Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I don't think Denis Villeneuve of all people is going to make this movie squarely as a nostalgic piece, friends.

Basically this. Moviegoers seem to have amnesia for the way trailer marketing works and how it often reflects poorly on the final product. This is the opportune time to bring it up as well because Villeneuve's "Arrival" was treated in the exact same way and it turned out to be one of the best science fiction movies in years. Complete opposite of the almost sci-fi-horror-esque action movie the trailer made it out to be. Ignoring the trailer visual and sound editing, what I got out of this was phenomenal cinematography in a really intriguing environment. Along with having a director who's shown that he knows what he's doing and does so with great care. The little bits I've seen from the actors seems solid enough, but realistically none of that can be determined accurately until the movie actually comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Feels weird coming in here and seeing a major complaint being thin characters/underused subplots when the first movie was a stew of ambiguity and characters with very little time in the story to develop. That was the entire point of their presence though and this expanded on that concept in really alluring ways, in my opinion. Also, some of the subplots that weren't given a bigger role: I felt like the point of that was to show how this world *is* massive and goes far beyond beyond the scope of the main characters. It's thriving and living outside what we as an audience were seeing. Which, yeah, could be horribly done -- but with the oppressive and melancholy environment, and the themes about having a soul and what it means to be human in meaninglessness, it felt really good.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think she was just following orders. Clearly she had more autonomy/higher intelligence than other replicants, but I think that was because like Rachel she was of particular interest/use to the creator. Basically, she was a tool of the corporation so she could lie and kill as long as it suited Wallace's directives.

Although whenever she was witnessing atrocities against her own kind, she was shedding tears. Part of me felt like there was an internal struggle between her programming to be loyal and her growing autonomy. As if maybe she didn't want to be at the beck and call of Wallace and resented the way replicants were treated, but didn't have too much of a choice in her actions.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Personally thought the introduction to the revolution at the beginning with the one-eyed woman getting the sex workers to warm up to K and it's further momentary glance at the end was perfect. It didn't need more, but it didn't need to get cut either. I mentioned in an earlier post that it was obvious Villeneuve wanted to scope of the film's universe to breathe on its own outside of what the audience was seeing. It wasn't meant to be a central plot point. It was an addition to the world; something for the audience to be aware of but not dwell on. K was on a search for meaning - for finding a soul - and I think that scene at the beginning was supposed to fuel those emotions. He thought he was special, turns out it's he's the polar opposite and not even a centralized part of this revolution the replicants are planning. He's *literally* nobody despite so many grandeur events unfolding around him. In the face of something so massive he still feels empty and as though his personal journey to become special led him nowhere. Which is why he's so somber looking walking down that street when he runs into purple holo-Joi and why that interaction with her finally drove home what he needed to do to become more than human.

GeekyManatee fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 7, 2017

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Do you happen to have a link? Or is it pretty easy to find if I search YouTube?

Also Wikipedia says the game has like a dozen endings. Wikipedia also says the odds of us getting a re-release of the game are pretty low. But hey, with the renewed interest in Blade Runner thanks to the new movie, maybe Telltale Games will consider making a new game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brGguuW3Cmg - long play straight from the yubtub.

• Locked thread