Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Are we allowed/supposed to call dibs on our theme use or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Look at me, Daddy, I can Blender too!

(since somebody already, independently posted that they're going with the same idea as us, i figure it doesn't matter but we're also doing the black friday thing)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Keket posted:

Let me, axe you a question.

I can only dream of being that good with Blender one day.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jo posted:

I fell into the "Minigames are great," trap and don't think I had the best theme adherence with the last idea. I might revert to a simpler idea where you are on fire and run around because it amuses me.

Is it really a trap? I'm not a game jam expert at all. My understanding is that you should always try to make mini-games for game jams because they require the least effort to get to that MVP status or whatever, which leaves you with the most time possible for the polishing stuff that realistically takes up so much time and will eventually end up being decent enough that you can put it on a resume or whatever. Again, though, I am retarded.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jo posted:

It means less reused resources and more schizophrenic gameplay. Rather than getting one mechanic that feels good, you can end up with a lot of half-assed mechanics.

I might have the wrong understanding here.. aren't game jams supposed to help you go from scratch to playable game quickly? I thought that it's [almost] always encouraged to start from scratch.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
He could make a recipe for gun powder and call it Robespierre's last meal

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
This game jam has accomplished the impossible feat of motivating me buckle down and learn the basics of Blender.

After doing a couple beginner tutorials I was able to start a new thing and make this in 10 minutes, which almost makes me feel like I know what I'm doing:

They're supposed to be store shelves..

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I did a terrible shopping cart from scratch all by myself with only a reference picture or two. I think I'm getting a lot more comfortable with Blender now. I could never have even done this last week. Thank you, awfuljam.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
This Game Jam gave me the motivation I needed to carve enough time out of my day on a regular basis to learn the basics of Blender. Thanks OP et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Credit to TheOrange and Blade for getting complimented left and right during our gong show segment.
also credit to me for not getting poo poo on endlessly in that segment despite it being my first time doing 3d stuff.

• Locked thread