Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
There's a lot to like in this trailer, but here's what I don't like:

1. Stupid holograms; between this and Ghost in the Shell, the future looks lame.
2. Rough visual f/x (probably not finished, admittedly)
3. Harrison Ford (hang it the gently caress up, or please don't run when you're in movies nowadays)
4. Jared Leto
5. Daryl Hannah-esque tramp squad @ 1:31 in the trailer.
6. Anytime Harrison Ford opens his mouth and says something.
7. Atari logo (between this and the Pan Am poo poo in Ghost in the Shell, it just seems like some people are trying too hard for nostalgia; frankly, it's a lame easter egg).

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

oversteps posted:

I'm trying to figure out why I dislike Leto so much. I think it's because of his band, maybe.

Well, it's also because he loving sucks.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

This will either be Mad Max: Fury Road levels of good or disappointing poo poo. Nothing in between.

I will say something felt off from the trailer to me.

It's Harrison Ford. I'm sure the producers are thinking about all of that Force Awakens cash that he brought in, but Star Wars and Han Solo are beloved; Blade Runner and Rick Deckard are far more niche.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

Movie is a solid B for me. Runs far too long, has a couple of really ineffective villains, and borrows the "life finds a way" angle from Jurassic Park, but barely delves into it. There is also a poorly executed replicant revolution scene thrown in toward the end that should not have made it into the film, in my opinion. As a whole, Blade Runner 2049 strikes me as wildly inaccessible to those new to Blade Runner, which I'm sure hardcore fans absolutely love.

Visuals and sound are, of course, superb, and I was surprised a how much I liked Harrison Ford, who has the "city miles" to pull off his character's world weariness and cynicism in a way that never came across as forced. Gosling is Gosling. Robin Wright is Robin Wright. I think the Somali pirate from Captain Phillips is in the movie, doing a good job playing a character called Dr. Badger, which is a tragically bad name. Dave Bautista was very effective in his limited role, which surprised me. Hologram girlfriend was perfect.

The movie is not off to a great start at the box office, and I hope it doesn't flop because it doesn't deserve to. It's well-made, it's interesting, and that's nearly all you can ask for.

Wank posted:

I have a bad feeling this movie will be like The Matrix for me. Amazing to watch the first time and terrible the second, let's see. The original Blade Runner is one of those fantastic pieces of pop culture that I hated when I first saw it and learned to love it after multiple viewings.

For me, Blade Runner has always made a terrible second impression. Once you get past the world-class visuals and sound, you're left with a really poor detective story and Rutger Hauer's scene-chewing, the latter of which always made me wonder if Deckard and Bryant had the right Roy Batty, because the one they're chasing seems more like a drama major than someone who would lead a "kick-murder squad."

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 7, 2017

• Locked thread