Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cephas posted:

depiction of hell.

A world where laborers are treated as disposable, marginally genetically different people are treated as second class citizens and reproduction is controlled. Imagine that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

On the one hand that sucks, on the other hand like, Dune is so different from Blade Runner in every way

It's only different to sci-fi fans like you or I. For most people they're both ponderous and boring sci-fi, for studio execs they're both expensive sci-fi with little guarantee of an audience.

quote:

I mean depending on how Dune is developed and looks you'd get like every single person who went to Lord of the Rings and Avatar to go and get obsessed with it too.

Dune is not quite the easily digestible and crowd-pleasing subject matter that LOTR was though. Yes, I know the LOTR movies amped up the "fun" dial but the underlying story was undeniably more fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baQ09GmUjUY

I should watch the documentary again, I forgot how many insane things happened in it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It works both ways actually. If Deckard is human it means humans and replicants are indistinguishable. If Deckard is a replicant, at the very least it means replicants will have control over their own procreation (something that will also be true if Deckard is human, but isn't as clear)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As long as we're talking about our fan fictions, I saw the short where they mentioned in passing that Niander stopped a famine with genetically engineered food so I made the prediction that the twist would be that hey guess what the entire world is replicants because we've been eating replicant food for so long that our DNA got slowly replaced. I know that's not how DNA works, but I liked the idea because it would have been like an entire world of white supremacists finding out they were part black.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

I mean, it's not clear they all had the exact memory. After all, K was the first one to go find the horse in real life.

The resistance has a person planted there who keeps putting a new horse back in the furnace every time a replicant with the memory pulls it out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was just jokin'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yavYMMpzBrA&t=90s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

e: Also, side note: as referenced in Goldsmith'ss podcast, apparently you can just go into the Margaret Herrick Library in Hollywood and read first, second, etc. drafts of screenplays that have never been available publicly. They have early drafts of The Phantom Menace according to their site search!

If I made a lunch field trip to here, what else should I look up?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When you see the Joi hologram the first time, she has normal eyes.

When you see the Joi hologram the second time, she has weird creepy shark eyes.

Is there something meaningful going on here, or is it only there to alienate you from the hologram at a moment when the movie wants you to see her as a soulless product.

It kind of feels like cheating at directing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I didn't like it in the original either. I mean, why do you need to lug around an expensive fireplace bellows and CRT monitor in a suitcase to test people's eyes.

"Her eyes were green"

No, they were flashlight colored! Garbage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The camera lingers on this one

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

david_a posted:

I dunno, I guess it might supposed to be him but it's not a super obvious resemblance to me. Bautista seems to have a pretty round face with kind of a smooth sloping forehead which that thing on the right doesn't have, although judging by the left side the aspect ratio might be hosed.

Naaaah that's Sapper.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you're the person who buys six Jois, the question of how human she is is not as interesting as how much of a human you are

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Now do the male characters.

K is constrained, thwarted, and dead.

Wallace seemed to be doin alright by the end.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Someone do a remake of Cinema Paradiso but in Malaysia.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Eh. JF Sebastian's deal kind of works for me, honestly; he lives alone in a slum with no security because he's basically just a weird hobo, but he's also a mechanical/bioengineering savant, which is a skillset Tyrell has big and obvious use for. Tyrell doesn't really do anything to lift him up in a publicly-visible way, because it would shatter the illusion that it's all Tyrell's work, but is entirely willing to commiserate with him on a semi-secret basis. None of this is outright said, but the info given in the movie makes it fairly obvious in my opinion.

Besides hogging credit I like the idea that Tyrell underpays his most valuable employee.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Origami Dali posted:

How is there not an art book with all of Syd Mead's BR work?

I think it's sprinkled across his other books. I have one signed by him that has a chapter on blade runner but hell if I know where it is now.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 30, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, the neat thing about that scene is it works whether or not you're convinced by Rachel.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 31, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

"The first assembly of the film" isn't really a "cut" though, right

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Say Zizek three times interlinked

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Not drug war, but there was Pain and Gain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

screen size doesn't matter as much as screen resolution. an iPhone 3 inches away from your face is not really a massively different viewing experience from a TV a few feet away, as long as they're both showing full-HD resolution.

The other concern with watching movies on your iPhone is that (depending on your age) your eyes might not be able to focus on a screen that is close enough to your face to resolve full hd resolution.

• Locked thread