Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

So, apparently, this dropped yesterday. Clip from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41YwCsjassk

Give me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also that clip was good and I liked it.

But yeah the Luke Scott promo was terrible. But so is everything else he's done. Just look at the quality of the terrific Happy Birthday David promo for Prometheus directed by some guy at an agency vs. the atrocious TED Talk that Luke Scott directed.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 11, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RedSpider posted:

The Weyland TED talk was by far the most intriguing viral clip for Prometheus, actually.

Hey, to each their own. I think that there's a wealth of fantastic character moments in the David 8 promo which give the most succinct, concentrated look into who David is and how he thinks - like the delicate, humbled reverence with which he says he thinks about "angels", sandwiched between the sins of man. I think the video is doubly important in the wake of his character revelations in Covenant. And I found the TED Talk to be over the top, poorly written, and poorly directed. I guess that it showed some insight into Weyland, but I find him a thoroughly uninteresting character who exists as an intentional cardboard cutout to contrast David.

RedSpider posted:

It looks like 2049 is going to be more about social commentary on climate change, poverty, etc. than the themes and agency of artificial intelligence of the original. It definitely looks more action oriented, too.

I wonder. It very well could be much more action-oriented to fit modern audience's tastes, but that idea goes against much of what Villeneuve has said in interviews. As an exercise a few years ago I tried to make my own deceptively edited trailer for the original Blade Runner just to see how it could be mismarketed in today's atmosphere. I don't think that it's far off the amount and type of action we see in the 2049 trailer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's more or less universally agreed upon to be the definitive version, although the peculiarities among the five main cuts of the film are almost another field of study unto itself.

I love the fan project Blade Runner: The Version You've Never Seen Before (not :filez:)

quote:

What it is is not a special cut to make the film better, not simply an extended version that incorperates deleted scenes, but the most thoroughly different version of the film possible that makes use of all the diferent versions and unseen footage to create a cut of the film as drastically different as can be had.

It's just a neat concept, and it's pretty cool to watch. It's like seeing a copy of Blade Runner that fell through a wormhole from another dimension.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Second short is out:

https://twitter.com/iTunesTrailers/...ave-bautista%2F

There's not much to it, but it's fun.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 14, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Movie Art of Syd Mead available for preorder. I hope there's a wealth of this kind of stuff coming down the pipeline trying to take advantage of the 2049 release.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Because it wouldn't be a Warner Bros. genre production without an anime tie-in, Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame is making a Blade Runner anime short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsxBzfmwVY

...I have no problem with this.

Also, is that meant to be the 3rd short? It's titled the same as the other, but I'm not sure that Shinichiro is an artist that Denis repsects on the same level as Luke Scott...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just wanted to say, this thread title makes me giggle every time every time I see it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do I get my hands on this Blade Runner themed whiskey/scotch?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm pretty sure I've seen those glasses for like $20 on prop maker forums.

Ersatz posted:

Thanks for alerting me to this - looks like it's going to be a special edition of Johnnie Walker Black Label. Unless you're in a major city, your best bet would probably be a site like whiskeyexchange.com or masterofmalt.com.

But what if I do live in a major city? I can't seem to find any information on how these are going to be distributed. Are they just going to be randomly on shelves and I just, like, call every fancy liquor store?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Last Crusade was the beginning of the end. You can see him slipping in places, like in the banter with Elsa in Venice. Fugitive he's good in, but it establishes the template he's still using today. I don't consider him bad in Air Force One, but he's certainly not good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I would like very much if you could possibly dig up where these prop maker forum posts about blade runner style tumblers were

This would've been ages ago - usually what happens with prop makers is that they get a group of other members to buy in to cover the costs, then if they get enough demand they'll do a second run. Otherwise you're just looking at those folks who bought in selling theirs on an individual basis, which become prohibitively more expensive. I took a look around and it seems like all that's available for sale right now is the Johnny Walker bottle from the first film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Early reactions:

http://www.slashfilm.com/blade-runner-2049-early-buzz-this-is-the-sci-fi-masterpiece-fans-hoped-for/

Thank god.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anime short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=637&v=BNVPl3NavWM

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

Yeah, Craig will be 51 when the movie comes out, which I think would put him behind only Roger Moore as oldest on-screen Bond.

But he looks decades younger than Moore did at the end of his run.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In View to a Kill, Moore looks like he's a well-aged 70 year old. Currently, Craig looks like a poorly aged 45 year old.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the anime short was rad but super derivative of the first film. Also felt a lot like the Second Renaissance shorts from Animatrix in that it's way more interested in giving background exposition than telling a story. Pretty, though, and cool. But the fact that it didn't even have original music was disappointing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I accidentally moused over the spoiler and now I'm sad.

Okay, that confirms it. I don't want this to be me. I'm out of the thread. Glanced at a couple reviews earlier that specifically said they were spoiler free, but if I keep playing with fire I'm gonna get burned. No more BR talk for me until next Sunday.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That'd be dope without the logo and background texture. If it were on black it'd be 🔥

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bill Dungsroman posted:

My interpretation of that is that if Tyrell could make a replicant that appeared human by all accounts (hence no super strength), and didn't know it was a replicant, and was tasked with uncovering other replicants without ever guessing it was itself a replicant, then the possibility of manufacturing replicants who never question their existence (as the Nexus 6 models obviously do) is entirely valid.

My interpretation is that the unicorn memory is a failsafe put in all replicants, something to prove to them that they're artificial even if their memories otherwise tell them they're not.

As for Deckard, if he's a replicant (I don't think he is or is not - the ambiguity is the point) I figure he's the same as Rachel: "An experiment. Nothing more." By Tyrell's own admission, Rachel isn't Nexux 6 - she's something new and different. She takes an unusual number of VK questions, while it "usually takes" many more. Since Batty and the other replicants are in the field and have been for more than 3 years, they are the "usual" and Rachel must be a more advanced model. She seems to be there to prove how well implanted memories work. So Deckard (in the possibility where he's a replicant) must be there for a different test, especially since he's been in the field a while, otherwise all the human characters wouldn't have interacted with him as if they'd known him for years. If they were Gaff's memories and everyone were just "playing along" that makes sense, but the one that definitely doesn't read like that to me is his (deleted scene) conversation with Holden. I do like that theory as to why Gaff has the limp, though. And then technically it could be that Gaff has memories of a unicorn (but... why?) and is showing Deckard that it's his memories he has.

The only way I can make sense of it is that Rachel was an experiment in using real memories, and Deckard was an earlier experiment in using false memories.

But this all brings up something that was bothering me about the film: If Rachel is able to give birth, couldn't that be due to her experimental nature and mean that no other replicant would be capable of giving birth? Or is that intentional, and Wallace wants the child because their genetic makeup would unlock the secret to Rachel's ability to give birth? And if so, why not just use genetic material gained from her remains?

e: I know that's all overthinking it, but still, the question still lingers for me. Though the possibility that Wallace floats out there that Deckard and Rachel were made for each other certainly corresponds to it. But that doesn't ring true for me, since it never felt like Deckard and Rachel were in some great romance.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 9, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Woozy posted:

I've always sort of maintained that the point of the original is that replicant isn't some physical property of being, it's essentially a class relation. That is, what determines whether someone is a replicant isn't really the facts of their creation--they're explicitly written as being otherwise indistinguishable from human beings--it's their role in society, how they're treated by others, how they're looked upon, how they see themselves. Of course the Deckard of the original is a replicant! Maybe he was born, maybe he wasn't, but in either case he's a paid assassin looked upon by society with contempt, and one who will be quietly disposed of the second he breaks rank and refuses to serve his purpose. Anyone who today pushes a broom or assembles a circuit board is hardly any different from the artificial humans of the movie on this level. And the replicants of 2049 are not so much artificial humans as they are an artificial nation, one created to be colonized and exploited. They're a new third world, intended to transcend the limits of capitalist expansion geographically by opening horizons biologically. All of humanity is thus elevated to an oppressor class, albeit an intermediary one between the truly wealthy and their new toys, in exactly the same fashion as the workers of the first world are so elevated today--by inserting a second, more ruthlessly exploited class beneath them. Probably not a coincidence that the person who's lifelong ambition was to engineer this set of circumstances was such a big fan of slavery.

Deckard occupies a slightly more ambiguous position between replicant and human, straddling the social line between oppressor and oppressed by brokering between the two. He gets his little share of the pie and violently defends it. Yes, to the extent it makes sense to talk about the biological "facts" of a fictional world, he is one or he is the other. But solving that puzzle gets you absolutely nothing! Everything you need to know about Deckard is explained by the fact that he's a cop.

While I don't completely agree with this in its entirety, it fully evokes the Caves of Steel influences on the original BR in regards to class. Love this line of thinking and I'll definitely be pondering on it, especially in light of 2049's deepening of the themes.

starkebn posted:

Yes, the first half was flawless in my opinion and the second half, after he found Deckard, felt like it was written by someone else.

It was still strong enough that I enjoyed it though.

I can't really disagree. It reminds me a lot of my own writing where I come up with the first act, second act, and ending, but then for the third act just kinda go "...and throw a bunch of general third act things in there, like car chases and shooting and stuff" that get me to the end point.

But the second half had an adorably shaggy dog sooo

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 9, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I also wonder how they filmed Rachael's return. Did they bring her back for that part? Was the makeup so on-point that they de-aged her 35 years?

It was the best digital de-ageing/CG double work yet, but definitely still digital. Her muscles didn't move quite right and the light didn't react quite right to her skin. I'm guessing it's either just the newest example of a digital human that outclasses everything that's come before, or a new technique where they combine photographic elements from a stand-in with the digital model. Likely the former, since Tarkin was only one step behind this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is Wallace the only character in the movie/movies to have cybernetic enhancement? In a lot of cyberpunk stuff you'll have all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff bolted onto humans but Wallace sticks out. He has a little 'pill box' of clip in chips which I presume allow him to do other stuff than just control weird creepy flying cameras.

Well, I think it's more that it makes him explicitly Less Human Than Human to contrast the other characters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I was kind of hoping that the film had ended 10 seconds earlier, to be honest, although the friends I watched the film with disagreed.

It was the only bit of full-on fan service in the movie. Like a much less egregious version of the ending to Rogue One: tack on an ending that has nothing to do with the film we've watched just to give closure for a different film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That's not egregious. Jyn and Cassian had to openly defy the chickenshit leadership of the Rebel Alliance to accomplish their mission for the Rebellion. The end of the film is the fruit of their labour being handed over to a scion of said chickenshit leadership. It's deeply ambiguous even though you know what happens.

What does following the plans all the way to Leia accomplish that has anything to do with Jyn or Cassian's stories? Their mission was to transmit the plans, which they did successfully. Following the plans from transmission through a series of unknown characters hands all the way to a character that is completely absent from the rest of the film is completely unnecessary and only there because it's "cool" that it links up with ANH. It screws up the pacing and it takes the focus away from the story that we've been following for the previous hour and a half. K's journey ends when he successfully delivers Deckard to his daughter. Seeing what happens after that is totally unnecessary to the story of the film and exists only to comment on a separate text. It's vestigial.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I timed my pee to the orphanage scene that came out as a clip online :cool:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now I'm torn. I was going to do my second viewing in a theater with recliners and food, but now you folks are making me consider IMAX...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, but could someone very briefly explain why a lot of people here seem to hold Prometheus in high regard? Some great scenes, but I didn't like the movie as a whole.

David.

I'm sure a lot of folks could break it down in a lot more words that go a lot deeper than that, but in a nutshell I think that's the core of it. David's is one of the best characters in science fiction in decades. A sort of dark reflection of Roy Batty in his own strange way. I also happen to think the rest of the film is terrific as well, a few minor quibbles aside, and the philosophical questions within are fascinating. It's very much a companion piece to Blade Runner.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it is? $150 million production budget plus a sizable marketing budget, and the studio only gets a percentage of international. Before release the rumored number floating around about the film's necessary worldwide box office if it were to be profitable was $450 million. So, compared to what the studio was hoping for yes, this is getting crushed at the box office. Happy Death Day made almost as much this weekend as 2049 did last weekend.

But the film exists and we all got to watch it so it doesn't really matter :shrug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I did read a couple months back that Dune's greenlight was resting on the shoulders on 2049's success. So I wouldn't count on Dune actually happening anytime soon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also upping the fun factor in the LotR movies resulted in a total betrayal of the tone and spirit of the books. Made for some good blockbusters but a dreadful adaptation. And now because of them we'll likely never get an adaptation that actually feels like the books.

I'm not sure what a successful Dune adaptation looks like. I suspect it's a lot more like Game of Thrones than it is Lord of the Rings or Blade Runner 2049.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If Dune were adapted straight in an ideal way it'd be a huge disaster. There's no way a large enough modern audience would want to pick up what it's putting down. If it were made 10 years ago it'd be pitched as Lord of the Rings but in Space, today it'd be Game of Thrones but in Space. Neither are right but I think you've gotta find some sort of hook for this sort of material.

The ideal adaptation would've had to be Jodorowsky's, because I feel that's the only time a wide enough audience would've been open to the material in that form.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think we'll have to wait until some kid today grows up and becomes a Hollywood executive who dreams of making a Blade Runner: Uprising film. And then another 30 years until there's a Blade Runner: Off World film. Both will lose their jobs based on the greenlighting of their individual films, but if you're going to sacrifice your career to get a movie made, plenty have done it for far worse. Most of us will be dead or dying by the time the last one premieres, but at least the survivors will all still be debating about it on an internet forum with our calloused, arthritic fingers instead of being busy loving some sexy holograms like our great grandchildren.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

There were two Blade Runner video games. Most folks in this thread probably know about the 1998 adventure game one, but there was an action game for systems like the Commodore 64 too. There was a copyright kerfluffle where they got the rights to Vangelis' music but not technically to the movie, so to be safe the official title of the game on the packaging/etc. is Blade Runner - A VIDEO GAME INTERPRETATION OF THE FILM SCORE BY VANGELIS :laffo:

Somehow the existence of this game had remained unknown to me up until a few weeks ago. When I saw a clip of it pop up in my YouTube feed I assumed it was a joke, a gag about how terrible the Ghostbusters NES game was despite being high concept. The idea of it needing to be based off the soundtrack, combined with the offbeat gameplay mechanics and being forced to call them replidroids, just seemed too absurd. I couldn't fully disbelieve it because it was too well done, but it seemed far, far more likely that it just was a funny fan de-make.

Once again reality got the better of me after I looked it up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't that the premise of that white supremacist novel Hunter? Yeesh. What a shame, had been seeing screenshots for that around and thought it looked pretty neat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

SALLIE: They'd better have a loving dump truck full of money.

That actress got paid a day rate. A few thousand max. I think the script should read more like:

AGENT: There's a part in a major Hollywood film that--

SALLIE: Yes, I'm in.

- END -

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol: last week I got my Art of Syd Mead book in the mail and really enjoyed looking through it. My favorite part was seeing the concept art for my favorite unfilmed scene from the first film: where after Batty kills Tyrell, he turns to Sebastian and asserts that was a replicant, then Sebastian takes him to the cryogenic freezing room where the real Tyrell's body had been dead for years after a power outage destroyed his cryopod. That scene has always lit my imagination up, and I imagined how moody and tragic and weird and bittersweet it all would be.

Well I'm listening to the terrific Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith episode where he's interviewing Fancher & Peoples about their early drafts. One of them mentioned that after Ridley came to him with the idea of the scene, he suggested that instead of a cryopod that Tyrell's brain had been digitally transferred to the brain of a shark and that Tyrell had been swimming around in a shark's body for years deep in the depths of the Tyrell Corporation.

Also, the podcast is great just because Fancher and Goldsmith are constantly (mostly jokingly) sniping at each other and how much the other ruined their drafts of the screenplay, since they kept going back and forth. Apparently both of them thought the other wrote the terrible voiceover track until after they watched the first cut.

e: Also, side note: as referenced in Goldsmith'ss podcast, apparently you can just go into the Margaret Herrick Library in Hollywood and read first, second, etc. drafts of screenplays that have never been available publicly. They have early drafts of The Phantom Menace according to their site search!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 19, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If I made a lunch field trip to here, what else should I look up?

That's such a difficult question. I just want to spend a week pouring over dozens and dozens of early screenplay drafts. They've got a lot from my initial search, but not my holy grails (the pre-Kasdan Empire Strikes Back, the full Assassination of Jesse James script, etc). But before you go, you can search their collection on their site. Apparently Goldsmith also used the Writers Guild Foundation Library. My industry friend said he didn't think the Herrick Library needed credentials or anything to go to, but the WGA might. I know Goldsmith is a screenwriter so maybe he was able to access that collection in a way we wouldn't.

In terms of Blade Runner I'd vote for looking up any more hints about what the off world colonies were like, what the world outside the city was like, any details about replicants in society, and societal bias against replicants. Bits and pieces of that are available in drafts that are searchable online, but Goldsmith talked about things that were cut out before those drafts.

e: But, uh, yeah. The most important thing I saw in my search was an early Phantom Menace draft. Would love to hear more definitively about how that changed.

e2: Just reread what I wrote, and to clarify: Ridley wanted the scene to be about the cryopod. Which ever writer it was wanted the shark. Needless to say, Scott's viewpont won out til it was cut.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 19, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If I made a lunch field trip to here, what else should I look up?

Oh, also, they kept referencing a scene where Leon and Deckard originally met, a "cockroach scene" in a diner. Would love to know more about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

starkebn posted:

I figured the "ziplock bag" was just a modernised version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt7twXzNEsQ

I mean, there was a direct visual quote in this. Which is Blade Runner 1.5.

• Locked thread