Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Shageletic posted:

edited by Roger loving Deakins.

A risky choice. He doesn't have much experience as an editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Then just when he least expects it, The Mosquito Coast 2049 enters production.

But he already died in the first one!

To add something beyond corrections, I'll point out that the building Gosling finds Deckard in has "Luck" written in Korean above its entrance. And also, I am very excited about this movie.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 21, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hopefully cutting the trailer to the original's soundtrack is an indication of how closely they intend to follow elements of the original soundtrack. Departing from the music would be like making a Star Wars film without John Williams motifs, it's too huge an element of the film's identity.

So long as he's faithful to the sound of the synths and the general style, I'm confident Johannson has what it takes to pull it off.

I really did not want Vengelis to do it himself though. As perfect as his original soundtrack is, his decades of attempts at creating new music "in the style of Blade Runner" have all fallen flat on their faces. I don't think he still has it in him.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 21, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

How is that different from the Director's Cut though? If the Unicorn bits make it hard to refute that Deckard is a replicant, then the theatrical cut is the only version that leaves open the possibility of him being human. It's hardly a case of Ridley going back and changing things to "take his ball and run home" in that case, as the "directors cut" is a cut assembled years after the fact based on his initial notes before finishing the first cut of the film.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

An Umberto Eco based videogame exists.

Huh.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Previously the rights were a tangled mess though. Producers and directors would want it, but the logistics just dissolved any plans. That's all sorted now and the studio is fully ready to make the film happen. They've just been looking for writers and directors since announcing securing all necessary rights a few months back.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Motto posted:

I assume it's for when it appears as a video ad.

Yeah exactly. It's for the mandatory 5 seconds before you can click skip on ads.

GitS had far better giant holograms. I'm sure that's the only thing it will wind up doing better than this or any Dennis Villeneuve film, but still. Better holograms.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean it's a good way to visually signal "this isn't the future of our 2017."

The original wasn't a cute easter egg, it was just product placement that could have been any corporation that wanted to pay. This time it's a deliberate signal.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I wouldn't guessed that those cityscapes were miniatures if they didn't have the shot of the crew walking around them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Missing any Villeneuve film is a poor choice.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Heh, I interpreted it as questioning/mocking Gosling's masculinity. Guess my brain still has his characters from Refn's films associated with him.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

One of the trailers made it look like he might die and if he does I'll be heartbroken. I already empathized with him a ton from the trailer and this short just enhances that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The story was simple and had excessively clear exposition?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vegetable posted:

FYI the best part about Roger Deakins being active on an online forum is that you get to see random internet person call him an idiot and know that he read it

https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-trailers-on-70mmimax-70mm-film/

Haha, "you're an idiot roger."

He, and a lot of other big DPs, also used to post on cinematography.com's forums as well. As the forums got more popular, there were increased instances of dumb film students arguing with him about technical details that they clearly had only the faintest comprehension of. It was amusing, but also pushed a lot of the more experienced filmmakers off the site.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I imagine that if some of you ever watched a Bela Tarr film it would literally kill you.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Saw it, loved it. Some real hypnotic sequences in this. Sound design was fantastic.

"All the best memories are hers." had a nice melancholic double meaning at the end.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

porfiria posted:

They're both disconnected robots doing wrong at the start. They become human (or "a real hero") by an act of willing self-sacrifice. They both take out the main villains' lieutenant by running their car off the road and drowning them. They save people but are fated to wander off alone/die. They both get Lance of Longinus'ed in the abdomen because they're Jesus.

They both wear coats that would be dorky as hell irl but are cool as gently caress on screen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jehde posted:

I can't remember... Is this the scene transition where it goes from a silhouette of the back of Deckard's head set against the warm lighting of Wallace's office, to a silhouette of the back of K's head set against the cold lighting of the city?

Yeah. The two scenes are mirrors of each other in quite a few ways. Deckard is challenged by Wallace on whether his romance with Rachel was natural or the product of design and what the difference between the two actually is, then tempted by an imperfect recreation before reaching a point of resolve. K then deals with the same question, temptation, and finds resolve. They also go out of their way to make "different eyes" an obvious thing with the new Joi.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

[quote="“VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE”" post="“477308888”"]
That was like, 10 loving minutes in
[/quote]

It's closer to halfway through, but is also only a few lines of dialogue. Also it's Joi asking K, not the other way around.

Unless he means when K first gets the emanator, in which case yeah that is immediately after the opening, is the introduction of both the tech and the relationship, and is one of the more beautiful scenes in the film.

[quote="“Escobarbarian”" post="“477310008”"]
The toilet was right next to the screen entrance and I walked pretty quickly and washed my hands lol. But yeah the parts I saw still made it feel superfluous

Also I don’t wanna be the omg-so-smart guy but isn’t it obvious memory creator is the child as soon as she cries about the horse figure memory and says the thing about the best memories coming from real places? That was too predictable for me.

I dunno it was still a real good movie, I think I had just been lead to expect something truly special and it wasn’t outside of the visuals really. I also kinda wish there had been more scenes on “ground-level” where we see how civilians in this world live. The only one I can think of is the one in the food screen area where Mackenzie Davis etc approach K? The movie did a lot of visual world-building but I personally still felt at a distance from it due to this.
[/quote]

It's a fairly important moment for Joi and K and has some thematic meat to it. Also it's minimally long for the character beats shown.

I thought it was clear who the child was, but a lot of people in this thread though the final reveal came out of nowhere.

Both of K's approaches to his apartment are at ground level, as is the scene you mentioned at the automated bento box restaurant, and the market with the wood dealer. So mostly transitional stuff, like the first film. There just isn't a big ground level set piece like Deckard's first kill from the original, I guess. It didn't diminish how immersive the world was for me.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 12, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Was it one of the theaters that have a small toilet in the back of the screening room itself? And did you sprint to and from the restroom and skip washing your hands? Because that scene is a minute or two long tops.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It wasn’t shot for IMAX or 3D, and the IMAX version is cropped for the format. Deakins had no input on the changes for either alternative format and prefers the movie to be seen in standard 2D.

Though everyone who has seen it in IMAX says it’s great.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, the flyover was part practical effects...

In the DGA interview, Villeneuve said that LA, San Diego, and Las Vegas were digitally augmented miniatures built by Weta in New Zealand.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bond seems like such a dull franchise for Villeneuve's talent. Especially compared with the potential of an undertaking as crazy as Dune.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It'll need some good legs to break even, which this weekend's heavy drop and upcoming films like Thor make unlikely. But fingers crossed?

The international rates are even variable between films. A few recent action films have been Chinese co-productions which makes China and a few other Asian regions more profitable than is typical. That doesn't really apply to BR2049 though, it was riding heavily on the domestic take. Maaaaybe it'll be a runaway hit with long legs in Japan next week, but it'd have to be near Alice in Wonderland levels to even things out.

I'm kind of okay with the film not doing too hot because I don't want to see this become a cinematic universe (as Scott Free was supposedly considering). At the same time, I wish it hadn't bombed as hard because I like seeing more adult films get this kind of scope and production quality and bombs like this don't help. And I'd like to see Villeneuve have the freedom to do whatever he wants in the future.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kind of weird for his boss to ponder how she somehow forgets he’s a replicant if she’s only had two conversations with him at that point.

I tried to compare Gosling’s eyes to the eye shot from the trailers. Looks like a match to me. Also in searching for the eye shot I realized the original film was the right eye and the new film is the left eye.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It’s interesting that the one scene gets referred to universally as a sex scene, when it’s eye contact and kisses shot almost entirely from the shoulders up. The most skin we see is a bra strap from behind. I don’t recall any other pre-sex kisses in cinema being referred to as sex scenes, but the performances and the visuals were impactful enough that we feel like we’re seeing something far more intimate.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Both of those are sequences are great and are what I was referring to in my post where the movie successfully gets something across but then goes up its own rear end at times by indulging. The shot showing the brothel was good and the translucent sex scene was one of the best scenes in the movie.* But the sex scene is a good example. It's great, then the next morning Mariette gets up to get dressed/whatever, but then she just sort of stops and strikes a model pose for ten seconds so the camera can slowly pan up from her feet to her head to give us a good slow shot of her rear end. It's stupid and it really stands out when done with the same reverent pacing as any of the film's establishing shots. You see something similar after Jared's prototype replicant is born. Like, we're aware she's naked and vulnerable and basically worthless beyond being a product to Leto because everything about how the scene works establishes that, but we still get a similar shot of her in between this.

I love Blade Runner: 2049 but really don't understand why any time anyone brings up some of the gratuitous use of nudity and the female body in the film everyone just immediately assumes it's because the person bringing it up didn't understand the significance of the JOI love scene when that's spelled out pretty clearly. Like a R rated $$$ Hollywood movie has some gratuitous nudity isn't some super out there concept.

*The effects for JOI are one of my favorite things in the movie, I like how consistent everything is with how she's slightly transparent throughout, the way she seizes up after K cashes, etc. The movie does a great job of visually having her be fake while having her act like a "real person."

I was really blown away by how good the grey dead cityscapes looked. I mean it's stuff we've seen in a billion movies but it was so detailed and clear here, I couldn't believe how beautiful it looked.

When Mariette wakes up the shot is a distant wide shot from the other room and she’s framed in silhouette? What is this slow pan up over her rear end you’re talking about? The only shot with the newborn replicant’s rear end visible is a neutral-framed wide shot of the whole room as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

In this year’s director’s roundtable with the Hollywood Reporter, Villenueve mentioned that there was one actor on then film who, when it came time to film their scenes, made him realizing he’d made a mistake in casting him. He said he was able to push and force a serviceable performance out of them, but that the choice was still a clear mistake.

He doesn’t name who it was, but could it be anyone except Leto?

• Locked thread