Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

This movie looks dumb, and the trailer looks to be some kinda of Harrison ford reveal to get you happy for a sequel to a movie that was ok.

I mean if you think Blade Runner is just "ok" you're probably not really in the target audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cacator posted:

I don't understand the love for Alien Covenant and I say that as someone who enjoyed Prometheus.

For me, it elucidated the themes of Prometheus and expanded on them in a way that improved that movie significantly. Frankly, I just love the David plot unconditionally; the actual Alien aspects, I could take or leave at this point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RedSpider posted:

This is apparently the first of three viral clips.

And I don't see this film getting much traction at all. It's apparently three hours long, too. :lol:

E; I think IT and The Snowman are going to be the popular R rated flicks in the next few months instead.

IT is pretty much an obvious call, but... honestly, I think it's a toss-up between this and The Snowman, with a chance that neither ends up doing super well. Both movies look dope as gently caress, but both movies are honestly kinda niche.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jared Leto is good now folks. Sorry

He's always been a good actor, that's not the problem; the problem is that his real-life persona is that of a massive douchebag.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is Jared Leto the Kanye West of acting?

No. Kanye West is mentally ill and lacks a filter, and is also probably a bit too sincere about himself for the current post-irony internet landscape. Jared Leto just acts like a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone he's around, from what I'm aware.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

Is Final Cut a good version of Blade Runner to watch? Kind of a 'beggars can't be choosers' situation here since the best option for watching it without buying it is streaming from the Playstation store and that's the only version they have.

It's pretty much the definitive version. It's the DC plus some touchups on effects, basically.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Danger posted:

I wonder if they even approached Vangelis.

Isn't he retired?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Was Jared Leto CGI or was that a real Jared Leto in this movie?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've seen Gosling in four movies now and in three of them he played a character who's impassive but prone to sudden violent outbursts.

In two his characters drown someone but that probably doesn't mean anything.

Honestly, I couldn't shake the feeling I'd pretty much seen this movie before while I was watching it in the theater, and it totally just clicked for me why.

BR2049 is a loving stealth remake of Drive, and not a particularly subtle one, and holy gently caress I sincerely hope I'm not the first person to have this realization because it's kind of blowing my mind a little.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

They're both disconnected robots doing wrong at the start. They become human (or "a real hero") by an act of willing self-sacrifice. They both take out the main villains' lieutenant by running their car off the road and drowning them. They save people but are fated to wander off alone/die. They both get Lance of Longinus'ed in the abdomen because they're Jesus.

Yep. Also, they both have love interests with fairly empty lives outside of the romance, whose alienation from them is the spur for them to start making proactive decisions, immediately followed by drowning one of the villain's lieutenants.

I'd need to rewatch 2049 to go into more depth but it seems fairly uncanny.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yaws posted:

I am not a box office expert but by all accounts it's a massive failure.

Which is just depressing to me. Studios are even less likely to take chances on a film like this.

Marvel and Star Wars forever!

I mean, you also have to consider that this movie was absurdly, extravagantly expensive. More than making studios think "we can never make anything smart again," it'll likely make them think "we need to spend less money on smart poo poo."

e: It's also apparently meeting expectations overseas, it's just not doing great in the domestic box office. And even then, with the absurdly positive word of mouth, it'll probably have longer legs than most movies (and might even have a second weekend increase instead of a drop).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 11, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, I can't wait for this to hit digital media because I really want to shave 45 minutes off it and give it a better score (maybe reuse Vangelis' stuff from the original?) and see if it comes out a perfect movie.

I don't think there's any scenes I'd cut outright, but almost every one could probably be trimmed a bit, and that score is just loving terrible and nearly sunk the movie on its own.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Please make your dream come true so I can tear the result to loving shreds. 45 minutes? Holy poo poo I want to see how bad this could get.

You realize that would still leave the film a minute longer than the original, right? :v: Like, that was actually part of why I landed on that specific number, because I feel like the original did almost as much minus nearly a solid fuckin' hour.

e: also, I haven't seen Dunkirk, but... the fact that you're comparing the score of this to the score of a WWII movie is pretty telling as to the problem with this one. It doesn't sound like Blade Runner. It just sounds like every other Hans Zimmer score, with extra inexplicable bass drops.

THAT SAID, I don't think Johannson would have nailed it, either; my pick for the score would have been, like, S U R V I V E or Dynatron or Tonebox. (Hell, S U R V I V E already proved that they can do a really loving awesome score, they did all the non-licensed music for Stranger Things.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 11, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jehde posted:

The score was perfect for a Blade Runner film made in 2017. Trying to score it to evoke a feeling of it being younger or older than it was would just feel wrong.

On the other hand, analog synthesizers and cyberpunk are like chocolate and peanut butter, and going for a BWOOOOOOOMM-heavy Zimmer score felt way the gently caress more wrong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

Funny enough, I thought she said "you don't like ro-girls", which made me think I misheard it, or they were doing a little worldbuilding by inventing a phrase for pleasure-model lady replicants, or both.

Yeah, this is actually what I heard too, but I need to rewatch in a less poo poo theater.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

revwinnebago posted:

Let me remind you of the actual Blade Runner music, and please take a second pass at how much this resembles the music you think makes you nostalgic for Blade Runner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwo7DPUFUM

Yeah, I wouldn't pick Perturbator or Carpenter Brut or Dance with the Dead or anyone along those lines. My choices of synthwave artist were pretty deliberate; one of the more EDM-influenced artists would have been horrible, but one of the ones that does dark, atmospheric, ambient stuff would have been perfect, because it's essentially hitting the same atmosphere but with more advanced production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVtzdAeKr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ud5yDjM63I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAnzS1ITOqU

e: the last one kind of stops being what I'm talking about and goes a little in the wrong direction after the 2:15 mark, but the first half of it is exactly the type of thing I was hoping BR2049's soundtrack would sound like.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

It's also worth noting that the types of coincidences in BR2049 are the same kind as found in the original blade runner. J.F. Sebastian's character both living alone in a slum with no security and being buddies with the ultra rich and powerful Tyrell and having access to Tyrell's personal quarters seems like a pretty big coincidence.

So I don't think it's weird that the sequel has the same style of story.

Eh. JF Sebastian's deal kind of works for me, honestly; he lives alone in a slum with no security because he's basically just a weird hobo, but he's also a mechanical/bioengineering savant, which is a skillset Tyrell has big and obvious use for. Tyrell doesn't really do anything to lift him up in a publicly-visible way, because it would shatter the illusion that it's all Tyrell's work, but is entirely willing to commiserate with him on a semi-secret basis. None of this is outright said, but the info given in the movie makes it fairly obvious in my opinion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is another thing that betrays the ideology of the film: things are as bad as they are in the Blade Runner 2 universe (all life on Earth goes extinct right around now) because history hasn’t ended yet. Liberal democracy has not yet had its triumph. The leap in time between the two films is from 1982 to 2017 - i.e. directly from Brezhnev to Putin - skipping the 1990s altogether.

The unspoken, assumed statement of the films is that liberal democracy will not have its triumph, though. The first film jumps ahead thirty years to show a world that has been nearly destroyed by liberal democracy. The second film jumps ahead another thirty to show a world that has been successfully destroyed by liberal democracy, with humanity as it exists essentially trying to clean up the scraps. If liberal democracy hasn't had its triumph by 2049, can a viewer reasonably assume it ever will, or is the ideology of liberal democracy simply a load of bullshit?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I don’t recall any criticism of liberal democracy in this film.

I'm saying that the state of the setting is, in and of itself, a criticism, if we are supposed to take the setting as a liberal democracy. The world of the Blade Runner movies is not a particularly nice place to live by any means, and 2049 in particular is an outright apocalyptic vision; here, the visuals speak so that the plot can worry about other things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sicario is absolutely better than BR2049. It's kind of hilarious to me that someone would even pose the question.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you think you've watched it on your ffffucking iPhone, that's such a sadness.

screen size doesn't matter as much as screen resolution. an iPhone 3 inches away from your face is not really a massively different viewing experience from a TV a few feet away, as long as they're both showing full-HD resolution.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I can't believe I have to actually explain this to you, but Trump's actions actually meaningfully hurt people, whereas Ridley Scott is just an old dork who makes movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

androo posted:

Did this movie answer the Deckard replicant question officially? Watched last night, loved it, but couldn't pick up some dialog.

Without spoilers: it's left more ambiguous than everyone initially figured, and while where you land changes the implications of some of the plot, it works either way.

• Locked thread