Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hope characters alternately refer to Officer K and Deckard as replicants and humans even in the same scene and no one in the movie notices this or cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'll even say that I love Hannibal. It's ridiculous in great ways and looks beautiful from start to finish. The dinner scene is incredible too, some people feel like the effect of that specific part of the scene doesn't hold up but the entire build up and everyone's performance (and Liotta's comedic timing) around it is amazing. The movie has a great sense of humor about it in general that I think was a smart direction to take the book's material in since, kind of like with the Xenomorph, I mean Hannibal Lector was played out super fast and "serial killer but supernaturally intelligent/sophisticated in some way instead of just being an rear end in a top hat drifter" was definitely the "monster" of the 90s. Hannibal is a great movie to close out that era.

Like with the Alien series I think it's really cool that we got three great movies (Manhunter, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal) that cover a lot of similar material in the same series with completely different directors and focuses. Shame about Hannibal Rising though. :P I've actually never seen the Red Dragon re-adaptation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Hannibal loving owned.

Also, Gary Oldman on screen was genuinely hard to stomach. His phone conversation with Ray Liotta was fantastic.

Same. I read Oldman was very dedicated having his makeup be super researched and realistic, like they looked at a lot of recovering people who got completely messed up and made it as close as possible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm so loving hyped for this movie.

Future John Wick sounds amazing. Blade Runner is my favorite movie ever beyond any other, so this being a different type of story that could complement it instead of just rehashing stuff would be an ideal thing for me. I don't even mind it having multiple scenes that are during the daytime / not happening during a rainstorm. If they just tried to ape the original, the absolute best case scenario for it would be that it's just a movie that's not as good as Blade Runner, but nothing would be so I'm glad they're clearly trying to have something that's visually in the same world but from a different direction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zeris posted:

NOBODY CAN DEFEAT MY ARMY OF HUMAN-REPLICANT HYBRIDS

If only Gary Shandling was still alive to play Deckard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hype levels at maximum.

I hope this isn't like Covenant (which I liked a lot actually) though where there's a few short promotional things like this, some of which were good enough or added enough character that they would and should have just been in the final movie. Seems like kind of a waste.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Huzanko posted:

Judging by this short the plot seems fairly cliche and obvious. Unfortunate.

We learn that Leto is a replicant and all of his servants are human beings.

Just before Gosling dies at the end he utters "Deckard...[indistinguishable]...all along...see you in twenty-five years..." smash cut to a "BLADE RUNNER" title card, roll credits.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 30, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Please don't remind me that those novels exist. I read all three. :( Somehow the extreme 90s attitude era Westwood video game is way better in all ways. That game owns. I hope with this movie coming out it gets another reprint, it got released again when IIRC the director's cut DVD was reprinted.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hyphz posted:

Does it run on modern PCs? I remember it had some heavy technical trickery. I didn't realise until later that its plot is more or less the Inspector Garland bit of Do Androids Dream.

It's unfortunately kind of random if it works or not. :( Though IIRC the DVD version should be pretty cheap and was released in the early 00s so it may be easier to get running.

I feel like it did a good job combining film and novel stuff together unlike the sequel novels. It's one flaw to me is that it's very very obvious which interiors were made in 1982 and which ones were made by game developers in the late 90s and that clashes sometimes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Torquemada posted:

I'd love this movie to be good, but that poster reset me from 'cautious optimism' to 'disappointment likely'. It's my favourite film, and nothing but the best will do for a sequel, otherwise why bother? An orange and teal poster, for the sequel to a film people are still mining for visual ideas today is hella weak.

True it's disgusting anyone would think to put any blues with oranges/golds on a Blade Runner poster. Can't even imagine where an idea like that would come from.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

it's kind of a total fluke that a movie like the original Blade Runner ever got made in the first place

Still mind blowing that one of the best Shaw Bros. films is Blade Runner.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It's just a neat concept, and it's pretty cool to watch. It's like seeing a copy of Blade Runner that fell through a wormhole from another dimension.

Speaking of which, if you have access to the Final Cut's special features, it has all of the deleted scenes in chronological order so you can see this very bizarre 45 minute alpha version of Blade Runner. After seeing that I totally get the appeal of someone taking all the footage and trying to put together a cut that's just different.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IT's soundtrack is REALLY good, but drat isn't the movie out in a few weeks? Hopefully it's not badly edited rushed poo poo like when they brought on James Horner last second for Troy.

Also awesome because now the new Blade Runner isn't even out yet and we already have potential multiple cuts once whatever work he had completed leaks/he puts it on his site.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Harrison Ford was awesome in VII and will be good in this too. Make the same tragic mistakes I did of watching Ender's Game or Cowboys and Aliens if you want to see Harrison Ford not giving a gently caress instead of playing a character that doesn't give a gently caress.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Han Solo being a piece of poo poo, but a piece of poo poo who rises to the occasion because he loves the adoration that comes with heroism is OT as gently caress. Remember it's not until after he's captured and tortured by Vader (and then rescued) that he's all in and in those few years between ESB to Jedi is when he goes from piece of poo poo to gently caress yeah I'm a general and I'm taking this party to the loving moon of Endor. Then as we learn from TFA the minute there wasn't a glaringly black and white obvious big bad he went back to being a piece of poo poo. Ford was completely on point with how he played it in TFA. Of course the character's having fun, he's important again and basically has a fan club in Finn and Rey. And it's not like Ford was looking at the camera and winking during his brief scenes with Leia and Kylo Ren or anything.

TFA is uninteresting in some ways but I felt like keeping his character consistent was one of the best things in the movie. It would have been easy to make him like the EU version of the character where he's a great gallant wonderful teddy bear who just happened to fall on hard times once ever in his dealings with Jabba the Hutt, but they didn't and that's cool. I also liked how during his conversation with cast of The Raid on his freighter, it made me realized that, of course Jabba wants Han dead/out of action, because no one thinks he ACTUALLY had to dump his cargo to not get boarded, he just sold the poo poo to someone else and his cred was dead in that part of the galaxy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want to get this but god drat that's like triple the price of a bottle of Johnnie Walker and like, I mean like, I live in a major city but I can already get awesome alcohol in cool bottles because of that.

Edit: LMAO speaking of dropping some $$$ on Blade Runner drinking stuff -

https://www.firebox.com/Blade-Runner-Whiskey-Glasses/p4346?aff=512

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I noticed them listed for $90 on a different site but that's still, like, :laffo: When I first saw the price I thought they were the actual props or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The clips makes me wonder if my early prediction was right that Deckard's connection to the plot is that he was in some way an early version of whatever Jared Leto is now creating.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't he retired?

Nobody knows.

Wikipedia posted:

For an artist of his stature, very little is known about Vangelis' personal life and he rarely gives official interviews to journalists. However, in a 2005 interview with The Daily Telegraph, Vangelis talked openly about various parts of his life. He stated in the interview that he was "never interested" in the "decadent lifestyle" of his band days, choosing not to use alcohol or other drugs. At the time of the Telegraph interview, Vangelis was involved in his third long-term relationship. When asked why he had not had children, Vangelis replied:

…Because of the amount of travelling I do and the nonsense of the music business, I couldn't take care of a child in the way I think it should be taken care of.

It is not publicly known where Vangelis generally resides; he has stated that he "travels around", rather than settling down in one specific place or country for long periods of time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Vangelis owns. Unrelated: are they essentially waiting to see how this movie does before they officially let Denis Do a ReDune

Speaking of Dune, I hope if he gets it they really go nuts with the costumes and stuff in a good way and not in a Sci-Fi Channel Presents Frank Herbert's Dune kind of way.

I know it won't happen but it would be amazing if they just said gently caress it to even adapting the book and rolled with Jodorowsky's version. He mentioned in the documentary that while he personally is done with it he'd be thrilled if someone else wanted to direct his script/make that particular take on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

He's Craig's choice, and Craig now has a considerable amount of influence since they basically had to give him the world in order to get him to sign for one more movie. But Villeneuve keeps saying that he wants to take a break and avoid a burnout, because he's basically gone from Enemy to Sicario to Arrival to Blade Runner without any rest in-between.

I don't know what EON's timetable is or whatever but it would be really smart if they let Villeneuve take that break and then do it.

:laffo: They should get Pierce Brosnan back for a remake of Never Say Never Again and actually have Craig cameo at the end like they Connery and Moore originally wanted to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Looking forward to Netflix Presents James Bond.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Replicants are killed in mob violence by human supremacists.

Also, a single Replicant murders a platoon of armored and armed security guards barehanded.

:thunk:

Like, seriously, something doesn't add up here.

It absolutely does add up. We see a similar disparity in physical prowess and strength between the replicants in the original because they're all grown with different capacities for power, intelligence, etc. depending on their purpose and intended specialization. During the breifing scene in the original the ones introduced to us even have serial numbers and designations on screen that are consistent with that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That would match with the conversation Batty and Tyrell have. The technobabble is actually fairly accurate for what they're talking about. The replicants are precisely engineered robots but are "grown" rather than "built." Scott says as much on various commentary tracks.

When they talk about extending their lives the conversation is about preventing the degeneritive ecfects of their cells dying off suddenly (compared to a human) and how this group of Nexus 6es are so delicately designed that even a small modification might extend life for a bit but result in weird degenerative side effects that would be as bad/worse than just coming to a full stop. There's no memory transfer or anything like that, each one is a unique being, which is kind of the point of the story.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 28, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

DADES and the original Fancher script stated them as "androids". Both "replicants" and that whole Tyrell-Batty dialogue came from David Webb Peoples and his daughter, who was a UCLA biochemistry undergrad. I believe replicant came from her discussing cell division and referring to the result of the process as replicant.

Yeah but nothing about the terms "android," "robot," etc. strictly means "built with copper wiring and circuit boards." The book itself goes with that too. The only 100% way to know if someone is an android in the book is to take a sample of their bone marrow and have a test run on it in a lab.

There's a huge gap between memory implants and what some people in the thread are suggesting that one's entire collective thought can be copy/pasted 1:1 into a new body just vecause that would change the instant the new person starts perceiving anything. I'd say that Rachel's situation is pretty different from that. I got the impression that a lot of impactful things from early childhood were placed in her and the rest was her mind filling in the gaps based on that (just since the replicants in the movie enter the world as adults).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wouldn't because I prefer it to be vague forcing us to ask if androids dream of...

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 29, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

has anyone ever done one of those look-inside a Blade Runner's android parts ala those "light saber cross section" books? I know they dont really show in the movie and the Aliens movies did it by splitting them open every which way

They're 1:1 human except for very specific cases like specialized ones designed for deep space combat/etc. In the case of what's in the film, Roy especially was built to kickass. But each of the fugitives, in developing their own emotional responses, acts in the exact opposite way of the thing they were created for. Leon was meant to be a dopey munitions loading guy but he suddenly has an interest in photography, Pris is a "standard pleasure model" servant type of person but becomes manipulative, and Zhora is a combat model but just wants to avoid folks and flees from conflict. Roy is the badass* deep space combat expert seen things you people wouldn't believe ultimate warrior but instead of using that knowledge to kill, he uses his skills to try to look out for his companions, and spends his final moments forgiving the person sent to kill them and completely changing Deckard's outlook.

So I always had the impression that while there are clearly enhanced way beyond even a powerful human replicants made for those specific types of military service, brutal mining work (the original reason replicants were created at all), etc., it would figure there would also be waaaay more that, in just acting "normal" and doing their job regularly wouldn't stand out from a naturally born human at all without the test. We're not seeing typical replicants in Blade Runner but rather ones that are both absolute top of the line and treated as "crazy" and very dangerous by human standards on top of that because they want to be alive.

*It's not mentioned in the movie, but an interesting detail Scott mentions on the commentaries is that the "tattoos" on Roy's chest are the interface points into which powered armor for combat in space would be plugged into his organs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

FWIH, it was a battle plan, star map, or something so Roy could have a reference point by looking down.

He also has this "penguin sparrow" tat on his shoulder.

Oh man now I wish we could have seen the battle of Tannhauser Gate.

ROY!!! WE'RE OFF COURSE, OOHHH SHIII-

i got u fam *rips off shirt, spends several minutes contorting to stare at own chest and the nearest star simultaneously to get bearing*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

david_a posted:

This Soldier trailer is supposed to depict the battle of Tannhauser Gate.

I was so hyped for that movie. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is this going to be like Prometheus or Force Awakens where people are so naive they think this film is actually going to be as good and inspirational as the original Alien or A New Hope and think it's the worst film ever when it's inevitably not? Like I'm super excited about this movie but even if it were directed by a peak 100% A game Ridley Scott with all the same creative folks involved from Blade Runner it would be a very different and not as good movie as lightning in a bottle flicks like those. Fury Road was an exception to this and not the norm.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always felt the same way, it helps the movie that the replicants are all passionate and desperate in some way while all of the humans are terse assholes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It works either way anyway, if he's human then yeah he's a typical lovely human, if he's a replicant, then just by existing in an environment where he interacts with folks like Bryant makes him a lovely human.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Ridley Scott should of made a Foundation movie instead of Blade Runner.

Kind want to visit the timeline where he got to do his NC-17 for mega graphic violence Blood Meridian movie 2010-ish.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LMAO I'm sure she understood it just fine that doesn't mean she can't dislike it.

Finally saw this, loved it personally.

The best thing about this is that Deckard could stil be human or a replicant. :laffo: Well done Villeneuve.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Its been awhile since I read the book but what I recall is while not a scam living off world is just a different kind of lovely. Space is not easy to colonize and is boring and the robot slaves do everything.

This is true, though earth is much more depopulated in the book, and it implies that basically anyone not wealthy enough to travel to space regularly or get a job colonizing offworld is a loser is some way.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 8, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

Yes, the trail to K being the baby is obvious and leads the viewer away from the twist. This is the point. Rachel's baby has been hidden and the tracks covered. K is only able to get as far as he did because of the horse memory, without which he wouldn't have found the ossuary. That memory has probably been implanted into any number of replicants - it's hinted that Mariette has it - and any male ones who got that far in the search would naturally presume that they were the child. When you look for something that is hidden, you don't keep looking after you find it.

It's also great because for all of the film's philosophical aspirations, it still follows a class noir structure on the surface - K's life is a fake joke, after he meets Luv he think he's ahead of the game and an important only man who can pull this off person, but Luv is bad and trailing him the whole time in hopes of snatching the prize from him instead of hunting it down herself like she was ordered to, etc. This movie owns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Serf posted:

Is having a physical body the prime determinant of being a person? What about people who have different kinds of bodies? How far from the human baseline can you stray before you no longer have personhood? Replicant bodies presumably have different physical structures internally, since they have enhanced physical strength, does that prevent them from being a person?

Agreed and I'm surprised more people in this thread didn't catch onto how Joi is a soul without a body compared to how K implies to his boss that he's not real because he's a constructed body without a soul. Both become real people not because of how they entered the world but because of their continued interactions with other beings.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm like an hour and a half into re-watching the original for the first time in a couple years (to prepare for seeing 2049 in theaters again), and I feel pretty confident in saying that 2049 is the better movie.

Like yeah, parts of this movie are totally stunning for when it was released, but a lot of it just isn't all that interesting to watch nowadays. I feel like 2049 is one of those movies that could transcend age. Watch 2049 35 years from now and it'll probably still be more exciting to behold than the original is 35 years after it came out.

Something interesting about this is that a lot of the stuff in this movie like the massive wall at the edge of the city, the vast synthetic farms, etc. are mentioned in the book and were actually planned and storyboarded for the original. Even the opening scene where he comes in and sees the soup is on and they talk/struggle a bit after realizing the blade runner is already in the house was the original intended opening for the first movie. It makes me wonder if they went with showing stuff like that in the original where this one would have gone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

fspades posted:

I think questions of self-consciousness in these discussions is a red herring. The constructs in these movies clearly has that but they also demonstrate that being a person involves having (or desire to have) relationships. The friendship of the replicant gang in the original, Rachael's affair with Deckard and K's search for a family all leads them to break their programming and act at their most human. Replicants start to liberate themselves when they form bonds with each other. The problem with Joi is that she can only have one relationship; her personhood is only allowed to go as far as the desires and well-being of that person. But that's not an all or nothing deal. She clearly breaks her programming when she orders K to break the antenna but it's still done for the sake of him. She has very limited agency that is constrained by the nature of the technology but it's still some agency nonetheless.

What's really awesome about this is that when K sees the large advertisement towards the end, that is this movie's origami unicorn -
it doesn't matter how Joi came about or how she started because what she becomes is the same as what we all become, a personality molded by everyone we interact with.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The world of 2049 felt way more lived-in to me than the world of the original. Like the original does a pretty decent job of setting up the concept, I suppose, but 2049 does a much better job of delivering on the potential of what the original could have been.

I will say this, I'd watch another movie in this setting after seeing this one. Blade Runner is my favorite movie of all time but I love it as a singular story. This one really does an incredible job keeping a small, intimate cast of characters while really fleshing out the setting a lot. The original though, like the Bradbury building, Tyrell's office, the footchase/Zhora's death, it has a lot of GOAT dystopian sci-fi visuals that will make it always stick with me more than any other movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tunicate posted:

so... replicants can gently caress, but the kids are defective and can't survive outside a bubble seems a bit of a wishy-washy outcome.

I thought the syndrome was made up and a play on the technology term Galapagos syndrome (an isolated branch of a globally available product) so that anyone searching would assume she died and at most pursue the made up son.

pospysyl posted:

Wouldn't it be great to have a fully realized woman who was completely independent to make her own choices in life, but also believed that you (a specific male) are sexually attractive, super smart, exceptional above all other men, and completely perfect in all regards? And wouldn't it be great if she was designed such that she would never, ever leave you for someone else, or to just be on her own? The idea would simply never occur to her! That, to me, says agency.

More pointedly, Joi cannot exist without a male companion. To say that she "exists" without having the ability to not choose to be married to the person she was programmed to sexually and intellectually satisfy is either wrong or seriously hosed up. This is the toxicity of the Metropolis trope. It's strange that of all the things we consider human, consent is not among them, at least as far as women are concerned.

I took her last few scenes to mean that she developed actual feelings for him independently. You can look at it that way too though, when he sees the massive hologram ad it'd be easy to see that not as him missing the "real" Joi he had lived with but instead realizing how absurdly fake and unreal it was to think of him having an actual relationship with her beyond an AI waifu.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 8, 2017

• Locked thread