Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
more unicorns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When all seems lost and Jared Leto is about to do whatever Deckard gasps "Unicorn power!" with his last breath and a bunch of unicorns trample the bad guys like in that Perry Bible Fellowship comic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was just thinking of how awful all of the fan-made blu-ray covers for this are going to be, I mean it's Blade Runner AND Ryan Gosling.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Neo Rasa posted:

When all seems lost and Jared Leto is about to do whatever Deckard gasps "Unicorn power!" with his last breath and a bunch of unicorns trample the bad guys like in that Perry Bible Fellowship comic.

Now this is a box office smash.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope they have a ton of individual bits of definitive things that point to both Deckard being a replicant and being human and an equal amount of each.

This is the correct path.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Someone reedited the trailer to not be as bad https://youtu.be/F2-735VnH_Y

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone else bothered that "built off" is now deep enough in the vernacular that it shows up in major media? It's built ON, you build ON things.

I think the movie looks really good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

atrus50 posted:

Surprisingly that is way better. Fan edits are almost never something I like.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"built off" is not strictly synonymous with "built on" in the way people use it. Also, language is allowed to change and as long as you understand what they meant, it's the essence of the meaning of pedantry to get mad about it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

atrus50 posted:

I feel it lacks a punch, but it certainly feels far more Blade Runner than the official trailer does.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Meh. The first chunk of the official trailer is flawless until it brings us to Harrison Ford. I wouldn't mess with any of that earlier part.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm still hoping his simple costuming is an indication that he's only going to actually be in the movie for like ten minutes. Like he has information/whatever that sets the plot in motion but it's not really about him beyond that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

This will either be Mad Max: Fury Road levels of good or disappointing poo poo. Nothing in between.

I will say something felt off from the trailer to me.

It's background, background, background, pretty shot, background. Non-stop "See! We get Blade Runner! We also did the big hologram thing from Ghost in the Shell! See!" but it's all background direction. Meanwhile nothing in the foreground is happening of much interest.

RLM kinda nailed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOLKwSsFik

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's cool that RLM saves people the trouble of having to come up with their own opinions.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

It's cool that RLM saves people the trouble of having to come up with their own opinions.

I think a lot of people were already thinking that long before that skit was made. Did you even watch the video? It's not an opinion piece as much as it is making fun of what the trailer seemed to suggest was the blandest hero of them all.

Harrison Ford looks fifty times more engaged than the main character so far, which is impressive given how much he's been sleep walking through movies lately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrison Ford's period of sleepwalking through movies is pretty close now to matching his period of actual acting.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

atrus50 posted:

Yeah that's way better.

I really hope this movie is interesting and not just pretty looking action.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

exquisite tea posted:

Harrison Ford's period of sleepwalking through movies is pretty close now to matching his period of actual acting.

He's been phoning it in for so long now that I'm not even disappointed any more. I find it amusing that the legendary Harrison Ford is out-acted these days by Arnold Schwarzenegger of all people. Dude went for it in Annie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The great thing though is that Ford sleepwalking in Blade Runner is exactly what his character is supposed to be doing anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

The great thing though is that Ford sleepwalking in Blade Runner is exactly what his character is supposed to be doing anyway.

It's very obvious that's what Gosling is trying to do. I mean, he's suited for it, which I'm sure played a part in his casting, but still its totally appropriate for the part.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The_Rob posted:

Yeah, I'm just worried they're going to give him the Han Solo treatment instead of the rightful Actually Deckard Kind of Sucks one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, I'm just worried they're going to give him the Han Solo treatment instead of the rightful Actually Deckard Kind of Sucks one.

I was actually impressed that they made Han Solo a lovely person in Force Awakens. He's a professional smuggler of illegal poo poo and a total failure as a father and is shown to literally only be in his element when he has an opportunity to sneak into something (the Starkiller base). They make a point to say that rescuing Rey/etc. instances of doing the right thing was Finn's idea.

EU Han Solo sucks because he's this warm guy with a heart of gold that has fallen into bad times now and then, I was glad that with Force Awakens they kept him as he is in the OT, a lovely person who was able to rise to the occasion for his friends.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 12, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah the EU (sorry) really made another one of their missteps by making him a General hero or some such poo poo. He's a not a nice guy.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
He was good - all those replicants ended up dead, right? :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think that while TFA shows that Han definitely plays dirty, he is cast in a pretty heroic light overall and is given one of the most dramatic sendoffs in the entire series. Deckard by comparison is not even a very likeable dude, and by the end of the movie, it's Roy Batty whom we end up sympathizing with the most.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I think that while TFA shows that Han definitely plays dirty, he is cast in a pretty heroic light overall and is given one of the most dramatic sendoffs in the entire series. Deckard by comparison is not even a very likeable dude, and by the end of the movie, it's Roy Batty whom we end up sympathizing with the most.

Deckard had obviously changed a lot of his views on his job and what it meant by the end of the movie though, so I don't think its off-base to think he'd be a little more human or even heroic in a sequel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Deckard is certainly changed by the end of the film, but thinking about how that would alter his character for a sequel just reminds me of all the reasons why I don't think this movie should have been made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Deckard is certainly changed by the end of the film, but thinking about how that would alter his character for a sequel just reminds me of all the reasons why I don't think this movie should have been made.

I definitely get where you're coming from on that, but I can see a sliver of a possibility of it working out ok. I kinda like the idea of the changed Deckard having to be the one to teach someone who is just like his old self to appreciate that the replicants aren't just tools that can be simply deemed a "help" or "hazard". Done well I think it could be good, and with one of my favorite working directors on the project, I can't help but keep my hopes up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah Deckard begins as a disaffected gun for hire and ends the movie by smuggling a replicant to who knows where, he's definitely changed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's background, background, background, pretty shot, background. Non-stop "See! We get Blade Runner! We also did the big hologram thing from Ghost in the Shell! See!" but it's all background direction. Meanwhile nothing in the foreground is happening of much interest.

So like Blade Runner?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I stopped following the Trailer thread because the response to every trailer was, "What a garbage trailer."

I think the trailer highlights the Gosling / Ford meeting too much as a dramatic moment, where not much is actually happening. It's a sequel, and Harrison Ford is a popular actor from the past, so it's given undue weight.

People have complained the environment looks too "clean". What I think they miss is that the frame isn't as cluttered with details, and the aesthetic doesn't seem to have the same "retrofitting" emphasis as it did in the first. But, it still looks good to me.

What bugs me is, why is everyone white? Though, that was true of all the main characters in the first movie, except Gaff - only bit characters were non-white.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wizchine posted:

What bugs me is, why is everyone white? Though, that was true of all the main characters in the first movie, except Gaff - only bit characters were non-white.

Well, Gaff is in this one, Ana de Armas is Cuban, Barkhad Abdi is ... Somali, I think, and Lennie James is said to have a decent role...

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

In the BR thread a few years ago someone pointed out that Deckard is crying when the camera cuts to his face during Ray Batty's death scene--he blinks and you can see a tear fall from his eye. I had never noticed this in 8+ watches of the film, which also touches on your final point.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think a lot of people were already thinking that long before that skit was made. Did you even watch the video? It's not an opinion piece as much as it is making fun of what the trailer seemed to suggest was the blandest hero of them all.

Harrison Ford looks fifty times more engaged than the main character so far, which is impressive given how much he's been sleep walking through movies lately.

Has it crossed your mind that that might be the point? You know, like Deckard sleepwalking in the original until he is "awakened" at the end? Idiot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

OregonDonor posted:

In the BR thread a few years ago someone pointed out that Deckard is crying when the camera cuts to his face during Ray Batty's death scene--he blinks and you can see a tear fall from his eye. I had never noticed this in 8+ watches of the film, which also touches on your final point.

Oh wow, I never noticed that with all the rain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's a moment that was lost in time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Like tears...

In rain...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Time to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pBOInBf1KY

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Timby posted:

Well, Gaff is in this one, Ana de Armas is Cuban, Barkhad Abdi is ... Somali, I think, and Lennie James is said to have a decent role...

Yeah but with the heavy Asian influences of the original film you'd think that's something they could have expanded on too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

With Blade Runner's aesthetic's roots coming from 70s and early early 80s French comics I'm not surprised to see the sequel potentially still using "Oriental stuff" as a signifier for being in an exotic world beleaguered white people must put up with.

• Locked thread