Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I look forward to this sequel of white-people-in-not-Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Villeneuve just signed on to direct a Dune reboot after Blade Runner.

The guy’s going to explode and become the next Christopher Nolan or these movies will sink his career. Should be interesting, and I’m betting on Villenueve.
If he goes back to making small original films I’ll be okay with that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think Denis Villeneuve of all people is going to make this movie squarely as a nostalgic piece, friends.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arrival made me cry like a baby. I really wasn't expecting that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This movie is going to suck rear end

hype always ends poorly

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have the option of paying to watch the IMAX version which supposedly has an expanded aspect ratio of 1.9:1. Any idea if it's worth it?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did some research about what's the best way to watch this film.

There's a 2D and 3D version, but Deakins has said they shot the film in 2D and the 3D was added only in post. There's also an IMAX cut in 1.9:1 while the "regular" cut is 2.39:1. The IMAX cut is advertised as having more image, meaning you'll literally see stuff that gets cut off in the regular version.

In the above link, he said that regular 2D would be his preference (as opposed to 3D or IMAX).

I'm gonna try to seek out a Dolby Atmos screening, too. My sense is sound's gonna be real important here. (Auro 11.1 sound may also be available, though I have no clue how that matches up to IMAX or Dolby Atmos.)

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 2, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FYI the best part about Roger Deakins being active on an online forum is that you get to see random internet person call him an idiot and know that he read it

https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-trailers-on-70mmimax-70mm-film/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I posted about this on the last page

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Some of the reviews coming from prominent review publications have expressed some sense of being underwhelmed, so I'd use that to moderate all the hype.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm all for trailers misrepresenting films to get butts in seats. Spring Breakers owes its box office to some trailer trickery.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The whole thing with the memory girl. Come on. What a lovely twist. And the scenes with her were the worst too. When she first showed up I was like, this is the 15 minutes they needed to excise. It's narratively pointless. We don't need to introduce a new character just so a potential plot hole is covered. Then it turns out shoehorned-in character is actually the loving messiah.

What a mess. At least it was pretty. The score still felt a bit too Hans Zimmer to me though. It's so far from capturing the lightning in the bottle that the original film was.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's probably better as a standalone film, without all the baggage of the original.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

For the Joe/JOI discussion:

While Joe is watching the JOI advertisement they intercut to the 'because you've never seen a miracle' scene. I think at that moment Joe decides that he has seen a miracle and it was his holowaifu growing beyond her programming and actually loving him.
But that's part of JOI's programming though. She said things to make him feel like a real boy. It did what it was programmed to do.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Actually gently caress it, if the run time was so horrible for you, start naming what you'd cut. Specifically.

You can't cut out much or the entire thing wouldn't be Blade Runner. The entire experience would be thrown off and empty. It would be another lovely Hollywood sequel.
Try calming down and not being such a sardonic asswipe to everybody with a different opinion, dude.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think there's a need to cut anything from the film. The gorgeousness of it all makes palatable even pointless stuff like the bee scene and the Elvis lounge scene.

But it definitely needs rewriting. Everything involving Robin Wright and Jared Leto is so stilted, so on-the-nose, so unsubtle. And I don't think it's just the writing. I think they're two of the least inspired casting decisions in the film.

And of course, I've said this already, but the memory girl twist is awful. When K says "go meet your daughter," it's the worst thing ever. For a while I genuinely had no idea what he was talking about. It comes out of nowhere, it makes no sense, there isn't even the subtlest build up to it, it's absolutely half-baked.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cacator posted:

They explicitly spell it out for you earlier in the film though?
They don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why didn't he end up directing this one? If he's so loving prolific and he wrote the story...

• Locked thread