Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

exquisite tea posted:

I've been hating the idea of this movie being made for awhile but I'm willing to give it the slightest benefit of the doubt. You've got Villanueve directing and Deakins on cinematography, so at the very least this film is going to be beautiful just to look at. If there's a story to be gleaned from the trailer then I missed it entirely because it all seemed quite vague, more proof of concept than anything expository. I'm sincerely hoping they find something interesting to do with the concept. The look and feel is definitely there.

Well, the movie's theme is spelled out in the first part of the trailer in Jared Leto and Robin Wright's monologues. I think reading between the lines gives away what I anticipate is the central hook of the film: Tyrell corp has designed - or is attempting to design - replicants that can produce offspring - perhaps even by pairing with humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah he's a burned out retiree when Bryant "recruits" him. He's only on the job because that way the press/etc. won't know that they hosed up bad that several replicants were able to pull off escaping and reaching earth and that a couple of them are strong as gently caress military models.

And because he knows the score: if he's not one of them, he's little people.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Periodiko posted:

I thought the "every great civilization requires a disposable work force" and "the world is built on a wall that separates kind. Tell either side there's no wall, and you've bought a war" seemed to be really leaning in those directions. I kind of got the vibe that the movie is going to be the exploration of a super-stratified society, late capitalism transforming into a new slave society policed by brutal enforcers who don't regard their subjects as human. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your criticism.

Exactly.

Sure, one of the central themes of Blade Runner is the question "what makes us human?" But the social themes were present as well, and there's nothing to suggest the original question won't be asked again as part of this exploration. I assume it will be rephrased as "what makes a replicant different than a human, especially if this invisible "wall" is being used to justify the commodification and slavery of sentient beings indistinguishable from humans." And the Blade Runner questioning his role as tool of violent social suppression is nothing new either.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 10, 2017

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Snowman_McK posted:

Interesting that you correlate being good at being a cop with being heroic. I mean, that's the only way to read it as reverance.

"I was a cop, I was good at it" said in loaded way by an old man living in complete isolation.

Which is a whole lot less inherently praiseworthy than, say,

"I need the old blade runner, I need your magic."

and less enthusiastic than, say,

"You could learn from this guy, Gaff. He's a goddamned one-man slaughterhouse, that's what he is. Four more to go!"

Which obviously ignores the context of who says it and how Deckard reacts.

The original is built around the idea that Deckard's job is morally questionable at best, and also that Deckard is really loving good at it.

Yeah, and the job isn't any more glamorous this time around. "We keep order," says his boss. Cut to a bloodied Blade Runner examining his gun questioningly.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Meh. The first chunk of the official trailer is flawless until it brings us to Harrison Ford. I wouldn't mess with any of that earlier part.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
He was good - all those replicants ended up dead, right? :colbert:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I stopped following the Trailer thread because the response to every trailer was, "What a garbage trailer."

I think the trailer highlights the Gosling / Ford meeting too much as a dramatic moment, where not much is actually happening. It's a sequel, and Harrison Ford is a popular actor from the past, so it's given undue weight.

People have complained the environment looks too "clean". What I think they miss is that the frame isn't as cluttered with details, and the aesthetic doesn't seem to have the same "retrofitting" emphasis as it did in the first. But, it still looks good to me.

What bugs me is, why is everyone white? Though, that was true of all the main characters in the first movie, except Gaff - only bit characters were non-white.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Neo Rasa posted:

With Blade Runner's aesthetic's roots coming from 70s and early early 80s French comics I'm not surprised to see the sequel potentially still using "Oriental stuff" as a signifier for being in an exotic world beleaguered white people must put up with.

So if the film has a bunch of east asians, it's racist. On the other hand, if it has a paucity of east asians, it's racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Neo Rasa posted:

Of course, but growing up at the time this was always couched in terms of "those drat Japanese/Chinese (often used interchangeably) people took over," and I'm sure that's effected how I look at movies (even one like Blade Runner which is my favorite movie ever). It's hard for me to not get that vibe from almost anything made during what was the peak Japan bashing period of modern times.

I never got that vibe from Blade Runner though. My feeling is the popular media push-back came a little later. Gung Ho was released in 1986, Ridley Scott's own Black Rain is from 1989, and the penultimate was Rising Sun, published in 1992

Alternatively, maybe because I was raised in Torrance, with a sizable group of Japanese- and Korean-American friends, it never stuck out to me. :shrug:

• Locked thread