Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

OregonDonor posted:

I'm disappointed that Jared Leto is in it, though. Can't stand that dude.
I mixed him up with Jake Gyllenhaal at first and got really excited, but I don't think I have anything against Leto as an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I wasn't amazed by the writing in Sicario but the direction was great. I think that and Arrival are the only films of his I've seen, but that's enough for me to look forward to this movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GonSmithe posted:

Check out Enemy, definitely. My personal favorite of his.
I've been meaning to! Looks like my local library has it on Blu-Ray :discourse:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Dune, I hope if he gets it they really go nuts with the costumes and stuff in a good way and not in a Sci-Fi Channel Presents Frank Herbert's Dune kind of way.
One thing I remember liking about the series (which I don't think I've rewatched since it first aired) was how every group had their own weird accent. If people are really supposed to be from different planets they sure as hell won't all sound the same even if they're speaking the same language.

I don't know about using Jodorowsky's adaption directly but I would be happier with a more abstract take on the book. Hopefully they can really go to town with the production design of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Young Freud posted:

True, but even Pris was dangerous. Her background working in military clubs supposedly equaled to her having some sort of combat ability, which is why she initially kicked Deckard's rear end. And, even in the short, the slim and tiny hookeroid picks up and throws out a 300-400 pound trucker onto the street from a moving vehicle and then tears through a car loads of armed security guards.
You could tell that Pris wasn't actually very good at it, though. Less flipping and she could have easily killed Deckard but it felt like violence wasn't terribly natural for her.

atrus50 posted:

most important poart of anime
LOL I thought he sounded pretty spot on. I wonder if he made up that Cityspeak phrase himself :allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cheesus posted:

I thought it odd that so many have said they dislike this short. I felt it was better than the other two, captured the spirit of the original movie perfectly, and was easy to follow. I could watch and entire movie of this.
A lot of it seemed like a remix of the movie. I don't know if they just thought it was fun to animate a bunch of stuff as a tribute or because they always wanted to or what, but it seemed like they made a checklist of stuff to cover. Towers with fireballs, flying spinners, innocent pleasure model forced into violence, dying female replicant crashing into glass, caged dancing girls, Gaff, etc.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Noted cinematic experts The Verge gave it an OK review but they didn't seem to think it was as amazing as the people you are finding. They gave it points for trying to be more than a normal blockbuster even if they thought it didn't quite pull off being a masterpiece (they thought The Bad Guys were a bit simplistic).

At the very least this doesn't sound like a train wreck, not that I ever really thought Villeneuve would have made something like that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh man now I wish we could have seen the battle of Tannhauser Gate.

ROY!!! WE'RE OFF COURSE, OOHHH SHIII-

i got u fam *rips off shirt, spends several minutes contorting to stare at own chest and the nearest star simultaneously to get bearing*
This Soldier trailer is supposed to depict the battle of Tannhauser Gate.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
LOL

I actually noticed this when I made the mistake of reading some comment sections for recent Blade Runner related news - people seem to be tripping over themselves to say how much they don't like it. They seem really proud of this, like it's rebellious in some way.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Somebody already mentioned it, but I loved the solar towers as a sort of mirrored callback to the fire towers in the original opening (although I was kinda wonder how well they would work, but maybe the fog dissipates at some point).

In the intro, it looked like there was a massive patchwork of warehouses covering the land. The shapes suggested fields that had been covered, but does California actually have fields in jigsaw shapes like that? It looked more European to me; I would assume American fields are giant and more rectangular but that wouldn't have been as striking of an image.

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 9, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I love how people's interpretations of Joi are completely opposite too! :) She's definitely the new "replicant question."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DorianGravy posted:

A few questions:
1) Wallace is still alive and well at the end of the movie, right? Deckard doesn't seem particularly safe, even if Joe declared him dead, so I worry for him and his daughter.
2) In the climatic fight, where exactly are they? It looks like there is some huge dam on the ocean-front, so are they on the outside of that? Why were they near it in the first place? Is the airport offshore?
1) Yup. Refreshingly, nothing happened to him (I figured there was going to be some goofy sneak attack into the fortress). He's probably ordering a new Luv and I bet he'll be able to track down the Deckards before too long.
2) They appear to be gigantic sea walls protecting the land from erosion and to protect the city from massive storms. You see some lights off in the distance that they're flying toward so the spaceport is either a floating platform or some kind of island. I assume this is primarily to heighten security, since you can only reach it by air and they would see you coming. Being father away from any meddlesome government is probably a bonus too. I think international water starts 200 miles offshore in the US so it's probably still under their jurisdiction, though. We've seen nothing about space travel in the BR universe so maybe the ships are super dangerous/polluting?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is Wallace the only character in the movie/movies to have cybernetic enhancement? In a lot of cyberpunk stuff you'll have all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff bolted onto humans but Wallace sticks out. He has a little 'pill box' of clip in chips which I presume allow him to do other stuff than just control weird creepy flying cameras.
The only one that's called out, but the police chief calls the building with Memory Girl an "upgrade center" so stuff like that probably does exist. We don't really see too much of the upper crust of society, just like we never see the colonies or what a full-blown kick-murder squad with high-end gear is capable of (which I'm betting would be straight out of a Blomkamp movie).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Mariette's line about the horse coming "from a tree" makes a lot more sense when I remembered she was very interested in the tree photograph that K had.

I saw it in Dolby this time (is this just an AMC thing?). I don't know if I can really tell a difference picture-wise from the digital IMAX showing I saw, although this one had even more absurd bass. I would be interested in listening to the soundtrack by itself because I can't tell if some of the weird sounds are intentional (one I remember is the bee scene; there was a strange digital distortion over the booms). I'm pretty sure the ceiling tiles and light fixtures were rattling in this showing. One thing I really noticed was how rock-steady the image was in the static outdoor shots; I think I'm conditioned from decades of film projection to look for strobing or jittering.

I'm even more torn about Joi after this showing, because in the first scene she's in she definitely comes off as entirely subservient in a fairly cloy way. It appears to be the emanator that sets her free, if you can call it that. I can't make up my mind if Joi or Luv is the more interesting character.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I specifically looked the second time if any of the prototypes(?) were Bautista and I don't think so. He has very distinctive shoulders and I didn't see anyone like that. He was a Tyrell model (that's now being hunted for extermination) anyway; why would Wallace show him off?

I think if they made duplicate replicants they would stand out a lot more which probably isn't what either Tyrell or Wallace wants.

Xealot posted:

Obviously, there are only duplicates when it serves the film's themes. I'm sure IRL, there'd be 50,000 alternate models for JOI in particular, half of them otherkin. But that's not where they went with it.
When K turns on the emanator there's a Joi settings screen that briefly visible. You'll have to wait for the home video to actually read all of it, but I think one of the drop-downs is ethnicity (it could have been accent; I just read that the value was "Cuban"). I kind of like the implication that Joi only looks like that by default (which is why all the ads look the same) and K just didn't change any of them. Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable making those types of modifications, since it makes it much easier to objectify her instead of treating her like a real being.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Steve Yun posted:

The camera lingers on this one
I dunno, I guess it might supposed to be him but it's not a super obvious resemblance to me. Bautista seems to have a pretty round face with kind of a smooth sloping forehead which that thing on the right doesn't have, although judging by the left side the aspect ratio might be hosed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cameron's Aliens pitch is still my favourite Hollywood story.
I mean, it’s completely fake, but other than that it’s pretty amusing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

exquisite tea posted:

The whole fear of a replicant revolution just seems very at odds with the tone established by the first film and even BR2049 itself. Blade Runner's Earth is an destitute, dying shithole full of invalids, nobody gives a gently caress about the humans or androids living there, so it makes no sense for Wright or Leto to constantly be talking in these apocalyptic tones about lines being crossed. Nobody has seen the sun in decades and you're living off grubs, who's paying the LAPD to maintain this crack team of android hunters? BR1982 already established that the lines between human and artificial were illusory in Deckard's slow arcing realization of how worthless his life really was. But then all that totally gets reset in the sequel, now Deckard's role in affairs is one of revolutionary importance and society is suddenly very concerned about the status of replicants again even though we already resolved this argument in the original. The whole grandiose tone of the script just felt very off compared to the setting established in Blade Runner, of scavengers trying to pick up the pieces of failed state. Society has already crumbled, don't sing La Marseillaise just grab whatever you can get.
I think you’re leaving out the Colonies... I imagine that Earth is still very important culturally and politically even if it’s almost dead - humans are probably a bit sentimental about the ol’ blue marble. We don’t see this at all, but I would guess Earth’s economy is highly tied to resources/capital flowing in from Off World. Who pays for the Blade Runners? Indirectly, probably Wallace. Why do they care about keeping a wall between humans and replicants? Because replicants might outnumber people in the Colonies, and if a revolution started on Earth it would probably spread.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

starkebn posted:

Aren't there only X number of replicant looks?
I don't remember a single thing in either movie that alludes to this. They would be a lot easier to track down if they were duplicates.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Unoriginal Name posted:

There is Nexus 7(?) model in Wallace's hallway that is a dead ringer for Bautista
We had an argument about this earlier in the thread. I don’t think it looked much like him. It’s a big, burly model alright, but I didn’t think it was specifically supposed to be a Sapper Morton clone. It was just a creepy shot in general.

Now that the home video release is available, can somebody post some better pictures of Tank Replicant?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can't stress this enough but if you have not watched this film on Bluray you are doing yourself a great disservice. A lot of the visuals are lost in compression, not even the best streaming comes close...
Anybody watched it on 4K?

I don’t have anything against Jared Leto and I don’t hate him in BR2049, but there are definitely other actors that would have done better things with the role. Bowie would have been amazing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bardeh posted:

I went to see this twice in theatres, absolutely loved it, and the soundtrack just popped up in the sidebar of Youtube and I'm falling in love with it all over again. I've got a decent 4k HDR TV, where's the best place to buy/stream it from? Amazon?
Best streaming quality would be Apple, but I doubt it would hold a candle to the UHD Blu-Ray.

• Locked thread