Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Blade Runner is my all-time favorite film, and there's really no way that this movie can retroactively gently caress up how I feel about it/what it means to me, so I'm cautiously optimistic on account of Villeneuve + Deakins and also Gosling's involvement. I'm disappointed that Jared Leto is in it, though. Can't stand that dude.

OregonDonor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Xaris posted:

The other cuts are also good too though the unicorn poo poo was kinda lame imo.

Ah, but the symbolism is so good!

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I've actually always seen it the opposite way. If Gaff is more or less the "real" Blade Runner and Deckard is his tool, then it ties into the ubiquity of synthetic animals, fake memories and such where the human experience is slowly becoming obsolete. We've handed off all our existential crises and journeys of self-discovery to machines while we live lives of terminal mundanity.

I've always held this view as well and like to think that Deckard is part of a pilot program of introducing replicants into the police force (hence Gaff's supervision). It's another elegant example of reality being replaced by representations in the film which underscores BR as a postmodern critique of postmodernism/late capitalism. The extension of synthetic things further into the world of the film is a literal expression of the commodification of capital, and introducing replicants into the police force is a nice way of implying that the system is starting to consume itself.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Ruflux posted:

How does a sequel invalidate whatever feelings you have for the original, though

This exactly. You don't have to accept anything about the sequel if you don't want to. I still think 2049 is on the short list of Least Necessary Sequels Ever but if it has some things going for it then cool, if not then oh well, BR is still the unequivocal masterpiece that it is to me.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
What I love about the original BR is how every film element contributes to a layered postmodern critique of late capitalism and what is hinted at in the trailer seems to be an attempt at constructing a mythology or grand arc within the BR universe that doesn't jive with the thematic underpinnings of the original. With that said, I'm basing this off of 15 seconds of footage designed specifically for marketing, so I hope that I'm wrong, but I didn't like the gut feeling I got from the trailer.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Periodiko posted:

I thought the "every great civilization requires a disposable work force" and "the world is built on a wall that separates kind. Tell either side there's no wall, and you've bought a war" seemed to be really leaning in those directions. I kind of got the vibe that the movie is going to be the exploration of a super-stratified society, late capitalism transforming into a new slave society policed by brutal enforcers who don't regard their subjects as human. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your criticism.

Oh no, you're totally right, and it was more an observation on my part than criticism, I just hope that the film adheres to the original's ratio of plot versus production design in terms of advancing its themes.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Deckard is certainly changed by the end of the film, but thinking about how that would alter his character for a sequel just reminds me of all the reasons why I don't think this movie should have been made.

In the BR thread a few years ago someone pointed out that Deckard is crying when the camera cuts to his face during Ray Batty's death scene--he blinks and you can see a tear fall from his eye. I had never noticed this in 8+ watches of the film, which also touches on your final point.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I always liked the idea that Gaff was monitoring Deckard as part of some kind of pilot program of introducing replicants into the police force. I like the way that it underscores the postmodern dimensions of the film (representations replacing reality, total commodification as the logical endgame of late capitalism, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The answer of whether or not Deckard is a replicant in the original Blade Runner is not as interesting as the presence of the question. The message of the film is not "what does it mean to be human," it's "modern life has become so commodified and lonely that the real is indistinguishable from the artificial."

Exactly. Blade Runner is entirely a film about late capitalism.

• Locked thread