Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Humanity is a spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

In the heat of the moment seeing it for the first time it looked incredible to me but I can see how it wouldn't hold up to repeated viewings. I mean, it looks REALLY good just the same.

Speaking of this sort of use of actors, something I respected about the 1997 Blade Runner video game is that they actually got Sean Young, James Hong, Brion James, etc. to not only provide voice work but their own motion capture work too. They went super ambitious with how the character models were rendered too which has sort of mixed results today, but it's cool how much performance they were able to capture in some cases for when the game was made. This was concurrent with when Batman Forever did mocap for the scenes of him swinging/falling around and stuff.

It's really a shame that they lost the original source files, since the game was built with voxels. If they had those files and wanted to do an HD version today they Could have just all scaled up with no issue and had something resembling a modern game.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

doesn't that imply that you die every time you go to sleep

Consciousness is an illusion and lacks any meaningful definition.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes, 74 pages about how pretty the movie is, that's what this thread is!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys this thing has been out on VOD for a couple days. Where are the gorgeous screenshots? I'm waiting for the Blu...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For anyone who hasn't bought the Blu, it has this sad, sad testimonial featured as the most prominent element on the back:

quote:

This stunningly elegant follow-up doesn't depend on having seen the original.

Like, there's nothing wrong with that in vacuum, but it's so transparently marketed as a failure it's a bit depressing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Deckard is neither human nor replicant. The ambiguity is the point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xealot posted:

I feel similarly. It felt more like a casting problem to me, than Leto loving it up. They cast an actor known for big, strange performances in a role that's already big and strange, so it's hardly surprising that he went loud and operatic with it. An actor who doesn't do that, or who doesn't *need* to, might've left some room for other character notes.

Bowie would've been stunt-casting, but at least he'd have brought charisma to a profoundly offputting character, which might've been an interesting tension. My weird fan-casting thought would've been someone who conveyed real warmth or kindness, so Wallace's cruelty would be more shocking. Rather than presenting a menacing douchebag who's megalomania feels kind of like a cartoon.

Wallace being a Walt Disney type figure would've been really interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I liked this the first time, but I was very guarded about it due to my love of the first. I rewatched it a couple of weeks ago for the first time since seeing it in the theater and since then it's been worming its way into my heart and brain. I just really love it, and I feel so lucky we got it.

The only thing I wish is that the same story were able to be told with a little less grim commentary on how society treats women and offer us some respite from that in a positive context. It's one of those things where I can really see the argument either way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Leto took a very straightforward role and did nothing with it. A more interesting actor or one with more inherent charisma really could have elevated Wallace. Leto is only bad because so many actors could have been better, but he's totally serviceable as-is.

Imagine Anthony Hopkins in Westworld mode reading those same lines and you get a decent sense of how much of a missed opportunity it was. Not that he's my ideal person for the role, but he's very easy to imagine in it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm all in favor of more Bowie or Combs or Glover, but I don't think anyone really could have saved the Wallace role as written. If these things are really so slow and expensive to produce that human-style childbirth would be a game-changing improvement and the most important thing going on in your life, maybe don't break one in service of the monologue that only your fanatically loyal assistant is watching anyway. You'd need better lines to sell that as anything but hopelessly goofy no matter how weird you play the character.

Kinda missing the point. He wants them to be self-replicating in order to free them from bondage to the manufacturing process and let them populate the universe.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 15, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Irony.or.Death posted:

I can buy that it is somehow emotionally different from a human perspective, but other than as a matter of time and cost how would that be practically different from just handing them instructions for the manufacturing process and telling them to go nuts? It's a perspective that works better as metaphor than it does textually, which again I don't think is something you can sell just by force of acting.

Nah. Much like K, this is an entire society of people who are told that they're sub-human, they're beaten down by it daily, and the only thing keeping them from being fully human is that they can't give birth. Replicant isn't just a class divide, it's a physical one. It's the only thing keeping replicants as slaves to humanity. The only thing keeping them apart from humanity. Metaphorically, emotionally, societally, and practically.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 15, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

porfiria posted:

The revolution stuff feels a bit thin because, honestly, it's way too optimistic--everything else feels like a pretty spot on evocation of the now, but does anyone actually think a bunch of freedom-loving revolutionaries are going to take the fight to the Man?

It's a big reason why I still feel a little icky about the film's sexual politics. If they can be that unrealistic with upending the class divide they could've been just as unrealistic with evolving society's treatment of women. V's argument of "I wanted to hold up a mirror to our times in order to provide commentary on how society treats its women poorly, and providing a counterpoint to that would have lessened its impact" is a stark contrast to the revolution stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Thinking about this... He stabbed the new replicant; are we shown that this kills her? Maybe Wallace sends her off to be stitched back up and put to whatever duty she was designed for.

Think about it like this: replicants are a are human beings. The difference is just a class label. Is this something that would make sense for a human being?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It'll probably all be typical spinoff nonsense revolving around attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion or whatever, but it sounds like we're getting a new Blade Runner expanded universe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You can clearly see Luv experiencing natural emotions that she's fighting against a number of times. Whether she's fighting against them out of a loyalty to Wallace (and a desire to be "the best one") or because she's programmed to is technically ambiguous. But the former makes a whole lot more sense to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Luckily the directors cut of this movie was the theatrical. But I'd be so down for an alternate cut where we get the OG score and more of whatever slow ponderous footage they wanna give me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

one was a newborn.

With likely no implanted memories whatsoever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The animated short had zero imagination beyond regurgitating the original film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This is neat, a producer's on-set journal has been published by Collider. Apparently Blade Runner: Time to Live was a frontrunner for title.

• Locked thread