Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

caligulamprey posted:

I loved the score to Sicario (I haven't seen Arrival yet but goddamn it, It'll probably be what I do on Christmas), but maaaaaaaaan I figured it might not be Vangelis so I had my fingers crossed Cliff Martinez instead of Johannsson.

I'm the exact opposite. Martinez does nothing for me. I'm so glad we're getting Johannsson as I prefer him much more and I think his style fits Blade runner better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey, the Robocop remake was a good film about drone warfare, and somehow made its statement better far better than a film whose plot centres on drone warfare.

I'd say it was a mediocre movie with maybe two good scenes about drone warfare, and a lot of scenes with pointless exposition.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Leto is good in Lord of War too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Man I really don't know what to think of this. There is some fantastic cinematography going on but it looks like there are way too many action scenes going on. Now granted that can be spiced up because it's a trailer, but the whole reason to watch Blade Runner is for an atmospheric dream world. I'm still pretty skeptical, but I like the director and Ridley Scott as a producer is nice. I also like that johan johansson is doing the music because that's exactly who I would have wanted to do it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Blue Star Error posted:

Looks alright but the sound design in that trailer is awful. Should have got Vangelis back I don't care if he's dead or old so is Harrison Ford and the dug him up.

I thought the music was fantastic at the beginning but again that second half of the trailer just turned into such standard nonsense.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Snowman_McK posted:

See, this is the problem with making a sequel/reimagining to a really beloved movie. On the one hand, you can just slavishly try to recreate the original, and be dismissed as revering the matrial too much. On the other, you can try to do your own thing and have people complain that it's not exactly like the old thing.

I don't need it to have dirty, Ridley Scott style photography or Tyrell being cold because the original, nearly forty years ago, had that. I want Villeneuve's take. Not his Ridley Scott imitation.

But that's the issue, is it really his take? The first shot is a giant Atari logo, when is he last time they have actually been relevant. that's weird as poo poo to me. It'd be more refreshing if the premise was just New Deckard and old Deckard sit in a barren wasteland and have a two hour conversation. I'm not writing this movie off but it just still seems like fanboys are behind it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Snowman_McK posted:

I have no idea how you've connected the deliberately anachronistic Atari logo with it being a fanboy movie.

The Atari logo is in the original kind of hidden away as a cute little Easter egg in 1982 when they are actually relevant to the world. This new trailer opens with an Atari logo that takes up 95 percent of the screen in 2017.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The great thing though is that Ford sleepwalking in Blade Runner is exactly what his character is supposed to be doing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LesterGroans posted:

Scott's always been hit-and-miss, it's nothing new. Obviously he's never gonna touch his run of The Duellists-Alien-Blade Runner, but Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, Prometheus, The Martian and Alien: Covenant are all great, and I'd even go to bat for the interesting oddities that are Hannibal, Exodus and The Counselor.

I think the counselor is extremely underrated and is legit a great movie.

• Locked thread