Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sorry, everything is boring now, movies are boring, we can't scare our dumb idiot viewers with something they aren't expecting.

edit: it'll probably be fine in the movie but what was the last film we got with really wacky fashion? I miss that.

I liked Jupiter Rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

I'll even say that I love Hannibal. It's ridiculous in great ways and looks beautiful from start to finish. The dinner scene is incredible too, some people feel like the effect of that specific part of the scene doesn't hold up but the entire build up and everyone's performance (and Liotta's comedic timing) around it is amazing. The movie has a great sense of humor about it in general that I think was a smart direction to take the book's material in since, kind of like with the Xenomorph, I mean Hannibal Lector was played out super fast and "serial killer but supernaturally intelligent/sophisticated in some way instead of just being an rear end in a top hat drifter" was definitely the "monster" of the 90s. Hannibal is a great movie to close out that era.

Like with the Alien series I think it's really cool that we got three great movies (Manhunter, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal) that cover a lot of similar material in the same series with completely different directors and focuses. Shame about Hannibal Rising though. :P I've actually never seen the Red Dragon re-adaptation.

Hannibal loving owned.

Also, Gary Oldman on screen was genuinely hard to stomach. His phone conversation with Ray Liotta was fantastic.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

murex posted:

I'm still looking forward to it but yikes.

Reads like someone just really wanted to go to the bathroom and couldn’t reconcile free will and the biological imperative.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

murex posted:

Are you referring to my post or THE VERGE review?

Yes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tailored Sauce posted:

Can someone tell me what happened when Gosling and Joi were looking at that DNA sequencing thing towards the beginning of the movie? I had gotten up to pee and came back right when that scene ended with him saying "Wanna go for a ride?"

They find 2 DNA matches to the lock of hair recovered from Rachel's ossuary chest, one boy, one girl. According to the records they access, both were processed through the orphanage they subsequently visit, though the girl has been marked deceased. Here is where K begins to assume/believe that based on his memory, that he was the boy.

e: probably misremembered the lock of hair bit here

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 7, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
FWIW I don't think he was phoning in Han Solo either. It's a subtler role, maybe. It depends on what they actually tell us about Rey in this next one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

algebra testes posted:

They had a breadcrumb in the date of birth found at the tree / on the horse in his memory, so they looked at the records of everyone born that day and found two people with matching DNA from the same orphanage, which was as far as we can tell another breadcrumb to get him to find the horse

That Joi part in the crashing air-car sequence was so loving good, both before and after

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

They didn't come out during the summer though. LOTR is one hell of a 'summer epic kind of movie'.

I thought it would make more sense if the sexbot K sexes up, is the child, her bangs were the same as Rachael. Why would the rebel leader hide the child in some hamster ball? She's out making her work her womb. The memory gal did say that she was one of places that make memories for the robots.

Probably would be just too obvious to have a skinjob prostitute getting pregnant.

I would consider that the memorymaker basically inserting bits of her intellectual/psychological self into nearly every production line replicant to be a more satisfying way to demonstrate the non-biological aspects of parenthood and child development, anyway. The irony is that they give her a fully functional womb that she doesn't even need, to still become almost literally parent to every single one of them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 7, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

He had some with some degree of freedom though. Its not like he had them in chains. Somehow he would stop them from escaping? Wouldn't they just escape and breed anyway? He would just make some huge robot sex factory?

The systemic oppression of an entire set of people is not justified or excused if you pick a couple of them to help you subjugate them with.

Baseline testing as the new V-K test and their shared consequence for failure should be pretty clear about what exactly happens to replicants who gain enough independence.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. I found that relationship pretty fascinating, but it never felt to me like Joi was actually a self-conscious person, as opposed to being a super-advanced chat bot that was effectively adapting to its conversational partner. I'm sure that comes down to assumptions that I have about organic brains having a certain something that computers lack, and that something being necessary for consciousness.

That's basically the attitude that humans take against replicants in both movies, though. And the first movie definitely makes you come down on the side of the replicants. Everyone's preprogrammed to some extent. It's what you do afterwards that make you you.

Tenzarin posted:

They showed that the Luv was monitoring the chatbot. I think someone already implied that they made it to trick a robot to reveal itself as the Rachael spawn but they never knew for sure one existed until the movie started.

Are you sure? I remember the sequence of Luv following the hovercar with a ... remote operated missile platform, I guess. I mean it wouldn't surprise me if she did follow K at some point via the emanator, because Act 2 ends with Joi telling K to download her and break the emanator antenna afterwards. Luv tracks K down not via the emanator but via probably some kind of implant all the Blade Runner replicant officers get, from Joshi's station at the police HQ.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

KyloWinter posted:

Because you can just code for working gonads? Also because they have almost fully human DNA? Obviously mitosis is working so there seems to be no reason for meiosis to not work?

The whole replicants can't reproduce and don't have souls/aren't humans only works if they aren't made of DNA.

Development doesn’t work that way. Genes don’t code for your adult appearance directly but the biochemical processes and the various timings and responses that result in a single fertilized egg growing over time into you.

The gene coding of an assembled adult replicant “just” has to be coherent enough to get an approximation of human cellular replacement working.

Assuming Rachel was not built as a fetus and grown over time into the adult form, Tyrell must’ve had some kind of breakthrough in building a full adult reproductory system. Even then he hosed up on the build and didn’t account for actual childbirth, hence needing the caesarean that ended up killing Rachel.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Every replicant wanted to be Rachel’s child, it’s a wish fulfillment vehicle for their universal longing, one which K expresses to Joshi in his apartment chat, that is, to be a real boy. If you’re born you have a soul being the prevalent internalized prejudice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

K still technically kills Deckard. "You drowned out there."

Is there a reason why the Replicants can lie when Joshi assumes they can't? Luv throws this in her face before she kills her. Is Joshi just wrong?

Also K refers to not being able to tell Joshi no, but the Replicants seem just fine going against that as well.

It seems like their programming isn't quite so locked up. Is this stuff explained better in outside lore or something?

But all the dinosaurs are female ... ?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Grey Fox posted:

I'm digging the idea of a company creating an artificial person (sold for a profit) that gets lonely and has to hold down a job so he can keep buying poo poo from the company that made him to satisfy his desire for companionship.

Or worse, he’s a licensed subscription product and the police department is basically spending on what amounts to IAP.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

titanium posted:

RE: Joi, I found it odd (if programmed) the company would sanction having her call up prostitutes their customers thought were attractive. Because of that and her willingness to take a stand and get offloaded into the portable device alone I think she was more than standard. If that's not the case in the end what does it matter, she provided the exact thing K wanted besides touch. I also thought there might be some greater attachment to her since his existence was seen as a step down from humanity and I imagine her's was seen as another step down from Replicants.

I loved the movie but while walking out I heard someone say "I dont get why the old guy (Harrison Ford) was in it, what was the point of all that". Even if you didn't see the original and just listened during this movie you could get a base understanding.....anyway this is my one post I get from jail seeyah.

The prostitutes are also a Wallace product. “Syncsex” in this case would be like ... like... an Alexa module, perhaps. Like Linguica said in a post, having actual sex with your e-waifu has got to be like item #1 on a wishlist.

The human factor is what surrounds her decision to perform that act, before and after.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Origami Dali posted:

Saw it last night, movie is great.

But like the first film, I'm still unclear on what a replicant actually is. I was under the impression that they were androids, part organic part machine, like a Terminator, or maybe wholly machine but entirely lifelike, like Ava from Ex Machina. But at no point do we see any nonorganic machinery behind the replicant facade. They bleed, seemingly have organs, bones, DNA. So are they just genetically engineered humans then? If that's the case, then the interesting argument about the line between replicant and human seems less interesting or difficult.

Is the argument for the replicant v. human dichotomy, in the logic of the movies, just that if someone isn't "traditionally" born, they don't have a soul and thus aren't a person (this seems to be the justification for the dichotomy that Robin Wright gives)? Like everyone has been saying, the issue of Joi being a person is the most interesting bit here because she's entirely synthetic. If replicants aren't synthetic, then the question of their personhood just feels like a reiteration of the question "are genetically engineered/modified babies people?" or "are clones people?", which is a far less intriguing issue to me.

In BR1 they wouldn't have bothered with the V-K test if replicants could be distinguished from baseline human beings via simple physical/observational tests.

They appear to be kind of like, organisms constructed of 3D-printed tissue that otherwise looks ordinary.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

I really liked this movie but didn’t feel it needed to be so long. The slow pace made sense for the first movie which is more of a tone poem, but this one doesn’t have that same feeling, so you really felt it all. The best example is that I went to the bathroom during the scene where K is telling Joi he needs to put her on the portable thing, and it was still happening when I got back.

That was like, 10 loving minutes in

also

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Reads like someone just really wanted to go to the bathroom and couldn’t reconcile free will and the biological imperative.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Max22 posted:

She wasn't a replicant.

Yes she was.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I am absolutely baffled and terrified that anyone could think the live action Ghost in the Shell was anything but forgettable, unnecessary garbage. :psyduck:

Ignoring the hilariously unselfaware whitewashing that they clumsily integrated into the plot itself, you've got stilted acting from the lead, an unwieldly and pointless cast (they added a new female character to the team...so she could have two lines), a hodgepodge of GitS Greatest Hits Scenes (but completely misunderstanding what made those scenes great) and a storyline that wouldn't be out of place inside of a superhero origin story.

I'm not down to argue the relative quality of the GitS remake (they were both shite) but lol if you think your blind worship of the original isn't blinding you to the fact that the best thing you can do in a remake is recontextualization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

Incidentally, Sean Young has brown eyes.

Rachael's V-K retina scan is of a green eye, though.

• Locked thread