer jam.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Watch out for the ostrich crew.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So... There's a lot fewer rules this time around. Does that mean we can reuse old assets by any chance? I was intending to make everything from scratch but the usual artist doesn't have much time this time around, so if it's kosher I might use some of the characters and graphics from what.exe etc.

The rules are as stated in the OP. No more, no less.

:siren: Also gonna plug our ~Twitter~ which is diligently retweeting cool screenshots and video you tweet at us or #AwfulJams.

Smash that like button and join the conversation :suicide:

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/816343387704004608

Best to get in on the action now before Twitter inevitably sinks into the pits of hell.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
PANIC JAM: DAY 4 :derp:

hooray placeholders

When there isn't an actual game, even in skeletal stages, progress feels so slow. I just have to have faith all the various parts will come together soon!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Putting together the work done yesterday on additive loading, today I worked on scene generation and modular ground tiles. Putting things together, you can now run forever. Controls are designed for an xbox controller, the blue beam comes out when you use the right stick, and goes away when you hit 'A'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmooOOOH5Yw

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/817222759264743425

Embedding tweets is cool. Today I solved a problem by randomly shuffling a list of numbers instead of trying to design constraints for things. I'm also making a lot of use out of anchored spawn points and lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Getting trickier and cuter

and a v tiny detail I really love: The shadow expanding when landing on the ground the first time

• Locked thread