Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Did this get a better bluray release outside of the US? This disc is sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

starkebn posted:

Nearly the whole movie is from K's viewpoint. You find out about the rebellious replicants when he does.

See, this is how I took it the first time I saw it.

Origami Dali posted:

I like that the replicant rebel army scene was so short and out of nowhere, to the point where as an audience member you don't care, because K seemed to respond the same way. Their cause isn't as important to him as his own.

But on a recent viewing, it feels like the way the scene plays, the movie wants you to care about this rebel cause, yet as a viewer I don't because I have no idea who these random people are.

Tenzarin posted:

Literally the only people who recently learn the child exists are the bad guys and the first thing they do is start trying to kill their way to the child.

Thinking about it further, I'm not sure what Wright's motivation to stop Wallace from finding the child is. It isn't like Wallace has the interests of replicants at heart. The only thing killing the child would accomplish is to prevent Wallace from finding her, gutting her, and discovering Tyrell's secret birth mods so he can build a larger slave workforce, the results of which would have made replicant lives worse and, presumably (by Wallace's reasoning), human lives better.

Even Luv tells Wright that "In the face of the fabulous new, your only thought is to kill it, for fear of great change." but what change is she talking about? Dissolving the line between human and replicant? Luv is fighting for the opportunity breed slaves on a massive scale, and Wright is fighting to maintain the line between slave and free person. They're on the same side.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

She clearly doesn't believe that Wallace will be able to control the situation...

Considering you've got these ex-Facebook tech types now saying they sort of knew the risks of the new social technology they were dealing with and ignored them because they were blinded by the light of "innovation", and now regret the havoc they've caused, yeah, I can buy that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like how the opening crawl of Blade Runner establishes that replicants weren't declared illegal on Earth until the Nexus 6 models rebelled, yet the conversation between Deckard and Bryant made it clear that they were newer models that experienced emotions, and not something they were used to dealing with. That's why Deckard was (supposedly) sent to Tyrell, to test the effectiveness of the VK on a model he's never seen ("what if it doesn't work?"). Deckard didn't even know their lifespan, yet Blade Runners were supposedly originally formed in response to the Nexus 6 problem. The point is that there's plenty of holes like this and it's whatever.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Papercut posted:

His impersonation of an animal abuse investigator was total amateur hour, too.

The funniest part is that he didn't even need to do a weird voice. I guess he was trying to seem weak or unthreatening, but he could've just played it normally and it wouldn't have been so obvious. Cassidy seems to genuinely laugh at how bad it is when she says "are you for real?".

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, you misread.

Reading it again, yeah, that's possible.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Papercut posted:

Ford also slips in and out of the voice as the scene goes on. I can't tell if it's intentional, like Deckard is trying to spook her into doing something irrational, or just Ford being lazy as gently caress.

Yes. He even stammers and halts like he forgot his spiel and looks up as if he's trying to remember his lines, it's like an outtake that they just left in. I suppose they could be trying to convey that Deck's heart isn't in it, and he really doesn't want to be doing this. After all, after Taffy gives him the brush off, instead of pressing him further like any good detective would, he just decides to get drunk and call Rachael. He only accidentally finds Zhora because he hung out long enough to see her act. After he kills her, he's shook as hell and has to buy some booze. Maybe he was good once, but despite what Bryant thinks ("he's a goddamn one man slaughterhouse."), Deck's all washed up.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, Joi isn't literally syncing with Mariette like your phone syncs to itunes because replicants aren't machines.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If you're asking within the context of the movie, K didn't choose that tone. It was seemingly the default tone for the Wallace Joi emanator, which is why Luv and Mariette instantly recognize it. Still could be a thematic reason Villeneuve chose it, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
K shows the guy at the orphanage his badge...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd like to read Fancher's original draft.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wonder if we'll ever hear any of Jóhann Jóhannsson's rejected score.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They should have cast Crispin Glover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A replicant revolution/war movie would be uninteresting as hell.

• Locked thread