Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

King Vidiot posted:

For me, it's the very fact that it was added. It was basically Ridley Scott going "I wrote Deckard as a replicant, in my vision he is a replicant, nobody should ever mistake him for anything but a replicant" and taking his ball and running home. I think the movie is better when the seed of doubt is planted in the viewer's mind as to whether he's a replicant or not, but with no direct evidence either way.

I think the film reads better if Deckard is human though. A man is sent after superior beings to be repeatedly broken and battered by them, his life put on the line in servitude for a bureau that doesn't care about him. Yeah, the replicants have a limited lifespan but at least they've "seen things you people wouldn't believe", and human beings are just as much worker drones as the replicants are in the society of Blade Runner. Plus, why would a replicant with the limitations and emotional responses of a regular human be sent after emotionless killing machines? Why wouldn't they make a Deckard who was as fast and strong as Roy Batty? Deckard doesn't even "beat" Roy in the end, Roy Batty just lays down and dies on his own terms because he's too strong, too intelligent and too quick for Deckard.

I've actually always seen it the opposite way. If Gaff is more or less the "real" Blade Runner and Deckard is his tool, then it ties into the ubiquity of synthetic animals, fake memories and such where the human experience is slowly becoming obsolete. We've handed off all our existential crises and journeys of self-discovery to machines while we live lives of terminal mundanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Shageletic posted:

Eh wouldn't be too sure of that it doesn't go along with the story that Hampton and the rest of the writers said happened re 2049, but you never know.

This is insanity tho. He still manages good work, American Gangster was a pretty good crime movie and I've heard good things about Hostiles. He does so many movies some of them are gonna be great just by the law of numbers.

Ridley Scott didn't make Hostiles.

• Locked thread