Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Misc posted:

The idea that Wallace would manufacture replicants for state use without some sort of backdoor aligns them more like an arms manufacturer than a culty silicon valley startup as many others in the thread have tried to parallel.

Conflating the two just makes it sound like 2049's writers had their finger on the pulse:

"Elon Musk sells out of his 20,000 flame-throwers in days despite questions over legality"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh yeah! Forgot that!

This bothered me because, knowing Wallace like we do, I assume those replicants in the tank are fully sentient and know they are just sitting there like goldfish all day, unable to move...
:psyduck:

I always assumed that there's a not massive number of folks used as templates for specific roles but that there's still a ton of variation overall since they're more grown than built. Bautista (a notably older replicant than most others in the film) in the tank, to me was another indication to me that everything about Wallace's company is a flashy but not particularly better rehash of stuff the Tyrell corporation already did.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 10, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sean10mm posted:

What everyone said about Blade Runner in the 80s.

Yup, for years the common review of that flick was that it had nothing going on in it besides looking pretty.

Now I wonder if twelve years later there will accidentally be a screening of a shorter version of it with some minor changes that radically alter the movie that people will think is way better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I don't understand the people complaining about the score. It was flawless, especially at the climax. Sometimes you just can't relate to people I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4q4VUfN-I

The score compliments the visuals so well I can't imagine anything else. The level of urban squalor and total destruction of the environment. I'm not sure how they emulated that car revving sound, but it's creepy as gently caress.

The score is fantastic and used to great effect throughout most of the movie. But (I haven't seen it in theaters so I forget the exact point) there's a part where the foghorn style thing plays, and the scene fades to a different scene and it's still repeating, and it cuts to a close up of Gosling's face and it's still repeating, and I remember it feeling very very very out of place with anything happening at that point in the movie. Everywhere else it was great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Caustic posted:

I love the whole Flight to LAPD through baseline test sequence. I wish that music track was longer on the soundtrack, it's one of my favorites to listen to (especially as I drive into the city).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpCgdtnMcfE

I really love how well this movie merges imagery and the world of the original book with how a lot of it is now real in parts of the world today.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Wallace's problem was mostly in the writing itself. It sounded like he was reading off of a different script.

Sounds perfectly cast for a young tech billionaire douchebag then. :D

I agree with Xealot though. Tyrell is an ambitious, cold, efficient industrialist. The Wallace character is the modern equivalent of that and having the role played by someone to play the same character's motives and actions, but with a warm and more marketable face kind of performance would probably be more realistic. Like there are people who are fanboys of Elon Musk/etc., Wallace never comes off as someone who would command that of respect.

It's fitting for the setting in a way and for a world set in the 2049 of the first Blade Runner movie rather than our world, but he does feel a bit underdeveloped. I know for nostalgia reasons they opened the movie up with a text crawl similar to the original but they should have put that brief promotional scene of him demoing his new replicants into the actual movie. It's tense and in its own way shows a constrained viciousness to the character* that would have made the rest of his scenes resonate more. I mean this is a guy who invented the capability for massive large scale automated farming to happen and be managed by minimal/no people and saved humanity from starvation. The guy's a legendary hero on paper. But he still feels he *HAS* to create an inexhaustible slave force of replicants to really make himself feel proud.

I think it's telling that the business folks he's demoing the replicant to are aghast the notion of him having the replicant kill themselves. It's a brief scene but you get this feel for the room for how there's human folks in positions of power that aren't down with replicants being treated like poo poo. And it's interesting because rather than being "more human than human" Wallace sells and gets the permits for/etc. the new replicants by showing their total and absolute devotion to their masters. Playing into how natural humanity's definition of a more advanced replicant is one that doesn't think as much. It also gives a little more context to what's mentioned in the blurb regarding replicants being banned or not/what models are legal or not and so on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 26, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I do too but gently caress him overall.

:same:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

He's never shown to command that kind of respect, though.

He commands such a massively insane amount of respect that he's able to send his prize replicant to literally just stroll into a police station and murder folks/etc. with zero repercussions to either him or even his replicant (and when you compare that to how replicants are treated in the film in general?). I mean corporations rule the world today and the earth in the movie is a broken place that people are leaving, but even without that in mind think about what a line that crosses.

Origami Dali posted:

I'd like to read Fancher's original draft.

If you check out the final cut special features, they story boarded parts of it. Most interesting is that much of the opening scene on the farm with K already being inside and then them talking about soup/etc. is taken almost directly from it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shaddak posted:

Well, poo poo. Now I'm imagining Jeffrey Combs as Weyoun as Wallace.

I was about to say, I immediately thought of Weyoun the similarity to Combs was mentioned too. I can't even imagine how good Combs as Wallace would have been. Still, Wallace is in the movie so little that even if Leto isn't amazing in it I don't think it really hurts the movie much. It felt sort of realistic in that way too though, there's no dramatic showdown or cathartic just desserts for the guy, and he's a powerful super genius but in ways that are completely disconnected from humanity - his endgame for making them a perfect slave force is simultaneously the thing that makes them 100% indistinguishable from born humanity instead of 99%.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i loved this movie and i'm glad the rumor i heard that scott made them say deckard was a replicant was untrue.

I was impressed they managed to make Deckard a relatively big part of the story while explicitly not confirming him being a human or replicant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

They are made to obey, there was a short thing showing this before the movie was released. How he did it is anyone's guess. I highly doubt alot of people saw this before seeing the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ

I feel like Covenant suffered a lot from this. I know those shorts were promo things that were never meant to be in the movie, but the passenger one and the last supper ones like, they just straight up should have been in the movie.

This too though, I know 2049 was long, but the Nexus Dawn short should have been in there too.

The animated one kind of just made me wish they'd do a whole movie about the build up to the blackout or/and one about its immediate aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've never watched those and never will cuz i hate poo poo outside of the movie itself but it seemed fine without them. movie was great.

I don't think Blade Runner was hurt by them not being in it, but I think Covenant would have been a 10X better movie if James Franco's only line before the opening we got was "I'm burning up"

• Locked thread