Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Young Freud posted:

I really think all the cuts are good and have something worthwhile. I'm wholly of the opinion that the theatrical cut's exposition track added something to the whole film noir ambiance. I don't even buy the excuse that Harrison Ford sounded bored while doing them, the voiceover matched the whole "cold fish" wandering apathy of Deckard. There's some great lines in that voiceover that it's a shame they're lost like tears in rain.

So, really, you should watch the theatrical version followed by the Final Cut.
I agree. I thought the voiceover was nice and added to it. It could have been better, but I didn't get the impression Ford was just trying to throw the whole thing acting bored either. then again ti's been a decade since it saw it and last time I tried to watch it I fell asleep so welp. The other cuts are also good too though the unicorn poo poo was kinda lame imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Final Cut is absolutely the best version of the movie but Blade Runner was my favorite movie of all time even before I saw the Director's Cut in the 90s and the Final Cut in the 00s. But if one doesn't plan on re-watching flicks often I'd watch the Final Cut.

If you get a release of the Final Cut with all the extras included, one thing that's interesting is that you can watch all the weird deleted scenes in one chronological block. So it's like this bizarre 40 minute first draft of the movie with a bunch of locations and things you don't get in any released version of it. The multi-hour making of documentary is pretty nuts too.

I don't think the Final Cut makes it hard to argue Deckard isn't a replicant, rather it makes it hard to argue what he is one way or the other which I think is more effective.

I saw as screening of one of my favorite cheesy movies, Trancers, tonight, and they played the Blade Runner 2049 trailer before it which was great to see on the big screen. It's very very very pretty.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, the multi-hours documentary is amazing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This movie looks dumb, and the trailer looks to be some kinda of Harrison ford reveal to get you happy for a sequel to a movie that was ok.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

This movie looks dumb, and the trailer looks to be some kinda of Harrison ford reveal to get you happy for a sequel to a movie that was ok.

I mean if you think Blade Runner is just "ok" you're probably not really in the target audience

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blade Runner is one of my top 3 favorite sci-fi movies ever and at least right now I am aggressively opposed to this films existence. Maybe I will warm up to it in time, that is happening with Ghost in the Shell.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What about the new Ghost makes you want to see it? It's.....bland.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Blade Runner is one of my top 3 favorite sci-fi movies ever and at least right now I am aggressively opposed to this films existence. Maybe I will warm up to it in time, that is happening with Ghost in the Shell.

Villenueve though. He hasn't made a bad movie yet, or even a bland forgettable one.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I said come in! posted:

Why are you opposed to this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shageletic posted:

What about the new Ghost makes you want to see it? It's.....bland.

Nostalgia, not gonna lie. Lots of scenes from the animated film are in this movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm more surprised about someone warming up to Ghost in the Shell. :haw:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Yea, even if I had no idea about the original film, I'd be hyped just for more Villenueve +Deakins.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Nostalgia, not gonna lie. Lots of scenes from the animated film are in this movie.

But they've made the scenes they've copied so much more boring. That fight in the ankle deep water just seemed so blase compared to the three shot BOOM of the last kick in the anime.

I'm hoping for the best, but they even seemed to have stuck in a lovely "protaganist trying to learn the truth about themselves" arc in there.

At least the fan edit of the trailer put the original music in there, made it marginally better. I'm pretty much the opposite for how I feel for Ghost v. 2049. It'll be fun to see if my expectations end up getting upended.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I think there's honestly more reason to think/hope that this movie will be good than GITS. Granted I'm not into anime and didn't feel like my childhood was being ruined by turning GITS into a movie like a lot of people did, but the pedigree of filmmakers involved with 2049 is really excellent, whereas GITS looks like it's really trying to faithfully translate some of the visual ideas from the anime, but may or may not get anything else right.

If anything, it's not that it looks like this movie will be bad, but rather that it has to follow (and therefore be compared directly against) one of the most influential sci-fi films of all time.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I'm kinda disappointed by the costuming so far... c'mon, t-shirts?

I know it's been 30 years and fashion changes, but one of the best thing about the original was all the bizarre fashion. Seriously, Deckard was like a goddamned Dr. Who:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 22, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sorry, everything is boring now, movies are boring, we can't scare our dumb idiot viewers with something they aren't expecting.

edit: it'll probably be fine in the movie but what was the last film we got with really wacky fashion? I miss that.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 22, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Then again, there's never been a good EW photo spread

Genisys.img for example

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

EW photos suck horribly even in the teaser Gosling is wearing a coat that fits right in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sorry, everything is boring now, movies are boring, we can't scare our dumb idiot viewers with something they aren't expecting.

edit: it'll probably be fine in the movie but what was the last film we got with really wacky fashion? I miss that.

The Hunger Games

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Blade Runner is my all-time favorite film, and there's really no way that this movie can retroactively gently caress up how I feel about it/what it means to me, so I'm cautiously optimistic on account of Villeneuve + Deakins and also Gosling's involvement. I'm disappointed that Jared Leto is in it, though. Can't stand that dude.

OregonDonor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 23, 2016

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Xaris posted:

The other cuts are also good too though the unicorn poo poo was kinda lame imo.

Ah, but the symbolism is so good!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Villenueve though. He hasn't made a bad movie yet, or even a bland forgettable one.

I saw Arrival opening weekend and really enjoyed that film.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I'm usually not fond of these films as they tend to by bloated fan service with zero intention to challenge but if they manage to give somethin different to Blade Runner but with a small sense of continuity I'm in.

I said come in! posted:

I saw Arrival opening weekend and really enjoyed that film.

I really liked it but I it felt like one of those old 90's outher limits episode stretched over 90 minutes.It says a lot about Villenueve that he was capable of getting a solid 7-8 out of such flimsy premise.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 23, 2016

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Will we get the autistic,brooding Gosling from Drive or the chatty charming Gosling from all the date movies he's done?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I look forward to this sequel of white-people-in-not-Japan

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Pycckuu posted:

Will we get the autistic,brooding Gosling from Drive or the chatty charming Gosling from all the date movies he's done?

The former.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I liked Jupiter Rising

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pycckuu posted:

Will we get the autistic,brooding Gosling from Drive

Reeeeal human beeeeean...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm hoping for relentless fuckup manchild gosling from The Place Beyond the Pines personally.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DeimosRising posted:

I'm hoping for relentless fuckup manchild gosling from The Place Beyond the Pines personally.

I'm hoping for "jock older brother" Gosling from the Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode, "The Tale of Station 109.1"

(I'm sure he'll do fine. After Arrival, I trust the poo poo out of this director.)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Literally March from Nice Guys

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I feel like the Gosling from Lars and the Real Girl would be the correct choice for a movie about fake humans.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xealot posted:

I'm hoping for "jock older brother" Gosling from the Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode, "The Tale of Station 109.1"

(I'm sure he'll do fine. After Arrival, I trust the poo poo out of this director.)
Hah, we were actually doing an Are You Afraid of the Dark marathon a few months ago since my gf never saw half of them growing up and I haven't seen it in over two decades. And we got to that episode and we were like, wait holy poo poo is that gosling? He looks almost exactly the same, just taller/bigger. It was fun seeing other random people like Jewel Staite and going wait gently caress is that her/him??

loving fantastic episode though, probably a top 5.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 25, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Relatedly, I remember loving the Blade Runner PC game when I was younger but I haven't been able to source all of the poems Clovis quotes. I know he uses Blake's 'The Poison Tree' and 'To Tirzah' but I can't find the poem with the line like 'And I will stalk that shadowed valley with silent melancholy'. Does any one know that poem?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ironically you're misremembering William Blake's "Memory, hither come":

Bill B posted:

MEMORY, hither come
And tune your merry notes;
And while upon the wind
Your music floats,
I ’ll pore upon the stream
Where sighing lovers dream,
And fish for fancies as they pass
Within the watery glass.

I ’ll drink of the clear stream,
And hear the linnet’s song,
And there I ’ll lie and dream
The day along;
And when night comes I ’ll go
To places fit for woe,
Walking along the darkened valley,
With silent Melancholy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

OregonDonor posted:

I'm disappointed that Jared Leto is in it, though. Can't stand that dude.
I mixed him up with Jake Gyllenhaal at first and got really excited, but I don't think I have anything against Leto as an actor.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Shageletic posted:

...LAPD Officer K unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos.

After the events of the last 10 years Hollywood should really retire the trope of a "world-shattering" secret.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

caligulamprey posted:

I loved the score to Sicario (I haven't seen Arrival yet but goddamn it, It'll probably be what I do on Christmas), but maaaaaaaaan I figured it might not be Vangelis so I had my fingers crossed Cliff Martinez instead of Johannsson.

I'm the exact opposite. Martinez does nothing for me. I'm so glad we're getting Johannsson as I prefer him much more and I think his style fits Blade runner better anyway.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think the Final Cut makes it hard to argue Deckard isn't a replicant, rather it makes it hard to argue what he is one way or the other which I think is more effective.

I mean, I can't think of anything that refutes the whole unicorn dream/unicorn origami thing that was added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

blackguy32 posted:

I mean, I can't think of anything that refutes the whole unicorn dream/unicorn origami thing that was added.

For me, it's the very fact that it was added. It was basically Ridley Scott going "I wrote Deckard as a replicant, in my vision he is a replicant, nobody should ever mistake him for anything but a replicant" and taking his ball and running home. I think the movie is better when the seed of doubt is planted in the viewer's mind as to whether he's a replicant or not, but with no direct evidence either way.

I think the film reads better if Deckard is human though. A man is sent after superior beings to be repeatedly broken and battered by them, his life put on the line in servitude for a bureau that doesn't care about him. Yeah, the replicants have a limited lifespan but at least they've "seen things you people wouldn't believe", and human beings are just as much worker drones as the replicants are in the society of Blade Runner. Plus, why would a replicant with the limitations and emotional responses of a regular human be sent after emotionless killing machines? Why wouldn't they make a Deckard who was as fast and strong as Roy Batty? Deckard doesn't even "beat" Roy in the end, Roy Batty just lays down and dies on his own terms because he's too strong, too intelligent and too quick for Deckard.

• Locked thread