Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'm trying to figure out why I dislike Leto so much. I think it's because of his band, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I've read enough reviews of 2049 to know that the next one or two things I read will be spoilers. I mean, they have to be. I'm playing with fire here. I have tickets to see it on Thursday night, though!

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Regarding the feminist idea, I saw the film with my girlfriend, who hadn't seen the original and was a women's studies major. In short, I disagree. She had a few discomforts with the way women were portrayed here. The obvious stuff is around the barrage of sexualized advertisements, of course, but something that also struck me was every single female character in the movie was some form of a servant. The possible exception is Lt. Joshi, but even she is a public servant, being a police lieutenant. It's giving me a lot of thought, and I can't wait to see the film again on Sunday.

My thoughts on the movie itself: I loved it! I am actually very sad today because of it—Ryan Gosling displayed such a sweet, profound sadness in the last third of the movie that I was left paralyzed with emotion. This was a seriously brilliant role for him.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Agreed completely. And to add one more to that:

*The entire "resistance" quasi-storyline that came up for all of ten minutes was rather shameful. It reminded me of The Matrix in ways I don't want to entertain, but it also had such a small bearing on the story that I feel as though they could have fit something a lot better in there. The "chosen one's resistance" thing is just woefully overdone. If anyone feels differently, I really hope that someone can help me be okay with it being in there, because I'd love to not have that part of the movie stick out like such a sore thumb.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Cacator posted:

I completed part II of this mission today. I have never seen a movie two days in a row before. It's a work of art.
I'm about to join you on this endeavor.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

Haven't seen this posted in a bit, sorry if it has been: Here's a podcast where Rian Johnson interviews Denis Villeneuve. It's spoiler-heavy. https://soundcloud.com/thedirectorscut/episode-96-blade-runner-2049-with-denis-villeneuve-and-rian-johnson Listening through it now and it seems like mostly "how did you do this scene" and "what was it like doing x"
This was a great listen.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

It looks like the movie is coming out on digital on December 26th, but we’ll have to wait a few more weeks to get it on Blu-ray.

Seeing this movie inspired me to get a 4K HDR TV and a sweet sound setup, so with that in mind, any idea what constitutes a good digital release these days? iTunes is going to have it at 4K in Dolby Vision with all of its extras, so I’m looking to go down that road, but if anybody has other advice, I’m all in.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

It’s out digitally now. As much as I can’t stand watching movies on a tiny screen, this one looks loving gorgeous on the iPhone X’s HDR display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Don’t read too much into my post, guys. I never watch movies on my iPhone, but having Blade Runner 2049 at my fingertips was a great way to get some escapism during the Christmas holiday craziness. Movies on iPhone is never a good thing, but it was worth noting that this phone’s screen in particular makes the beauty of this movie stand out a bit.

• Locked thread